Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2023, 07:32 AM   #101
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Testing blocks in the home shop

For many years i used a armature growler for the magnet, it works on alternating current so it won’t transfer permanent magnetism to the metal being tested.
for magnetic particles i saved the cuttings from the fine cuts on the brake lathe.
For removing magnetism I have used a loop of wire in a heavy weller soldering gun, and a old television degaussing ring.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:51 AM   #102
flatford8

That’s a work of ahat right there mistah ..........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 11:28 PM   #103
Scotty's 52 F3

Dang that came out NICE!
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:27 AM   #104
GB SISSON

Once more, thanks for the kind words. The cylinder head hanging from a 1x1 stick of this richlite gave me confidence that this is really strong material. I will make a pump blockoff plate next and for gaskets I know I have plenty of epdm rubber sheeting left over from the woodie's roof (if I can find it).
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 01:22 AM   #105
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Once more, thanks for the kind words. The cylinder head hanging from a 1x1 stick of this richlite gave me confidence that this is really strong material. I will make a pump blockoff plate next and for gaskets I know I have plenty of epdm rubber sheeting left over from the woodie's roof (if I can find it).

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 08:45 AM   #106
GB SISSON

PETE!!! You are a sight for sore eyes! Literally. I have been hoping you would show up. This must be what cataract surgery is like, or maybe the guy that first made a pair of eye glasses.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 03-07-2023, 09:02 AM   #107
GB SISSON

When I first came to Orcas Island in '78 there were a couple of batchelor brothers in their 60's who ran a sawmill about a mile from here. Over the next ten years they milled all the wood for my house and both shops. If I showed up anywhere near 10 am, it was coffee break time and up to the house we'd go. In the house was a column of 4 televisions with an old wood cabinet model with a round screen at the bottom. It was a miniature TV museum. Looking at Pete's enlargement I can see that on my shop's workbench the two bottom layers are the two sheets of particle board I installed when I built my woodshop. Followed by many years of 1/4" stacked upon each other. The last one is only about a year old. 3/4 MDO sign painter's plywood, the good stuff. Here I thought I was getting shorter, but the bench has just been getting taller.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:19 PM   #108
tetanus

GB looks real good what you got going on! Well I figured I should update my stuff here. So I had my plates on and soaked vinegar in block for a week and had a space heater in valley for about 6 hrs a day to get vinegar to clean better maybe. Block got so hot I couldn’t hold my Hand on it. We’ll the vinegar didn’t do much but it’s better. So I figured I would test it hot also. I had it still filled with the vinegar I figured I would be able to see it coming out of ex ports or wherever else. Also it’s a lot safer than having air in it if it decided to blow up. I only went to around 40 pounds. Didn’t have the nuts to see if side of block would blow out since there is a lot of square inches of surface with nothing holding it. Well no leaks anywhere on deck or from studs or cracks. I used a gas pipe tester you can find at any hardware store Has a valve stem to pump up on it. I also was wondering if a guy could use some kind of old transformer somehow for the mag tester.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B7FDBC1A-E06F-48C6-A4F6-8962606CF693.jpeg (121.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpeg 6FE4E32C-5BEA-4278-9571-53A3E22BD3DE.jpeg (122.5 KB, 60 views)
tetanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:06 PM   #109
GB SISSON

Now that's a really nice setup you have there! Like that lifting plate too. I hope I can produce the kind of results you have when I finish my kit. For your magnet, youtube shows a lot of powerful electromagnets made using a transformer from a microwave oven. I just didn't know how to make one of those transformers into a horseshoe configuration. I have seen special calibrated 10 lb steel bars used to test electromagnets for the magnaflux process. Mine easily lifts a cylinder head, so I guess it passes. If you want I can look up the materials I used to build mine. Right now I'm half way through with building 91 cabinet doors, many different sizes, and I have a week left to be on schedule. Yikes that's 455 individual pieces, so my test kit is on hold for a bit.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:16 PM   #110
CA Victoria

What thickness of T6061 aluminum plate would be suitable to make a plate from?
Old 12-08-2023, 10:44 PM   #111
GB SISSON

Tim, I have no knowledge of aluminum. Hoping someone here does.

I am finally able to get back to these blocks. Today in looking at the water pump area I noticed that the 8ba blocks have a hole up high so I'm glad I saw that. Looks like a plate made for the 8ba should work on the early 24 studders. I will need to thread a schrader valve from either direction as required. Not sure the threads will hold up in the richlite so thinking a brass coupling epoxied in should solve that.
I have cleaned up the side shop where my blocks and engine tools are stored and even better yet, added a wood stove and insulated ceiling so I can do this work in comfort. In response to the urging of my buddy Skip (cas3 here), I started stuffing some of the easily accessed stud wall bays with the leftover ceiling insulation. A neighbor came by and offered 4 sheets of 1" foil faced foam board that would go a long ways in the 2x6 walls where I store junk on shelves. All in all, I'm glad I waited until I have heat and a nice new workbench and good lighting. I look forward to getting started on a good looking .030 over 8ba block and seeing how my new apparatus performs. Stay tuned.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:24 PM   #112
GB SISSON

The first block is checking out well so far. I had to plug that coolant hole in the front of the deck that's half exposed because I built for a 59ab style. Live and learn, but I thought I had that covered. Next the water pump plate does not seal completely. Nonetheless, I was pleased that no bubbles at all were present on or around the stitch and sleeve job on #2 with 30 psi air. Is it best to fill with soapy water and then pressurize with air? Also, I can see that a tee with a gauge would be a big improvement as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stich, sleeve and water pump plate.jpg (25.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg under pressure.jpg (126.7 KB, 78 views)
Old 12-15-2023, 12:37 AM   #113
cas3

A warm shop is a wonderful thing. Next, with an insulated shop you may have the urge for a cheap garage sale AC unit to fully live the life of an affluent american! all kidding aside, I believe 30 psi is excessive, perhaps just watching to see how long it will hold 5 psi without leaking, then if it fails try to find the leak. This is how the plumbers would do it when I was on job sites. Pressure it up, and check again the next day. If its leaking, find the source. Carry on
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 12:54 AM   #114
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
The first block is checking out well so far. I had to plug that coolant hole in the front of the deck that's half exposed because I built for a 59ab style. Live and learn, but I thought I had that covered. Next the water pump plate does not seal completely. Nonetheless, I was pleased that no bubbles at all were present on or around the stitch and sleeve job on #2 with 30 psi air. Is it best to fill with soapy water and then pressurize with air? Also, I can see that a tee with a gauge would be a big improvement as well.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 02:30 AM   #115
GB SISSON

Thanks Skip and Pete. I enjoy learning new things and now it's time to acquire the skills to properly use this equipment. I will need to work on my pump cover plate, then ad the tee for gauge, then do another test with lower pressure and a better seal. I'm just glad that this older crack repair shows no suds.
Old 12-15-2023, 04:37 AM   #116
Mart

Looks great, GB. I've never pressure tested, but will offer my thoughts. the extra port at the front is not open to the water jacket as such, it is just a right angle passage that exits in that extra port above the water pump. So it shouldn't leak unless the pump blockoff is allowing pressure into it. I thought the idea was to pressurise with air and then spray soapy water over everything. Bubbles will form where there is a leak.
I like what you have done, though, it looks great and finding no leaks where the stitch repair is is very good to know.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote