Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
laryh

Default Vent window rivets?

Does anyone know any vendors who sell the front door vent window rivets? I need to refinish my window frames and install new vent window seals on my 48 Merc coupe. I have not been able to find a vendor who sells them. My local glass installers are no help at all.
laryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
41Fordor

Default Re: Vent window rivets?

The Vintique vent window seals sold by Macs include the rivets, but they're not pop rivets. I guess you need special equipment to install them. I've disassembled one side only until I get around to doing the woodgrain on the escutcheon, I'm leaving the other side alone for now. My original rubber isn't that bad, I just need to refinish the woodgrain. I have also heard that Vintique rubber isn't that great, debating buying the Dennis Carpenter set if I'm going to go through all the work.
41Fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
oldford2

Unless you are in Concours judging you can use small (10-32?) machine bolts and nuts. That's what I used and the judges didn't catch it. John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
Ford46

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryh View Post
Does anyone know any vendors who sell the front door vent window rivets? I need to refinish my window frames and install new vent window seals on my 48 Merc coupe. I have not been able to find a vendor who sells them. My local glass installers are no help at all.
There a vendors that have a small bolt with a rounded head that looks like a rivet. They are used to mount the handles and latches on trunks for Model A's and other cars, also used on tool boxes. Basically, bolt and nut as oldford2 described with out any standard slot or phillips slot in the head.
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
paul2748

There is a company named Big Flats Rivets that have all kinds and sizes of rivets. www.bigflatsrivet.com

If this is the rivet that holds the frame of the window to the vent frame, I used a stainless machine screw with a nylock nut. My car is a street rod though.
paul2748 is online now   Reply With Quote