Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2022, 06:25 PM   #1
nkaminar

Default Some people should not own a Model A

This post is not meant to be insulting to anyone, it is just something that I have observed. Some people who buy Model A’s are not qualified to repair or maintain them. I am the same way with my new Toyota Camry hybrid. I have not even opened the hood. I take it to the dealer for regular service and would do the same it I had a problem with it. I am sure most new Model A owners in 1928 were the same way. They took it to the dealer for service or if something was amiss.

The Ford dealer is no longer equipped to work on a Model A. The same with most automotive repair shops (there are exceptions). So the Model A owner becomes his own mechanic. Or, if they are lucky, they have a Model A mechanic in the local area and can afford to have them work on the car. Other lucky new Model A owners are capable of learning how to work on their cars. But I see owners who are not mechanically inclined and who are struggling. Our job is to try and help these people but in some cases it is difficult. In my opinion, there are some people, who because of circumstances, should not buy Model A’s.

How do others feel about this?
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:54 PM   #2
fundytides

Default Re: Some people should not own a Model A

I don't really agree with this as a blanket statement. When I acquired my first Model A, I was a complete novice with very little mechanical experience. The A was a great car to learn on and gain confidence in my mechanical ability. If it had turned out that I couldn't learn the basics of repair and maintenance, I probably would not have continued in the hobby for the last 65 years but if I hadn't tried, I wouldn't have known. My first "major" repair was replacement of a broken piston. My Dad who had little mechanical ability recommended that I find someone to fix it and left. My grandfather, who had zero mechanical ability, said that instead of standing around looking at it and wondering, I should dive in. I did and it worked out fine. I had another friend who bought an A roadster in excellent condition and drove it for years before he passed away. Always enjoyed the car and had very little trouble with it and when he did one of the guys in the club or one of the older mechanics in the area would fix it. Opinions will vary, but I think anyone who feels that they want and old car should give it a try. It will either work out fine for their particular abilities or they will learn that it is not for them.
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:58 PM   #3
Oldgearz

I'm pretty dumb on my computer, but I still have three. To each his own is my belief. But....I can see where you are coming from. If lack of maintenance causes safety issues for the owner as well as others on the road, that's a different story.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:05 PM   #4
MickyD

When I was 16 I pulled the engine out of my 53 Ford Victoria. I read every book I could on that car. I pulled the engine for two blocks on a car dolly to a engine rebuild shop. They rebuild it for me and brought it back to my house and lowered it back into my car. I have worked on every car I have had since then. I knew nothing about my 28 Model A Roadster when I bought it in 2014. I have learned a lot since then and am still learning. By the way I will be 76 in 2 months. Never too old to learn. When asked in 1995 by my son in law "where did you learn so much about cars? My answer was. Read books and read more. I still have a lot more to read on my 28.
MickyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:09 PM   #5
Russ/40

Agree 100%, but not with the "A" exclusive. Some people should not have any kind of old or Classic Car. If you cannot repair it yourself, or afford to have it maintained properly, you should leave ownership to others.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:24 PM   #6
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Agree 100%, but not with the "A" exclusive. Some people should not have any kind of old or Classic Car. If you cannot repair it yourself, or afford to have it maintained properly, you should leave ownership to others.

Agreed. Poorly maintained car are a danger to the public in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:31 PM   #7
wwirz

There is much information on Model As....forums such as this, the Les Andrews REDBOOK, YOUTUBE videos and of course joining a Model A club. The other thing about Model A ownership is do not be afraid to ask questions of knowledgeable people before getting in over your head. We need to be careful about scaring people away from the hobby or getting so frustrated they give up ownership.....what a disappointment. I enjoy helping people on their cars. Our club is embarking on an "outreach" to other Model A owners in need of some help. Keep the As running safely and keep everyone happy with the hobby.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:15 PM   #8
rfitzpatrick

My concerns is finding a replacement when our club mechanic shuts it down. We're both 80 this Summer. Now I can afford to hire the work, finding someone may be the problem
instead. It keeps me awake sometimes
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:16 PM   #9
ronn

nk, I have to totally disagree with you, but do get where you are coming from.

The one thing I like about this hobby is there is a 180 degrees of difference in various collectors, and all are acceptable, with 179 grey shades in between. to each his own in how they would like to collect.
there is always the option of stamps and coins, where they are only stared at..... but one can do that with a car as well.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:25 PM   #10
old ugly

i think if you want one and can afford it and if you are allowed to own it you can have it, i think that applies to everything.

if you are not of an aptitude that enables you to maintain your car you will have to reach out for help.

a person that does not have the ability or aptitude to be mechanical can read a thousand books on how to fix a model A ford and still not be able to fix it.

i am real old and have just recently realized that some people just do not have their brain wired in a fashion that enables them to understand mechanics,
my wife's two boys (mid thirties) have professional jobs and are good at nonmechanial functions, but they have zero ability to understand, fix or make anything to do with mechanical.
i have showed them how things work
i have had them attempt to help me work on stuff.
i have given them books
nothing but a blank lost look in their eyes.
up until this experience i thought that everyone could learn mechanical ability but now i know that some people will never have the mental ability to work on a car, even if it is the simplest car.
if you have the aptitude and ability to do mechanical work consider yourself a very lucky person, and a person as gifted as a doctor or lawyer.

ou

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:36 PM   #11
woofa.express

Well I’m not a mechanic’s boot lace, however I know all about how and why they work. I manage minor mechanical work. I reckon I’m entitled to have one (or 3 in my case) and I saved 2 from the rubbish tip!
I have admired and loved them since I was a school kid. Today I’d feel deprived without them. I love taking them for a drive. I also love just looking at them and admiring their beauty and each day I thank God for the lives of Henry and Eidsel.

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-25-2022 at 10:13 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:41 PM   #12
KR500

I agree that everyone should not own a Model A. Many buy one because to them its cute. They like to be observed driving down the street and have people beep their horn or give them a thumbs up. But like what most of us believe is that when you choose to buy and own a Model A, or T or any other make of car you are taking on a responsibility to preserve, take care of, maintain and enjoy. your purchase. That is part of the problem when we become to old to pass on our cherished babies to a sibling or friend they don't want or aren't in a position to house, maintain, or enjoy the vehicle. I suppose it can be said we don't need more antique cars just loving people willing to handle these cars. When my father and I bought our first car it was all we could handle. The clubs generally had only one member who could purchase one car and that was enough. Now it is common for a member to have anywhere from five to a dozen. At least they have homes!
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:22 PM   #13

You should own one if you want to start from scratch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2090289.jpg (43.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg P1050275.jpg (49.5 KB, 81 views)
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:47 PM   #14
Oldbluoval

I think two words come to my mind…
Expectations——what does a owner want out of the car and how do they think it will perform
. Many want a vintage car for many reasons. But, most don’t have a clue what’s involved; Batteries, tires, storage, fuel system, electrical system , rodents ….on and on. They will likely be sorely disappointed when their expectations are stifled.

Skills—— if one can’t do or have a plan(includes paid help) to do many necessary chores/maintenance/upkeep (some identified above) they should not own a vintage car. They should frequently attend car shows and enjoy them from afar.
IMHO
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:29 PM   #15
Betterlifenz

I'm no mechanic, but I can do most things on my Model A. How and why?? I can read, and I have some tools (and any I don't have and need, i go and buy). Les Andrews red book is my bible, but even so, I am not afraid to ask others if I get stuck. And it's all so enjoyable.
Betterlifenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:49 PM   #16
woofa.express

Some of you critics should have a rethink.

Please do read story number 11 in this thread to assess my skill and lack there of.
I have admitted I am not a mechanics bootlace. Whilst I do my own simple stuff I have much of the mechanical work done for me by skilled people. This pay for. I do however envy those of you with skills to have top running motorcars.
Many of you have expressed that non mechanical owners should not own vintage motorcars. That is me you are speaking of.
I enjoy owning and driving them. As I said in story number eleven I have saved two from the rubbish tip. It is disappointing to find I have critics when I contribute to Model A associations, our local vintage car club, the Victorian state Model A Club and indeed this forum. I present and promote my A’s to the public.
Maybe you knockers could do well to have a rethink. Gary.

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-26-2022 at 04:05 AM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:46 AM   #17
dean from bozeman

If you have the money you should be able to own a Model A. Period.

Now if you take that Model A on a public road you have an obligation to the public, your passengers and yourself to have it in good working order, i.e. good brakes, good steering, etc. How you get it to and maintain it in good working order is your call and your responsibility. Period.

How dare anyone think that they have the right to say who should and who shouldn't own a Model A.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 04:45 AM   #18
Synchro909

It's not just Model As that some people shouldn't own. IMO, there are many who shouldn't even be able to get a license to drive. I know a lady who sold off a couple of her late husband's cars, one to a father/son pair who swore they would look after and care for it. Within a couple of weeks they had destroyed it. the ignored what she told them bout checking the oil and water and by doing so, ruined the engine (cracked the block). She is still likely to tear up when telling the story.
Some people seem to think it is their right to own or do anything they like when they like, to whom they like and nobody has the right to challenge them. WRONG!
For example, we wall have the right to wave our arms about in the air but that right ceases at the end of the next person's nose.I'll stop the rant now - just don't start me off.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:49 AM   #19
Patrick L.

It doesn't bother me when someone buys an old car. It can be frustrating when trying to help someone here and they don't pay attention or respond.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:16 AM   #20
CatMan1

When I got mine in May of last year I only knew the basics of them, but had never worked on them. I've been around old cars all my 50 years and have owned many. I was frustrated with the rear main leak and other issues I saw. One of the guys in my church said that he would be praying that God would send me someone to help with my car. I never had an idea that it would be my new girlfriend! She loves getting her hands dirty and working on the car! She's quite good at it and has given me the confidence to get in and tackle things thus making it a better car. It's what I needed after losing my wife in February of last year.
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote