Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Ford coupe

Default %% electric p ump

When i put a clear plastic hose on the gas line after the filter about 8 inches from carb on my 55 272 cu in it takes about 20 seconds before fuel starts to comefrom my eectric pump and even then almost no pressure..When fuel comes it seemto come in spurts like 6 in of fuel then an air bubble about an inch long another 6 in fuel another air bubble...The same type pump works great on my 36 flattie but the one on the 55 does not help for starting and it is installed as on my 36..Both are Macs pumps THNKS in advance Ford coupe
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: %% electric p ump

I would first disconnect the hose from the carb and put it in a container and run the pump to check output. If you are pushing fuel through a mechanical pump, disconnect on suction side of pump. If it is still inconsistent, look for air leak between pump and tank. The pump should be mounted lower than and close to the tank. Next, install rubber hose from suction side of pump to fuel in container and run/check again. You have to eliminate as many possible causes as you can to isolate the pump to see if it is defective
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: %% electric p ump

Sounds like you may be sucking air thru a hole in the fuel line from the tank or the pickup in the tank has a leak. 40cpe outlined a good way to check.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote