Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2023, 09:54 PM   #41
retubjb

Default Re: Father's Day Poll

My dad bought the 30 Tudor in 1970 when I was 9 years old. I have many wonderful memories of "helping him" restore it, as he did a complete frame of restoration and took it to the 1972 national meet and was 4 points away from a trophy (he didn't have metal valve stems). When he died in 2015 I became the owner because my brothers have no interest in it. When someone says that they like my car I respond "Thank you, it will always be my father's car, I am just the caretaker of it." My son says that he wants it when I am gone. After 50 years of use, it's really showing its age but I hate to think of redoing/changing what he worked so hard at completing.
retubjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 02:46 AM   #42
dave in australia

I inherited a few things Model A from my dad. First of, his fondness for the Model A, especially 28-29 models. Then mechanical skill and passion to work on, restore and repair Model A's. Thirdly, a lot of parts, which I now store for both of us, as he is still alive. In the 1960's, dad would go around the local farms and buy or salvage Model A's that were no longer in use, or ones dumped in river beds etc. Some were only good for an engine block or a front axle, but he would salvage it anyway. He did miss out on one of the rarest Australian bodied Fordors once, as he didn't know of the body style, which was a fabric covered body, only two were made in Australia. The other Fordors were either Briggs or Murrays. So now we have eight between us, and many engines and other spares.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 12:24 PM   #43
Chuck Dempsey

Great Stories, all....
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 02:57 PM   #44
Ayers1

My dad bought a 28 Fordor in 1963 when I was a year old. I got it last year when he passed at the age of 89. I plan to pass it on to one of my daughters when I fall over in (hopefully) 30 years.
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 04:23 PM   #45
Keith True

There are two guys,one 10 miles from me,another 12 that have the A's their MOTHERS bought new.Both are Tudors,one is a 29 the other a 30.One guy is very much a car guy,but heavily into rods and customs.He does appreciate antiques though,and does drive his mothers original.The other guy is an old motorcycle guy,he just keeps and drives his mothers car just because it was hers.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 05:45 PM   #46
Ayers1

I have a friend that has his aunt's 30 coupe. She bought it brand new and he has everything that came with the car. Paper receipts, tools etc. It only has 18,000 miles and is 100% original. It's amazing just to look at!
Old 06-25-2023, 12:04 PM   #47
stevemclark

My grandfather bought a 1930 deluxe coupe for $100 in 1950 I think. When he died my dad got it, when my dad could could no longer drive I got it and put my sister on the title too to keep it in the family in case one of us dies.I have been working on it on and off since 1972 with a big gap to 5 years ago and have rebuilt every thing but the transmission which needs bearings and the differential that is OK .About $15000 so far in parts and still need an interior plus a paint job. this car has been in a garage since it was new and has no dents or rust.When I get done it will probably not be worth what I have in it but it did not cost anything to start with.I am happy with a car has 86000 miles ,

Last edited by stevemclark; 06-25-2023 at 12:54 PM.
stevemclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 05:19 AM   #48
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemclark View Post
My grandfather bought a 1930 deluxe coupe for $100 in 1950 I think. When he died my dad got it, when my dad could could no longer drive I got it and put my sister on the title too to keep it in the family in case one of us dies.I have been working on it on and off since 1972 with a big gap to 5 years ago and have rebuilt every thing but the transmission which needs bearings and the differential that is OK .About $15000 so far in parts and still need an interior plus a paint job. this car has been in a garage since it was new and has no dents or rust.When I get done it will probably not be worth what I have in it but it did not cost anything to start with.I am happy with a car has 86000 miles ,
As previous owner of several unrestored originals, I understand replacing the interior, but if it has been garaged since new, think long and hard about re-painting it.
It looks great, enjoy it as is.....
Old 06-26-2023, 10:20 AM   #49
stevemclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
As previous owner of several unrestored originals, I understand replacing the interior, but if it has been garaged since new, think long and hard about re-painting it.
It looks great, enjoy it as is.....
It was repainted in 1972 when we put a new interior and rebuilt motor.It still looks good.I was 14 ,my dad and me put it in his garage pulled the light bar , radiator ,floor boards etc. We put a hand lever come-a-long on the motor ,pulled it up ,pushed the car back then backed a new 1972 Datsun pickup a bare bone truck and lowered it onto a wooden frame my dad made. Then we drove 100 miles to Richmond Va. to a re-builder that could do the babbit bearings.I think it was the crazy high price of $300, the truck was $1950 and I still have it. 75000 miles.Look at the tags year.
Old 06-26-2023, 01:49 PM   #50
Ayers1

I love your A but the Datsun brings up a lot of memories. My dad bought one new in '71, mustard yellow and it was t-boned about 5 years later. He rebuilt it and drove it a couple of more years before he sold it.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:22 AM   #51
stevemclark

That "Lil Hustler" Datsun is not a Model A but I think it had the spirit , basic nothing extra on it,1600cc 96 hp, 101.1 in. wheelbase,2286 lbs. only a temp and gas gauge all drum brakes that faded faster than the Model A and I remember being with dad when he picked it up .
Old 07-05-2023, 09:25 PM   #52
John Dayhuff

I did not inherit my fathers Phaeton but I did accidentally come across the guy that bought it from my dad 28 years earlier, pure luck. After the man died the family sold it in a estate auction and I was the high bidder.
Old 07-08-2023, 12:07 PM   #53
Model "A" Fords

My father and uncle bought a 1928 phaeton in 1942. Owning a 1941 Chrysler they needed the A to obtain more gas rations. In 1944 they were going to sell the car but a huge snowfall shut down the streets. The Phaeton could handle the deep snow so it was used to make the daily delivery of meat pies to the Westinghouse Canteen from my Mother and grandfathers' pastry shop.
That convinced them not to sell the car and they used it in their post & pole business delivering poles tied along the side of the car. Fence posts where placed across the rear doors and body behind the driver.
Their stock of poles would arrive on railroad flat cars spotted on the main line which required unloading by hand before the next scheduled train. The cars had to be shifted along the track to unload according to pole length. They used a hand operated leaver to get the car moving then the Phaeton was used to kept it going to the proper spots.
In the late 1950s the family joined the car club and the Phaeton got its first restoration. In the beginning the car was considered modern and had to park with the everyday drivers. That soon changed and the Phaeton has been doing car events continuously since.
Dad often gave rides in his A to the elderly folks in retirement homes. He was older than most of the so called elderly from the homes but he loved sharing his car with everyone!
Since there were three boys in the family my Dad asked us to decide who got the car when he was gone. Two of us had Model A's of our own at the time so the other brother inherited the Phaeton. We now have six A's in the family. We were introduced to the Model A before we were born, tucked inside our mother sitting in the passenger seat of that same 1928 Phaeton. I don't recall that but it's true. That means I have been associated with Model A's for nine months longer than I've been born.
Dad has continued in his Phaeton since death as his ashes accompany the car to some events.
We've shared great times together starting with the purchase of that 1928 Model A Ford Phaeton in 1942 that almost sold in 1944 but was saved because of a Canadian snow storm!
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote