Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #1
glennpm

Default Fluid Level Adjustment for Fuel Gauge- 1932

Yesterday I decided to add a little of the red fluid to my 1932 fuel level gauge. It was reading about 3/4 full when it was actually full. It dropped maybe an 1/8 over probably about six months this winter.

I added a little fluid using a toothpick, maybe five or six drops. After I tightened the fuel level copper line to the gauge top. I rocked the car a number of times but the level was way down and less than 1/4 full. This morning no fluid was visible. The fitting is real tight and has been since closing it yesterday.

I drained most of the gas from the tank, rocked the car a number of times and now a few hours later no fluid is visible at all.

Is there a better trick to this? It not not so easy pulling the gauge and it didn't seem as though I could readily add red fluid with the gauge mounted and the top nut removed. Car is not registered so can't take it for a ride.

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: Fluid Level Adjustment for Fuel Gauge- 1932

There is no trick, With the gas tank empty, remove the hydrostatic line on the back of the gauge, fill the small brass tank in the rear of the gauge until the sight glass reads exactly empty, then reinstall the hydrostatic line. Put some gas in the tank and drive the car. The gauge will read correctly if the hydrostatic line has or the hydrostatice gas tank sender does not have a leak or is blocked.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
drkbp

While you have the gauge out, pump air back through the air line from the dash connection. Clears the line. I use a little volleyball air pump.

Also, if the gauge drops slightly over a period of weeks or months don't add fluid just drive the car. Driving the car sloshes the fuel around the gauge and it will entrap some air again. That will put the gauge back where it was originally. If the gauge is leaking red fluid, get another one. That red fluid is corrosive.
drkbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:42 AM   #4
glennpm

Thanks guys for your responses.

The thing that is odd is that there appears to be no leakage from the bottom of the gauge, was working pretty good and now no fluid is at all visible. The capillary tube was new last Fall so it is clean and as I said, was functioning good although dropped a little over the Winter. I should have left it alone until I could get it out on the road. I'm going to pull it again and add fluid to the 0 mark.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote