Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
jerry shook

Default Poise superslide springs

Has anyone put the poise superslide springs on your (a). i AM THINKING ABOUT PUTTING THEM ON my 31 s/w. tell me.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Poise superslide springs

I am of the opinion that the only real reason (benefit) for using the Posey Superslide is for a chrome-plated spring. Otherwise, a spring that has been "tuned" on the edges and has graphite between the leaves does just as well IMHO.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
jerry shook

Brent. I dont wont crome, just wont a better working spring I have had several model A's . How do you keep the springs from rusting. and not sliding .
Old 02-01-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
GOW

I think for the price you can't go wrong
GOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
kelley's restoration

i would just take the spring apart and put a nice radius on the ends of the leafs. do as brent said with the grafite, and while your at it reverse the main spring eye with a bottle jack press.
but thats just me
tk
Old 02-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
Tim Armstrong

I had a 37 Ford with a dual rear spring set up. I took the springs apart and lined them with a teflon plastic liner, you could tell the differnce in the ride. I have Posies super slide springs on my Hot Rods and is makes a difference. smooth. You can get a roll of the teflon liner from any hot rod shop.
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
zzlegend

I put them on my roadster front and rear. They work very smooth but i guess it all depends if you are a purist and want that original look. I am not a purist on certain things.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
Jim Brierley

I have one on the front of my tudor, works fine. I then found that I could have gotten it at cheaper price from Speedway Motors in NE. I did have a problem with the size of the eyes.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
denis4x4

I have the Posie superslide springs on two cars and a variation on the theme on a quarter elliptic suspension setup. Very smooth.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
I put them on my roadster front and rear. They work very smooth but i guess it all depends if you are a purist and want that original look. I am not a purist on certain things.
How we started down this "purist road" on this I'm not sure, -but answer me this please, ...are you saying your Posie spring works better than what a stock spring that has the edges softened and uses graphite lubricant between the leaves does? If you are saying it does, then please explain to me "why".

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #11
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
How we started down this "purist road" on this I'm not sure, -but answer me this please, ...are you saying your Posie spring works better than what a stock spring that has the edges softened and uses graphite lubricant between the leaves does? If you are saying it does, then please explain to me "why".

Definition of PURIST

: a person who adheres strictly and often excessively to a tradition; especially : one preoccupied with the purity of a language and its protection from the use of foreign or altered forms

No,,,,,that is not what i am saying. I am saying that my posies springs work very nice and give a good ride. A stock spring that has been reworked to your standards would probably work very well. But i think it is a matter of preference. Hence forth,,,,,if a person likes the "purist" look of an original spring then run one. But if he does not care so much of a stock appearing spring, then a posies would work nicely. But a posies spring does have the raised button type look at the end of each leaf which differs from the original look of an original spring. Should i add a double smiley face?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:46 AM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Jerry's question was that he "wants a better working spring". Ok, I see your point now. You are just suggesting is if he wants a different look, then the Posies would be the way to go however it will not ride any different than if he were to restore the original spring. .

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 02-02-2011, 06:22 AM   #13
jerry shook

GREAT CONVERSION. I HAVE TWO MODLE (A) I KEEP ORIGINAL LOOKING ,THIS S/W HAS A T-5 5 SPEED DOWN DRAFT CARB ,ELECTRONIC IGNITION, HIGH COMP HEAD ,ALUNIMUM RADIATOR, ALTINATOR, 16 inch wheels, 215-70-R16 TIRES AND HOT ROD BLACK PAINT. IT ALSO HAS A LIGHTEN FLYWHEEL ,LATE MODEL CLUTCH AND PRESSURE PLATE. I DRIVE IT ALL THE TIME, WITH THE ORIGINAL SPRING THEY RUST, WONT SLIDE LIKE THEY SHOULD.THANKS GOD BLESS.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #14
cannon

jerry:you copied my truck
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #15
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry shook View Post
GREAT CONVERSION. I HAVE TWO MODLE (A) I KEEP ORIGINAL LOOKING ,THIS S/W HAS A T-5 5 SPEED DOWN DRAFT CARB ,ELECTRONIC IGNITION, HIGH COMP HEAD ,ALUNIMUM RADIATOR, ALTINATOR, 16 inch wheels, 215-70-R16 TIRES AND HOT ROD BLACK PAINT. IT ALSO HAS A LIGHTEN FLYWHEEL ,LATE MODEL CLUTCH AND PRESSURE PLATE. I DRIVE IT ALL THE TIME, WITH THE ORIGINAL SPRING THEY RUST, WONT SLIDE LIKE THEY SHOULD.THANKS GOD BLESS.
Yes Jerry, They do rust and bind alot. A stock spring that is. If you like the stock looking leaves then you really do have to take them apart and rework and lube them to make them work decent. Just my prinion. And good luck whichever way you go. Mark.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #16
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry shook View Post
My aren't you the fancy one.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #17
Tom Wesenberg

This has worked well for me. I've done a few for customers. Round the bottoms of the ends of each spring leaf. Grind the edge of any worn pockets on the tops of each spring leaf. Sandblast and powdercoat the springs, then coat them with Mystik JT-6 High Temp grease, sprinkle on graphite, and wrap them with spring covers. I can't imagine they will ever see a speck of rust in my lifetime, and they have an excellent smooth ride.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #18
zzlegend

Tom. That looks like an excellent way to do a stock spring. I did one years ago for a friend, about the same way, except i used sta-lube disc brake grease and did not wrap it. He wanted to maintain the look but i think that wrapping them like you did would be much better in keeping the elements out. The time spent in grinding and sandblasting is well worth the effort when completed.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #19
callcoy

While at the Turlock Swap Meet over the weekend, I picked up some anti-friction plastic material. The cross section looks like a flattened U, flat where it contacts the spring, while the edges have a little upturn. This upturn I believe will keep the anti-friction material from twisting out. Yes I know it doesn't follow form but it is the function that I am looking for. Besides the rolls were 10-12' long in to differant widths and were $1.00 a roll. At that price I couldn't pass it up, I love a great deal!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #20
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
Yes Jerry, They do rust and bind alot. A stock spring that is. If you like the stock looking leaves then you really do have to take them apart and rework and lube them to make them work decent. Just my prinion. And good luck whichever way you go. Mark.
OK help me out here, ...if the urethane button is rubbing on the steel Posie spring, before long wouldn't the spring leaf become bare metal, --and subject to rusting. Now the sharp rust particles abrade against the urethane button causing them to wear? I am of the opinion that it would. Naturally this could be alleviated if we were to periodically spray some oil between the Posie leaves however I would think the same thing could be said of the stock leaves.

OK I'll admit that I am just messin' with you! Thanks for playin' along!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com