Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
cubdriver55

Default 32 Ford Frame question

I have a 32 3 window coupe that was made into a hot rod in the late 70s early 80s. The body is channeled and firewall braces were removed. On the frame where the frame number should be is 18490xxx then under it is WEF. The title has these numbers on it so the title matches the frame. This looks like a 34 frame number but it is a 32 frame. I thought perhaps it was a new frame that someone stamped the numbers in but why would an old 32 title have a 34 frame #? I do not see where there are any holes for the firewall braces, that is why I thought it might be a new frame. The car has been with this title for many years but no way to trace it back to 32. I was told some 32s were built overseas until 1935 is that true? could it have been built in an overseas plant? Could someone have replaced the motor in the early years then had the motor vin put on the title? Then later a new frame was punched with the vin to match title? Any idea what the WEF is? Thanks Steve
cubdriver55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: 32 Ford Frame question

I used to have a 33 frame from Canada and the letters were at the beginning. It started C18H-xxxx. Look closer at the letters, maybe they are WTF! sorry, couldn't resist. I've seen a lot of 32 frames and never seen letters like you describe.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
rotorwrench

You may have to check the other two locations on the frame and see if they all match. It's been a long time since 32 and everybody wants one. I've heard of several "1932" cars that have weird frame numbers that don't stack up to the OEM linear group. Canadian manufactured cars could have ended up anywhere in the comonwealth but many were right hand drive. The model 18 V8 cars got a late start in 1932 so they aren't as common as any single year of the model A cars are. I'm not sure about the model B 4-cylinder cars though. There may be a lot more of them around but they aren't numbered the same.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
cubdriver55

bmp
Old 01-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
cubdriver55

bmp
Old 01-01-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
rotorwrench

I have recently noticed a 28 roadster on 32 rails for sale on C-List. The seller mentioned that it has "late 1940's California AV8 title". This makes me wonder if this may have been a particular state requirement in order to get it registered. Every state is different on this stuff and there has been a lot of water under the bridge since the date of manufacture of the "parts"
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
TJ

I live in California and have owned Model A's with flatheads in them and never heard of a "California AV8 title". . Anyone who purchases this car should make darn sure that the numbers on the title match the frame numbers or they could be in for a huge problem when it comes to registering the vehicle. If the vehicle has not been registered for the past 5 years it will need to be inspected by the DMV or Highway Patrol to make sure the numbers on the frame match the title.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
cubdriver55

bmp
Old 01-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #9
cubdriver55

bmp
Old 01-29-2014, 10:51 PM   #10
Andy

I would look for places where the frame was stitched together. I suspect the front rails are not 32 and are what the builder had a title to. Either that or they are new rails put in and the number to an existing title stamped on. This probably the case given the lack of holes. A Ford number would have the star and 18 followed by the rest of the numbers and another star at the end. Just because the number has a sequence for a 34 Ford does not mean the number was not from a Chevy or something. The mods could have happened 60 years ago as people have been fixing up these cars since they were new.
Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #11
Uncle Bob

One way to differentiate an original frame from a later aftermarket is in the area you describe. Originals have a "dimple" on either side under the firewall feet that is on the fold from the top portion to the side of the rail. Some very fussy people have removed those from stock frames, and/or knocked them into repro frames, but the vast majority don't bother either way.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
BP

I'd say the letters could possibly be someones initials from a previous build. I take it the WEF isn't on the title...?
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #13
redo32

It seems all of my '32's have had numbers problems. First one 40 years ago had a strange N CAL xxxx number on the title. It was a valid Oregon title, had no problem putting it in my name. Sandblasted the frame & found original Ford numbers. Had a police inspection and sent the paperwork into DMV and got the frame numbers on the title, no problem. My 3 window was a built hot rod 30 years ago. I wanted to find the history of the car & did a title search. The title had come from Washington in 1955, the story on the car is it came from a farmers field in Oregon. The title numbers were stamped on the front cross member with 1/8" stamps. Obviously done by the owner, not Henry. Yet, the DMV accepted it. When sandblasting this one I found the factory correct numbers on the rear kickup. I haven't straightened this one out yet. The fordor I just got was sold new in Washington & spent it's whole life there. The last owner had it since 1964, but he bought it in a Sheriff's sale. Washington DMV generated some bogus numbers that today nobody in their office could tell me what the reasoning for the numbers, nobody restamped the frame. Being from out of state I had to get DMV and State police to inspect the numbers and after 3 months and dealing with a lot of stupid people and two smart ones, I got the new title with the correct numbers on it.
redo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #14
cubdriver55

How did you do a title search? Thanks steve
Old 01-30-2014, 08:28 PM   #15
redo32

Oregon has a form to fill out and a fee of $20 (if I remember right). They will research & tell you every time the tittle changed hands. Used to get the name of the owner,but because of privacy you only get the date & town.
redo32 is offline   Reply With Quote