Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2023, 12:31 AM   #1
Newc

Default tires from Speedway- only have 16"-Shocking Prices

Just got a shocking update- All Firestone 16"ers start at $245 @ I won't be buying any soon, but do need some 17" ers, probably NOT Firestones. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 11:25 AM   #2
Krylon32

Default Re: tires from Speedway- only have 16"-Shocking Prices

Newc: Tires have gotten ridiculous. When I bought the last set of Excelsior 700-18 tires they were around 380.00 each. The ones I bought recently were around 475.00. Almost a 100.00 increase in less than a year. In August of 2021 I ordered a 2022 Silverado 2500 HD. I always run Michelans so I ordered the tires in August to lock in the price. By the time I took delivery in late Jan of 2022 the tire guy said the tires had had 4 price increases. Things have changed
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 11:34 AM   #3
jyardog

Things are changing for sure and not for the better.
jyardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:21 PM   #4
Flathead Fever

At least you're not buying repro Shelby GT-350 tires. $500.00 each and I need a spare too, I'm still trying to decide if use that money towards a flathead for a '34 pickup of tires for the Shelby. A dozen years ago, at the phone company fleet where worked, they tracked the cost per mile. Fuel was for #1, tires #2 and maintenance labor #3. We only got 6000 miles out of the six tires on the F-350 arial boom trucks that were up in the mountains. I ran the shop with the lowest overall costs per mile in CA. Just me and 157 vehicles doing 100% of everything in house except for warranty work and engine machine work, nobody to help me lift those big truck tires or anything thing else. That got me a retirement that won't buy me tires, two back surgeries, three shoulder surgeries and maybe a fourth shoulder surgery on the way.

I bought a used coats tire machine and a used Snap-On computerized spin balancer. I probably spent $2000 on them. I couldn't stand paying for something I used to for a living. I used to be able to mount my personal tires at work. It will take a lot of tire mounting to break even on those machines but I don't have to worry about having the tire shops scratch my rims,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180520_172710 copy.jpg (41.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 20180520_193420 - Copy.jpg (40.7 KB, 24 views)
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:10 PM   #5
tetanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post
At least you're not buying repro Shelby GT-350 tires. $500.00 each and I need a spare too, I'm still trying to decide if use that money towards a flathead for a '34 pickup of tires for the Shelby. A dozen years ago, at the phone company fleet where worked, they tracked the cost per mile. Fuel was for #1, tires #2 and maintenance labor #3. We only got 6000 miles out of the six tires on the F-350 arial boom trucks that were up in the mountains. I ran the shop with the lowest overall costs per mile in CA. Just me and 157 vehicles doing 100% of everything in house except for warranty work and engine machine work, nobody to help me lift those big truck tires or anything thing else. That got me a retirement that won't buy me tires, two back surgeries, three shoulder surgeries and maybe a fourth shoulder surgery on the way.

I bought a used coats tire machine and a used Snap-On computerized spin balancer. I probably spent $2000 on them. I couldn't stand paying for something I used to for a living. I used to be able to mount my personal tires at work. It will take a lot of tire mounting to break even on those machines but I don't have to worry about having the tire shops scratch my rims,
I was wondering if you could explain the best way to mount and dismount tube tires on the old coats style machine for us without damaging tube and rim scratching? Sorry for high jacking the thread.....
tetanus is offline   Reply With Quote