Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2024, 06:46 PM   #21
cmbrucew

Default Re: Fluid for Sioux valve surfacer

I could not remember if the Souix had the capabillity to grind shafts. I know the Sunnin did.

Bruce
Old 01-11-2024, 10:06 PM   #22
GB SISSON

Bruce, I can already picture myself using this to turn all kinds of stuff, like one of those repair type head studs with 1/2" threads into the block and ground to 7/16" above. This thing's a Mad Scientist's dream.
Here's some pics showing the nozzles and pump etc. I see nothing complex about running a dry sump and a coolant tank. Heck, I even have an old remote mount spin on oil filter assembly and a 12 v fuel pump. Like I have nothing better to do....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sioux FF.jpg (124.0 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg Sioux RF.jpg (121.7 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg Sioux sump pump.jpg (109.5 KB, 156 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 10:13 PM   #23
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Bruce, I can already picture myself using this to turn all kinds of stuff, like one of those repair type head studs with 1/2" threads into the block and ground to 7/16" above. This thing's a Mad Scientist's dream.
Here's some pics showing the nozzles and pump etc. I see nothing complex about running a dry sump and a coolant tank. Heck, I even have an old remote mount spin on oil filter assembly and a 12 v fuel pump. Like I have nothing better to do....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:11 AM   #24
tetanus

i used this in my kwik way. got at menards. says mineral base. Worked great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil.jpg (21.6 KB, 16 views)
tetanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 07:39 PM   #25
v8fordman

Just looked at the pictures of your valve grinder. You will be happy to know that if you ever need to grind valves with mushroom stems, the chuck you have allows for that without a lot of difficulty. It's a very time consuming thing to grind them with a quick release chuck. Just another plus for you.
v8fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:04 PM   #26
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8fordman View Post
Just looked at the pictures of your valve grinder. You will be happy to know that if you ever need to grind valves with mushroom stems, the chuck you have allows for that without a lot of difficulty. It's a very time consuming thing to grind them with a quick release chuck. Just another plus for you.
Thanks for the heads up! I have always used the later style valves in the past, but I have a bucketfull of the early ones. I would also like to build an engine with the factory solid lifters. The way this machine is set up I can see it isn't rocket science grinding the stems. I have done some testing on various adjustable lifters and even new they vary greatly in their resistence to turning. I posted a thread on this 'scientific' testing procedure titled 'Light in the Lifters', or maybe 'Loose in the lifters'.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 01-19-2024, 12:18 AM   #27
Ray in La Mesa

KOOL machine, & very useful. My engine business buddy gave me one like it. We were converting "A" engines to main bearing inserts, he did all the machine work & hated to assemble them. So he paid me a great wage to assemble them, including going to straight Chevy valve trains. Went on for a few years then he passed away & was out of a job (hobby).
This was all 30 years ago & I had no use for the valve grinding machine anymore so gave it away- someone got REAL lucky!
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 06:54 PM   #28
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Use soluble oil and water , it cools better and doesn't carry the abrasive through the pump like oil does . I have the same machine as you, got it in 1962
I've ground a lot of valves since then.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 07:24 PM   #29
Ken/Alabama

I have these Sioux valve grinding machines. The old Model 620 is a dry grinder that I used a lot until I got the Model 645 wet grinder.Both have the capability to grind the valve stems. I need to change the coolant so where do I get the water soluble oil ? And how much. ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8467.jpg (42.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8468.jpg (44.0 KB, 61 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 07:35 PM   #30
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
I have these Sioux valve grinding machines. The old Model 620 is a dry grinder that I used a lot until I got the Model 645 wet grinder.Both have the capability to grind the valve stems. I need to change the coolant so where do I get the water soluble oil ? And how much. ?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 02:56 AM   #31
aussie merc

lathes ,mills, broach cutters and wet grinders have always used soluble oil mix but use what ever the manufacturer says its their machine and wheels
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 10:16 AM   #32
GB SISSON

This is right up there with a good old fashioned 'what motor oil' thread. Do they make synthetic grinding fluid?