Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2023, 09:57 PM   #21
B-O-B

Default Re: Safety of old tires

Have you tried Tractor Supply ?
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:07 PM   #22
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
You sure DiamondBack doesn't sell tubes? Maybe just not shown on their web site catalog? When I bought their expensive Auburn tires six years ago, the order-taker added radial tubes for only $10 per tube. No doubt would be more now.
I should call. thanks!
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:12 PM   #23
GB SISSON

I ordered a pair of 7.50 x 17 inner tubes for my tonner from Morrow Tire which has 100% positive feedback on ebay. The tubes were Firestone and seemed to be of high quality with the correct brass stems.. I installed one yesterday and another today. I then ordered two more since I have two tonners and a utility trailer with same wheels and that's a hard to find size.

https://www.ebay.com/str/morrowtire
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 12:28 AM   #24
Brian

Instead of fitting radial tubes, I run tractor tubes in my radials...they are of heavier construction, and the valve stems are correctly sized to suit old Ford rims. Radial tubes have regular 'skinny' valve stems which necessitate the fitting of plastic grommets into the hole in rim to take up the difference
Old 03-19-2023, 09:06 AM   #25
nickthebandit

Several years ago, I decided to put new tires on my non-stock 1931 Ford roadster after discovering cracks in the outer sidewall of 1 tire. I stepped up, and paid the price for new tires. After my old tires were removed, I saw many cracks on the inside walls of the tires including one crack that ran all around the inside wall of the tire. I was very thankful that I replaced my tires as the original tires were white-walled tires about 20 plus years old. I sold the set of 4 old tires for $ 100.00 to a guy that wanted some tires to just roll his car around.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 10:34 AM   #26
oldbugger

I've been running tubeless radials on my 35 with original wheels for about 10 yrs, no problems...
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:36 PM   #27
Ian NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Instead of fitting radial tubes, I run tractor tubes in my radials...they are of heavier construction, and the valve stems are correctly sized to suit old Ford rims. Radial tubes have regular 'skinny' valve stems which necessitate the fitting of plastic grommets into the hole in rim to take up the difference
Brian, I will have to replace the whitewall tyres on the 1947 sedan coupe they have been on there 50 years what would be the best tyre to replace them in N.Z.
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:25 PM   #28
drgoetz

I know a guy that is running Ford branded tires. He got the set for $200.The tires do have new inner tubes.

When was the last time Ford installed Ford Branded tires?

Can't talk him out of using these tires because he only runs in town (35 mph or less).

Any thoughts?
drgoetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:57 PM   #29
Carl

...in my opinion, new tires that fail before the life span of the tire(as established by the manufacturer of the tire, 6 years maybe) should be eligeable for a recall notice simliar to a vehicle recall. Especially when the manufacturer knows there is a manufacturing defect. This would insure safety and customer good will.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:02 PM   #30
deuce_roadster

If you go to my MISC folder, second page I have pictures of a friend's 40 coupe that burned due to a very old bias ply Left Rear tire (all were old) that blew out, took out the filler neck, and sparks from the rim set it blazing. Had just filled the tank and was on a tour. Luckily all occupants got out. The 4 pictures show what old tires can do.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:27 PM   #31
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
If you go to my MISC folder, second page I have pictures of a friend's 40 coupe that burned due to a very old bias ply Left Rear tire (all were old) that blew out, took out the filler neck, and sparks from the rim set it blazing. Had just filled the tank and was on a tour. Luckily all occupants got out. The 4 pictures show what old tires can do.

Glad to know all the occupants got out. Regardless of insurance or monetary concerns, don't want to go there. I work with probabilities a lot. There's a pair that's often used in analyzing these occurrences. Probability and consequence. It may be low probability but it is high consequence. And the consequences could have been much worse. If they'd been going 70mph and lost control of the car well....
Old 03-21-2023, 08:36 PM   #32
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post

deuce_roadster said I could post his images. They're food for thought about running old tires.

Old 03-22-2023, 04:20 PM   #33
Jeff/Illinois

What a shame on that '40 Coupe.

A buddy at the local front end shop reminded me a while back, that tires have a seven year shelf life, generally. So, just because you bought 'new' tires if they have been sitting somewhere for 3-4 years they are half way to being old.

You may want to verify that those new tires are indeed, new.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 09:38 PM   #34
SoCalCoupe

Arrgh! Bought a new set of five new Diamondback Auburn radials with radial tubes also from Diamondback and had them installed. Had a flat on the way home from the shop with less than five miles on the tires. Hope I didn't ruin it. Used the plastic spacers to accommodate the smaller valve stem in the larger wheel hole. Naturally I suspect faulty installation but I haven't taken the time to inspect yet. Changed the tire, drove the rest of the way home, put the car in the garage and called it quits for the day.

Ironically, I removed my jack and tools to make room for the tires on the way to the shop so had to call a friend to shuttle me back home to get my jack and tools.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:22 PM   #35
GB SISSON

I have run a lot of used tires over the years, but this thread has gotten my attention. On Tuesday the UPS truck delivered 4 new tires for my 4x4 roadster pickup. I thought the tires I bought used 20 years ago looked fine. No cracks, no chalky or any bad signs . At least not until I dismounted them to install the new tires. Hopefully Pete will blow up (no pun intended) the tread photo to show all the hidden cracks. We are hoping to head over Washington Pass this summer for a trip to Eastern Washington in this jalopy, which was my wife's idea. Great peace of mind and who doesn't like being knee deep in rubber?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seven year tires 1.jpg (59.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg seven year tires 2.jpg (63.8 KB, 52 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 04-16-2023, 12:16 AM   #36
Newc

Western Oregon- all used tires go to Molalla Tire Disposal and into the 'GRINDER'. They'll take your old tires for $2 @. Their trucks pickup old tires from shops all over the Pacific NW. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 03:29 PM   #37
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoupe View Post
Arrgh! Bought a new set of five new Diamondback Auburn radials with radial tubes also from Diamondback and had them installed. Had a flat on the way home from the shop with less than five miles on the tires. .... Changed the tire, drove the rest of the way home, put the car in the garage and called it quits for the day.

Pulled the flat tire out of the trunk and figured it out in about 30 seconds. Diamondback uses wood spacers to hold the beads spread apart on the tires. The tire shop let one fall into the tire and then installed the inner tube right over it. I can hear it rolling around in there. No wonder the tube burst after just a few miles.
Old 04-16-2023, 06:48 PM   #38
GB SISSON

Geez, SoCal! That's a new one on me. I hope the installer gets yelled at for that bonehead move. On tube tires I sneak my wife's vacuum out of the house to suck up any grit before the tube goes in. On my fiirst freeway trip in the woodie I got a flat after I reached my destination. Tire shop said it was abrasion from grit against the tube. But a block of wood?
Old 04-16-2023, 08:40 PM   #39
MGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Western Oregon- all used tires go to Molalla Tire Disposal and into the 'GRINDER'. They'll take your old tires for $2 @. Their trucks pickup old tires from shops all over the Pacific NW. Newc
They also took some old widow maker truck wheels that I had.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:49 PM   #40
Bob/Ohio

I have had 2 tires on different cars of mine blow sitting in my garage last year. Cars had not been driven for months. Yes tires were 15 + years old. Both tires blew the tread right off the casing in one area. Glad I wasn't on the highway.
b
Bob
Bob/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote