Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
Ford coupe

Default # spd automatic..

I thought the 55 Fordomatic was a 3 spd..When i take of with my 55 it only shifts once so i only have 2 spd right?
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
toby

Default Re: # spd automatic..

Only a 2 speed.

toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
darrell

its a 3 speed they take of in second.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
paul2748

Up to 58 (think was 59 was a 2 speed), the Fordo's were three speed trans'
s. In normal driving, it started off in second and shifted to third. If you stepped heavy on it at a stop, it went into 1st gear and shifted twice. You could also put in it low and get 1st gear.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
Daves55Sedan

The early Ford-O-Matics were designed to start out in intermediate gear then shift into high gear at around 27 mph normally.
If you "goose" the gas pedal at a dead stop, it should automatically drop into low gear, then shift two times.
It was a very common transmission. A 3-speed version was offered in the later '50's
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Motorhead6

While the early Ford-O-Matic (including the one in your '55 Ford) normally started off in the intermediate gear, it was in fact a 3 speed box. Mash the accelerator to the floor and it would leap forward in 1st gear, or select Low and it would start in the same gear.The only true 2 speed automatic that Ford ever offered was an aluminum case one available 1959 thru 1964. What confuses many people is the fact that Ford called the early A/T "Ford-O-Matic". When they introduced the 2 speed box, they re-name the original box Cruise-O-Matic and named the new 2 speed box Ford-O-Matic. Very confusing indeed.

Lots of people call the original A/T a 2 speed in error. This same transmission with a couple of itterations of upgrade (for durability/ruggedness and by changing the valve body it became "dual range") it became the Cruise_O-Matic, the Merc-O Matic and something else in other applications. It eventually came to be called FMX for use behind high horse power V-8 engines until it's demise in about 1967. This is essentially the same transmission as was originally offered in 1951 as Ford-O-matic behind the flathead V-8 and 6 banger!

I expect many people will take exception to this, but facts is facts. Think about it this way, if you have a truck with a 4 speed std gear box that has a "granny" 1st gear, you do not refer to this as a 3 speed simply because you normally start in 2nd gear. In the same light, just because the early FOM normally starts in the intermediate gear, it doesn't become a 2 speed when in fact it has 3 forward gears.

This cast iron case A/T is a very good transmission and all parts for rebuilding it are readily avaliable. There is really not much difference, from an engineering viewpoint, from today's "modern" transmissions except the fact that the newer ones are electronically controlled.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
Daves55Sedan

Agree to all, Motorhead. But I would like to point out one big difference between the old Ford-o-matics and modern A/T's.
The Ford-o-matics had a rear pump which enable you to:
1) push-start the car if the battery was dead
2) Free-wheel safely down long steep hills by popping the gear select in neutral and allowing the engine to idle, then you could shove it back into drive and allow the engine to slow the car down near the bottom of the hill. Same as in having a standard trans and popping the clutch out.
3) allow you to keep the engine firing when reaching higher altitudes by keeping the gear select in drive at least long enough to find a good spot to pull off the highway to re-adjust the carb and timing to get the engine running smoothly again. If your going 60mph, the Ford-o-matic will keep the engine turning over for a while and it will continue firing but very rough until you can readjust.
The rear pump gives you all the advantages of a standard transmission, except for the lower fuel mileage. Newer A/T's dont have a rear pump
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:48 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Post Re: # spd automatic..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead6 View Post

Lots of people call the original A/T a 2 speed in error. This same transmission with a couple of itterations of upgrade (for durability/ruggedness and by changing the valve body it became "dual range") it became the Cruise_O-Matic, the Merc-O Matic and something else in other applications.

It eventually came to be called FMX for use behind high horse power V-8 engines until it's demise in about 1967. This is essentially the same transmission as was originally offered in 1951 as Ford-O-matic behind the flathead V-8 and 6 banger!
The trans series went from SINGLE RANGE (P-R-N-D-L) to DUAL RANGE (P-R-N-D2-D1-L) (FX-MX-HX) in the 1958 model run (the single range still being available for 58/59). The 2/S (PX) was introduced in the 1959 model run.

The FMX was introduced on the 1968 model run and was modified by removing the rear pump and putting MX internals into the FX case.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
Motorhead6

Daves55Sedan, You are so right. Another advantage is that it can be flat pulled or towed without worry because the rear pump keeps the internals lubed.

Kultulz, I have read several of your inputs in the Ford Barn and am very imperssed with your vast experience and knowledge. Thank goodness for you and other people like you on this site. We need and apprediate access to your "data bank".
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
darrell

the fmx ran from 68 to 79.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #11
rick55

Here in Oz, the FMX ran through from 1969 to 1983 in vehicles fitted with 351 Windsor and Cleveland engines. The 302 Windsor and Cleveland got the C4. Our 1967 289 Windsor got the Borg Warner 35 which just didn't last behind the v8s though they used that auto right up to late 89 behind all six cylinders.
Interestingly the BW35 when used in 1966-7, used to take off in second like the early Fordamatic. Ford must have thought we liked taking off in 2nd as all their Oz v8's did that from 1957 - the first auto in Oz Fords. From 59 on I think all cars used the 2 speed Cruisamatic.
GM used the power glide til 69 when they fitted a trimatic colloquially referred to as a Traumatic behind Oz V8.
Chrysler used the Torqueflite in its various forms throughout til they closed shop in Oz.
Regards

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #12
KULTULZ

Smile Re: # spd automatic..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead6 View Post

Kultulz, I have read several of your inputs in the Ford Barn and am very imperssed with your vast experience and knowledge. Thank goodness for you and other people like you on this site. We need and apprediate access to your "data bank".
Thank You for the kind words. I am anally FORD.

If I ever get overbearing, just throw something at me...

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 02-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #13
KULTULZ

Post Re: # spd automatic..

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post

Only a 2 speed.

The manual shown is for the 1959-1964 PX 2/S. It had an aluminum one piece bell/main case.

- WHY IS IT ... -