Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2022, 03:02 AM   #121
petehoovie

Default Re: Winter without a project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
AND.... Today being a weekend, Saturday I got the 4 speed bolted up to the six and today I cranked up the engine/trans with my 5 ton Beebe Brothers hand crank winch and rolled the chassis underneath and lowered the assembly onto its mounts. FUNNY, I always thought those forward holes were for the SIX, but my H dropped right into the same engine mount holes as the V8. Maybe the G needed those forward mount holes. I do know for a fact that I will need to move the rad support forward to the six cyl mount rad holes and I do have a shroud/ hood latch assembly made for the six. I think it will all go quite seemlessly. I have never had a flathead six, but from what I read they have the low end torque and the V8 beats them at 75 mph plus. This 40 mph island is all about steep hills, and I LOVE the T-8 / T9 crash box transmission. Some of you know I did a very similar tonner PU 2 years ago with a cummins diesel and a GM sm465 granny low 4 speed. While synchro in 3 gears, the GM tranny is a bear to shift. The Ford's crashbox, once you get used to it, glides into every gear like silk. Can't wait to drive a low end torque six, mated to my favorite transmission.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:04 AM   #122
Tinker

Looking good!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:47 AM   #123
GB SISSON

Thanks . That lower pic gives one the scale showing how large these 7.50 x 17 tires are. I held back on painting the engine and frame this time. It is hard to know where to stop. My mission here is to marry a pretty decent engine-less truck with a good running engine. They both arrived here in two different trading deals and deserved to be put together. Not exactly sure what the future holds for this truck, but it will be a functional vehicle in a couple of months. One thing I will need to source is the six cyl type of accelerator pedal and likkage. I think the rod to the carb pushes instead of pulling to increase speed.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:27 PM   #124
GB SISSON

Went into my back woods after lunch and found two complete six cylinder type pedal and linkage assemblies on old cabs. Now I need a driver's side battery box. Haven't found one. Anybody have a picture of one and how far from the firewall it's located? Looks like it's gonna be in the way of the dipstick, the oil filter or the distributer. I have no intention of blocking access to the distributor though.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 01-24-2022, 11:25 PM   #125
GB SISSON

My little foray after lunch netted me a jailbar firewall 'kidney cover' as well as the two pedal assemblies for the six. Not sure, but might need to be altered, as the six during the jailbar years was the G model, not my H. The upper one in the photo I think is straight. The lower one came from a slightly stove in firewall. If you live in Maine the firewall was staved in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg six throttle linkage.jpg (121.8 KB, 237 views)
Old 01-25-2022, 12:31 AM   #126
petehoovie

Quote:
My little foray after lunch netted me a jailbar firewall 'kidney cover' as well as the two pedal assemblies for the six. Not sure, but might need to be altered, as the six during the jailbar years was the G model, not my H. The upper one in the photo I think is straight. The lower one came from a slightly stove in firewall. If you live in Maine the firewall was staved in.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 01-25-2022, 12:58 AM   #127
cas3

Those "kidney cover's" are usually missing from swap meet, auction buys, good score
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:53 AM   #128
sugarmaker

Gary,
Man is that nice to walk out to the vast warehouse and find most of the part you need!
I am sure with some minor engineer changes you can adapt the push to a pull system for throttle. Or a string could work too? Just sayin......
How come your work bench and mine look the same?
And yes its a very slippery slop to know when to put down the grinder and paint! I have some difficulty with that too. but the older i get the easier it is for me to be lazy and not clean and paint. I play the patina card a lot!
Thanks for the updates! Your moving right along on this jailbar! It will be so happy to move again!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:49 PM   #129
GB SISSON

My warehouse in the woods. I need to set the other cab on a pallet. Stuff doesn't last long on the damp earth. Just out of the picture is a faitly complete but rusty tonner. It has a crack free 2 spoke wheel and a Southwind heater to donate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jailbar junkyard.jpg (192.0 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg Oscars wheel.jpg (130.7 KB, 224 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 01-26-2022 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:04 AM   #130
petehoovie

Quote:
My warehouse in the woods. I need to set the other cab on a pallet. Stuff doesn't last long on the damp earth. Just out of the picture is a faitly complete but rusty tonner. It has a crack free 2 spoke wheel and a Southwind heater to donate

Old 01-26-2022, 12:40 PM   #131
cas3

And...looks like a windshield garnish molding that not rusted thru like on my 41, and most others here in the frozen swamp
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:04 PM   #132
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
And...looks like a windshield garnish molding that not rusted thru like on my 41, and most others here in the frozen swamp
Sounds like your 'frozen swamp' neighborhood is similar to Western Washington. That's why I like to get my vehicles from the other side of the Cascades. You can have that garnish molding if you want it. It looks rather pitted though. I can get you some pics tomorrow. I might have a better one too. Last night I wire wheeled the better accelerator assembly and since it was from East of the Cascades, it cleaned up nicely. Funny, it was on a bare cab when I bought it 6 or so years ago and then sat in my woods since then. I am often amazed with the condition of ford parts when left out in the elements. Frames etc. seem to handle the exposure to weather very well. Today I it was sunny and beautiful so I quit work at about 3 and built a battery box for the driver side. (a six cyl thing) as manifolds are on the pass. side. Pics later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silver spoon.jpg (44.3 KB, 192 views)
Old 01-26-2022, 09:08 PM   #133
petehoovie

Quote:
Last night I wire wheeled the better accelerator assembly and since it was from East of the Cascades, it cleaned up nicely.

Old 01-26-2022, 09:29 PM   #134
GB SISSON

Thanks Pete. I called that picture 'silver spoon' when I saved it. Dang, you are working overtime on my crummy little thread. I owe you, big time, and here's that battery box I built this afternoon. The uprights are 1 1/2" square tubing with 1/4" wall. Everything came from my big ugly scrap pile. Back when the ex had us going to church I remember there was a bible verse ' Do not store up treasures on earth where moth and rust destroy'.... I beg to differ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg six cyl battery tray.jpg (126.1 KB, 199 views)
Old 01-26-2022, 10:47 PM   #135
petehoovie

Quote:
here's that battery box I built this afternoon. The uprights are 1 1/2" square tubing with 1/4" wall. Everything came from my big ugly scrap pile.

Old 01-26-2022, 11:45 PM   #136
GB SISSON

It's 8:40 here and 32 degrees on the back porch thermometer. Just came up from more wire wheeling. It's Wednesday again, the night I get to stay out all night because my wife is on a 24 hour eldercare shift. Last week I made that video. Tonight somehow I have Tanya Tucker crankin it up while I am de-rusting... Dammit, gonna be 69 in May and I just can't seem to figure out how to be a 'proper adult'. Oh well.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:12 AM   #137
flatford8

“If you live in Maine the firewall was staved in.“
If it already happened it was “stove in”. If your about to do it, as in “I’m gonna stave it in, then she’ll fit”. The dialect may be different up the road......great job out there bud!.....
.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:26 AM   #138
sugarmaker

Gary,
I like to have some type of music playing if I am working too! I do a lot by myself and it somehow keeps me motivated. I really like the battery tray and support! Well designed and built. The truck looks great with the engine in place. My guess is you will like the low end torque of the 6 cyl.
You're making great progress! Must not be far from firing it up??
Thanks for the update.
Now I need to get out and work on something!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:16 AM   #139
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
“If you live in Maine the firewall was staved in.“
If it already happened it was “stove in”. If your about to do it, as in “I’m gonna stave it in, then she’ll fit”. The dialect may be different up the road......great job out there bud!.....
.....Mark

At least it didn't have the East Coast wheel barrow tub firewall modification.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:14 AM   #140
GB SISSON

When I was a kid my folks had a set of bookends with the bow of a lapstrake whaleboat pitching outa the sea with a harpooner hanging over the stem poised to strike. There was an inscription on the base that read 'A dead whale or a stove boat'. That always seemed odd until I worked in Maine for a couple of years in my early 20s. My Mom was from New Bedford Ma. For many years known as the whaling capitol of the world. Thanks Mark for the proper usage. Out West we use a radio flyer wagon tub when extra room is required in the engine bay. Staving is ok for an inch or so, but it has it's limits. Thanks again my friends!