Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2022, 09:50 AM   #1
vetpenny

Default 1940 ford radiator from Eckler antique ford parts

I have located what appears to be a duplicate of a 1940 ford pickup radiator. I have called Eckler antique ford parts and they confirmed that they have this radiator and it would take 10 weeks to three months to deliver and would cost $850 plus shipping. Apparently Eckler is a spin off from Drake's and started producing this radiator in the 2015-present time frame. Before I proceed to purchase the radiator, I would welcome any comments that anyone may have regarding the quality, performance etc of this radiator. Thanks for your help.
vetpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:07 AM   #2
51504bat

Default Re: 1940 ford radiator from Eckler antique ford parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetpenny View Post
I have located what appears to be a duplicate of a 1940 ford pickup radiator. I have called Eckler antique ford parts and they confirmed that they have this radiator and it would take 10 weeks to three months to deliver and would cost $850 plus shipping. Apparently Eckler is a spin off from Drake's and started producing this radiator in the 2015-present time frame. Before I proceed to purchase the radiator, I would welcome any comments that anyone may have regarding the quality, performance etc of this radiator. Thanks for your help.

Check with Brassworks. A bit more money and about the same lead time - maybe more or maybe less. BUT, you won't have to ask about the quality or performance. JMO
https://thebrassworks.net/collection...d-restorations
Old 01-27-2022, 10:42 AM   #3
kirkf

I ordered mine from Bob Drake just before Christmas and it shipped in 2-3 days, so I'm surprised they are giving you such a long lead time. Maybe I got the last one.

I've noticed that 1940 parts are rapidly disappearing and most are marked discontinued.

I think we are running off old stock that was made 10 - 20 years ago on a lot of these items, and now that they are gone, there is no market justification to replace them.

As for the radiator itself, it looks like a well built unit, but i haven't installed or tested it.
I noticed that for my pickup the mounting holes from the radiator to the frame are 1/2" too narrow (and my frame is straight) but that may be because my truck is Canadian.

Kirk

Kirk
kirkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:53 AM   #4
paul2748

I don't know about the spinoff from Drakes, but Eckler's is the Chevy parts people who bought out the Ford parts stores in New York. They have a not so good rep.

Drakes, Carpenter and Brass Works would seem to be the logical places to go to. Also C & G, Third Gen Auto, Green Sales, Early Ford V8 Sales, Sacramento Vintage Ford and Gotham Auto parts are additional sources.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:16 AM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetpenny View Post
I'd stay far away from Eckler's if at all possible. If Drake has any radiators remaining, well, they are decent quality.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:46 AM   #6
deuce_roadster

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have a Drake radiator in my 40 V8 coupe and it fit and works fine. The plastic drain valve is the only thing I wish was different. The drain works fine so I didn't investigate changing it.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:21 PM   #7
Charlie ny
BANNED

Ditto what Kube said
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:45 PM   #8
Newc

The sell off of Ford reproduction parts continues with no new production replacements Started a few yrs ago. now it is molded running boards. Still '40 dlx hood mechanisms, ect. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote