Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
Colonel

Default Radiator Paint

Ready to paint my radiator and want to be sure I do it right. Looked through some old Fordbarn postings but didn't find what I was looking for. Prefer to buy supplies locally but can mail order if necessary.

Based upon what I've read, the proper color for the radiator is flat black. Do you need to use high temp paint--such as engine paint? Does it need primer underneath? Can you just use rustoleum flat regular paint since it says on the can its good for 200F. Do you worry about the paint insulating the fins/tubes from cooling properly? How many coats are needed?

My radiator is clean to mostly bare metal. It is an original with brass tanks and steel frame. What paint, color, brand, suggestions, etc... should I use to do it once and get it right the first time.
Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
BashawT

Default Re: Radiator Paint

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rad...ack-paint.html

Use this paint and spray it until you just get coverage ( a very light coat)The less paint the better because too much can cause overheating due to the paint absorbing the heat. Don't use primer. Some recommend no paint at all
BashawT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Humble opinion, & FWIW:

Agree 100% with reply no.2.

1. Do it once with the correct coating formulated especially for radiators & be done once & for all.

2. After removing the radiator, cleaning the radiator, removing old paint, etc., etc. this prep task takes 99% of one's time & energy.

3. After hours of prep work & allowing radiator to dry, painting with Eastwood's product can be easily completed in less than one (1) minute. Eastwood's paint dries rapidly & looks great after completion.

4. Or ................ if you wish, you can always experiment with a cheap Dollar Store paint on sale on the back shelf, & put it in your Flit Gun, & if you like, just take a chance with peeling paint, paint orange peel, paint blistering, paint fading, & radiator overheating.

5. Just one (1) past experience with Eastwood's Product:

I have an original Model A radiator that I cleaned internally with POR Marine clean & after removing old thick paint & prepping & cleaning exterior, painted with radiator Eastwood's Radiator Paint -- in 100 degree weather, coolant never exceeds 175 degrees.

Hope this helps -- I just do not have time to do my maintenance projects twice.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 05-03-2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
henry's 31

HI Sir:

I like to use the radiator black paint from Eastwood (part # 10040Z). This is desingned to paint radiators. It helps disipate heat and will not interfere with the cooling like some other thicker paints do. Since new radiators are so expensive, I would use the correct paint. You can also check with a local radiator shop and see what they use.

Henry's 31
henry's 31 is offline   Reply With Quote