Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
steve fritz

Default Pony carburetor ???

Does anybody know who would have bought out and/or taken over the PONY CARBURETOR CO ??? Or did any of his employees continue in the carb rebuilding business? I am looking to put together a small block Ford tri-carb set up for the 289/302 size engine, and need somebody with knowledge on these set ups. I know they used both the Holley 2bbl and also the Ford 2100 2bbl , I would be looking for either , already have the manifold and linkage, fuel block.
When PONY was still in business they sold and worked on rebuilding these tri-carb set ups.
Thanks for any info for me to follow up on.
Steve
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:07 PM   #2
KULTULZ

Post Re: Pony carburetor ???

As I understand it, the owner of PONY CARBS passed and the operation was shut down. They specialized in the 2100 conversion.

To the best of my knowledge ... ..., the carbs (2300) are still available from HOLLEY.

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #3
scicala

Default Re: Pony carburetor ???

Steve,

Holley makes this set-up with a Chevy small block intake. If your manifold has enough spacing between carbs, I'm sure they probably sell the carbs and linkage separately.

Sal

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...rs/multi-carb/
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
scicala

Also, I thought you already had three 2100 carbs from when we talked earlier ? Maybe I'm wrong.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
KULTULZ

Here 'ya go - http://www.hptrends.com/index.htm

They (2300) are still available from HOLLEY and you can search for the best prices.

This vendor also offers all FORD accessories.

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

Old 01-19-2019, 07:45 PM   #6
steve fritz

Sal....I do , but having no luck at all trying to get the system to idle down. I blocked off the two outboard carbs with a solid plate and it runs perfect on just the center two barrell.
As soon as I put one of the outboard carbs on, with the center carb also in position , I can not get it to idle down below 1200 rpm's. I have screwed the air/fuel mixture screws all the way in on the outboard carb and installed a power valve blank in the outboard carbs , yet still no luck on getting it to idle down like it should.
I have checked all around the carbs for vacuum leaks and they all check out with no leaks. Kind of at a loss now for what else I can do.
One more thing......if I seal off the top of that outboard carb ,( I just ran a couple pieces of duct tape over the air horn) , it will idle down nicely. So I'm thinking the throttle plates are not really closed enough to shut out air/fuel like I need them to.
Sal....I'll give you a call sometime tomorrow to discuss further.
Steve
Open to ideas from any others who have worked with this set up on their 289/302 Ford.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:55 PM   #7
steve fritz

here's some pics
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181202_164008[1].jpg (54.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20181202_163827[1].jpg (55.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 01-20-2019, 04:02 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve fritz View Post

...but having no luck at all trying to get the system to idle down. I blocked off the two outboard carbs with a solid plate and it runs perfect on just the center two barrell.

As soon as I put one of the outboard carbs on, with the center carb also in position , I can not get it to idle down below 1200 rpm's. I have screwed the air/fuel mixture screws all the way in on the outboard carb and installed a power valve blank in the outboard carbs , yet still no luck on getting it to idle down like it should.

I have checked all around the carbs for vacuum leaks and they all check out with no leaks. Kind of at a loss now for what else I can do.

One more thing......if I seal off the top of that outboard carb ,( I just ran a couple pieces of duct tape over the air horn) , it will idle down nicely. [u]So I'm thinking the throttle plates are not really closed enough to shut out air/fuel like I need them to[u]
Sal....I'll give you a call sometime tomorrow to discuss further.

Steve

Open to ideas from any others who have worked with this set up on their 289/302 Ford.

Where in the world did you stumble across that setup? It appears to be the PONY CARB FORD 2100 setup.

You've answered your own question. Most likely the outboard carb(s) are allowing too much air in at idle. You need to ensure the outboard throttle plates are closed @ idle. Also set up with linkages removed. Once you have acceptable idle, then install linkages.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:33 AM   #9
5851a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Where in the world did you stumble across that setup? It appears to be the PONY CARB FORD 2100 setup.

You've answered your own question. Most likely the outboard carb(s) are allowing too much air in at idle. You need to ensure the outboard throttle plates are closed @ idle. Also set up with linkages removed. Once you have acceptable idle, then install linkages.
Along with the above do the outboard carbs throttle blades have holes stamped in them? If so maybe enough air going through all of them would make idle hard to set. Just a thought.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:54 AM   #10
steve fritz

Thanks for the input.....does anybody have contact info for any of the people that may have branched off on their own after PONY CARBURETOR disbanded a few years ago?
I believe PONY was located in New York.
Steve
Old 01-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #11
BW

I have the Pony Carb set up on my car. I might be able to help you, PM me and I will call you or you call me. BW36

Last edited by BW; 01-22-2019 at 09:48 AM. Reason: type o
BW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #12
KULTULZ

That operation is long gone. Maybe a TECH he had working for him is still around but I have not heard of anything.

The photo(s) of the setup you posted, is it yours?

Old 01-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #13
BW

I don't know if you did this or not, But you need to bring idle down evenly at all three carbs.
BW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #14
steve fritz

BW....thanks you can call me at 608-738-1861.
Thats my cell and you can call anytime , I really appreciate it.
Steve Fritz