Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
1916modeltford

Default Stripped stud in block

I have found that the middle head stud (#8 on some torque layouts) directly behind the water outlet was badly stripped after the previous owner attempted a repair with an over size stud. It would not torque.

My question, would it be worthwhile to attempt to tap the stripped hole for a larger helicoil so I can reuse the over size stud? I beleive that I can tap the hole without drilling as the stripped hole is very close to the outside dimensions of the insert. I realize that this will reduce the area between the stud hole and the water passage.

A machinist friend suggested that if I did attempt this to coat the helicoil with a liberal amount of J D Weld before inserting the coil. Should I also coat the stud with J D Weld then screw it into the coil?

I am very new to A's and have not done any engine work for more years than I care to think of, as far back as the flat head V8's of the late 40's.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
fordfixer

Default Re: Stripped stud in block

NO. Don't put any JB Weld on the stud itself. This is a bonding material. You would never be able to remove the stud with out much difficulty if the need arises.
fordfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Russ/40

Since a repair for the oversize stud has already been attempted and bungled, I would go for the helicoil. Is the stud in good shape? If so, definitely drill the appropriate size for the helicoil as recommended. I would not use the existing hole size, which is smaller than what you need for perfect threads. Approach the repair as a new repair at the larger stud size with helicoil. If the existing hole is a little off perpendicular, you will likely not be able to correct the alignment. Studs can be slightly bent to correct this if necessary, by bumping them with a dead blow hammer.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Charles Coe

If the hole is not too big, I would try to use a helicoil for the original size stud.
Charles Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Rowdy
BANNED

I agree, next step after that would be a threadsert properly pinned into place. Threaded portions are not as long, but we used to use them holding the tooling in stanping dies when the threads got ruined. They held up well and are coated with loctite powder on the outer threads. Be sure to stake them inplace by drilling a hole half in the threadsert edge and half into the block and pin the hole. Rod