Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2023, 10:25 PM   #1
Krylon32

Default Price of FH parts

Got the latest Speedway catalogue today and I always go to the Flathead parts. A couple things that caught my eye was the price of Offenhauser intakes and heads. The real winner was the SCAT complete rotating assembly priced at 3800.00. Wasn't that long ago it was 1999.00. Take good care of those Merc cranks and rods. Times are changing
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:08 AM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Price of FH parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
Got the latest Speedway catalogue today and I always go to the Flathead parts. A couple things that caught my eye was the price of Offenhauser intakes and heads. The real winner was the SCAT complete rotating assembly priced at 3800.00. Wasn't that long ago it was 1999.00. Take good care of those Merc cranks and rods. Times are changing
Gary,

Funny, I did the exact same thing. As soon as I saw the price, I regretted not buying a kit when it was $1,999.

I'm also not sure what is going on with Offy. As much as I appreciate them doing things "the old fashion way" [their words on Instagram] and would like to support them, I wonder if they will eventually price themselves out of the market.

Both of their offset gen. brackets were $45 for years. Latest price, $95 each.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:31 AM   #3
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
Summit has them listed for $2149.99.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:34 AM   #4
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Summit has them listed for $2149.99.
Dang, that's crazy. I wonder what's up with that? That is a huge price difference.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 03-01-2023 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-01-2023, 10:00 AM   #5
tubman

The "Third Generation" at Speedway. It's a family business rule :

The first generation builds the company and makes it successful.

The second generation keeps it going, making a good living.

The third generation sucks all of the money out of it and essentially ruins it.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:02 AM   #6
deuce_roadster

The businesses are there to make money and will charge the max that they can. Not just flathead parts, sadly everything has gone up. I sometimes wonder if it is like they want to price some things out of the market like what happened with paints. When I was restoring license plates a few years ago, I asked for a quart of a white enamel, (it used to be the cheapest). After I got it mixed and was surprised by the price, the guy told me I could have bought urethane for less. Said PPG wants to quit making plain enamel so when people stop buying it, they will.
I wonder how many sets of flathead heads they sell compared to 10 or 15 years ago?
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:08 AM   #7
Krylon32

Offy is no longer owned by the family. Higher foundry prices plus their antiquated machining techniques and high profit margins may price them out of business. Their 5272 Flathead bellhousing which I bought countless 100's used to retail at around 295.00 is now listed at 654.00
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:50 AM   #8
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
The "Third Generation" at Speedway. It's a family business rule :

The first generation builds the company and makes it successful.

The second generation keeps it going, making a good living.

The third generation sucks all of the money out of it and essentially ruins it.
Tubman
You sound like my best friend.....Verbatim!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 11:02 AM   #9
sidevalve8ba

Who owns Offy now?
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 11:42 AM   #10
deuce lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba View Post
Who owns Offy now?

Here is what came up when I Googled it.May not be current.

Offenhauser Sales Corporation is an American manufacturer of racing, custom car and performance automotive parts founded around 1946 by Fred C. Offehhauser, nephew of Fred H. Offehhauser, co-designer of the Offy racing engine.[2] As of 2016, the third generation President of the company is Fred C. "Tay" Offenhauser, grand nephew of founder Fred C. Offenhauser.[1][3][2] After working with his uncle Fred H. Offenhauser in the 1930s and 1940s, Fred C. served the US Navy during World War II, and returned home to found his speed parts business. The company is unrelated to the Offy or Offenhauser racing engine, and after a suit over the use of the name, Offenhauser Sales Corporation was allowed to use the family name, but not the racing engine nickname "Offy".[2]
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 04:46 PM   #11
slowforty

Evidently Speedway has to pay for the new Museum Addition.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 05:34 PM   #12
Farley's34

It's EVERYWHERE! Last year I bought a TANKS 32 fuel tank part number TNK-32Z-S FOR $350.99 from Summit Racing, last week I bought another $434.99.
Farley's34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 07:59 PM   #13
busmania

Being new to these cars (bought my first Flathead in October) I just kind of assumed this is how it is. I think I’ll be into my engine build about 5k and that’s me putting it together using original merc crank I got for almost free, new pistons, new cam, machine work, edelbrock heads (bought today from speedway), strombergs etc. it’s getting pricey but I just kind of accepted it for what it was when I started this project.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:09 PM   #14
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by busmania View Post
Being new to these cars (bought my first Flathead in October) I just kind of assumed this is how it is. I think I’ll be into my engine build about 5k and that’s me putting it together using original merc crank I got for almost free, new pistons, new cam, machine work, edelbrock heads (bought today from speedway), strombergs etc. it’s getting pricey but I just kind of accepted it for what it was when I started this project.
Hey, sounds good. I'm not kidding when I say rejoice in a $5K rebuild with that parts list.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:09 PM   #15
Newc

Pricing themselves out of business-they are. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 11:46 PM   #16
swedishsteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Pricing themselves out of business-they are. Newc

Yup. Got a new Speedway catalog the other day and paged through, especially the Flathead section, was shocked at the prices and the catalog promptly went in the recycle. Used to go to Speedway first when looking for stuff, but seems their prices increased more so than some other vendors. They do have quick shipping.
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:14 AM   #17
Ol' Ron

Last year I helped a friend of mine put together a 258 for his 1947 F-1. Local shop bored and fitted Egge pistons installed the rotating assy, Valve job with EAB cam & Heads (owner supplied) Max VP did the transmission Stock intake and dist (8ba). Engine was 3500, trans 1500 While all this was going on, rewired the truck (6V) new brakes. Truck was on the road before the snow hit and it's a real pleasure to drive, power is more than adequate. All the suspension is under the gun this winter. First test the "Weston Andover hill) and MPG. Maybe you don't need a 3800 dollar rotting assy.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:11 AM   #18
47topless

Quote:
Originally Posted by busmania View Post
Interesting, thank you for posting this. Glad I saw this before making an offer on the used heads you have listed in the swap meet section.
47topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 02:51 PM   #19
busmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47topless View Post
Interesting, thank you for posting this. Glad I saw this before making an offer on the used heads you have listed in the swap meet section.
So you’re saying I sabotaged my own sale? lol. I think my edmunds are over priced. What do you think they are worth?
Old 03-02-2023, 03:36 PM   #20
Ronnieroadster

I'm amazed how some feel the cost of parts today are out of hand. For us this is certainly a hobby. At times we forget the company's actually offering items for sale we use for this great hobby are doing this so they earn a return on the cost associated with what they offer. Materials, tooling, machinery, labor, a building to do everything in the cost related to every aspect of business has to be considered.

Here we are in 2023 and we can still purchase new parts for our Ford flatheads as well as the parts to restore our Ford cars without much difficulty. Who would have imagined so long ago that in the 21st century this would be possible.

I for one have no problem paying for the parts when needed and I'm glad places like Speedway, Carpenter and others have taken the time to offer and also make items we all can use. We of course each have a choice on what we buy and what we use. If the items offered by many company's were not available this hobby we are enjoying would certainly have died a slow death by now.

Ronnieroadster
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote