Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2023, 12:23 AM   #1
cjshaker

Default Wood graining of dash....how or who?

I'm looking for any advice for the wood graining of a '37 dash. I have plenty of know-how in finishing for paint, but this is a whole 'nother thing, and I'm at a loss.

Does anyone have any really good videos or tutorials on how this is done, or maybe someone who does it professionally? I hate farming out work, preferring to do everything myself, but this may be outside my ability to get a job I'd be happy with.

I'm looking for a finish like this one. It looks to be an Oak finish. Not sure if it's original for '37s, but it is beautiful.

cjshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 01:15 AM   #2
T Scott

Default Re: Wood graining of dash....how or who?

Some good videos at Grain-it Technologies. woodgraining.com
You can purchase everything needed to do it yourself.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 05:13 AM   #3
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Also there is the Hydrographic method.
The dash is dipped into a water bath containing a transfer pattern.
Look it up on You Tube.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 06:08 AM   #4
hotcoupe

"Wood graining by Estes" I think they are in Fort Wayne Indiana. They are the best, in my opinion, they have the original plates from Benny Estes. I would NOT use Grain-it-technologies.
Tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:19 AM   #5
Kube

John at Honest Charlie's did a number of sets for me. each was stunning and correct. He was timely and kept in touch through the process.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:40 AM   #6
DavidG

The color of that in your photo is more like that of the '36 wood graining, but the grain itself is pretty close to the original '37. That in the photo below was done by one of the authors of the V8 Club's '37 book and a dead ringer match of what was on the dash of this low-mileage cabriolet before its restoration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 78-760-1.jpg (58.6 KB, 220 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:16 AM   #7
gwistrup

There are tons of videos on youtube showing several different techniques for wood graining. If you are familiar with painting, this should be in your wheelhouse as long as you have some art skills. I would be curious to know how much a professional like Honest Charlie charges for his service. He does a beautiful job. I am in the process of woodgraining the window trim on my 1940 V8. I put the base on the other day and now I'm ready to attempt the wood grain. I have to try a mimic a walnut finish. It probably won't be to Dearborn standards but it should be better than what was there after 83 years.
gwistrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:32 AM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwistrup View Post
There are tons of videos on youtube showing several different techniques for wood graining. If you are familiar with painting, this should be in your wheelhouse as long as you have some art skills. I would be curious to know how much a professional like Honest Charlie charges for his service. He does a beautiful job. I am in the process of woodgraining the window trim on my 1940 V8. I put the base on the other day and now I'm ready to attempt the wood grain. I have to try a mimic a walnut finish. It probably won't be to Dearborn standards but it should be better than what was there after 83 years.
I'd sent him five sets (five cars) of moldings a few years back. He gave me a little discount as I send him so many. I think the normal price is about $1000 per car.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:57 AM   #9
Ben38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoupe View Post
"Wood graining by Estes" I think they are in Fort Wayne Indiana. They are the best, in my opinion, they have the original plates from Benny Estes. I would NOT use Grain-it-technologies.
Tom
Just curious. Why would you not use Grain-it?
Ben38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 11:37 AM   #10
cjshaker

Thanks very much to everyone for the suggestions. I was not at all impressed with the videos from Grain-it. Besides the crappy video quality, when he was trying to roll the dash, and it was rocking around, only showed me how unprofessional they were.

I could not find anything from Wood Graining By Estes. Honest Charlie had a nice website with good pictures of some wonderful work. I think I'll give them a call. According to their pricing on the website, dashes start at $1000 and goes up for other trim and extra work. Plus, they use PPG paints and clears, which are the best in my opinion. Thanks very much for that suggestion.

And DavidG, thanks for the color and grain reference. I really wanted to stay away from the 'burl' look because it's just a bit too "rich" for my tastes. The picture you posted looks very authentic and nice. I think I'll go with that, as I want to keep the car as close to original as I can.

BTW, I'm still looking for that '37 specific RH 1/4 window Coupe esutchion if anyone can help. I hate to change to the later 5 screw style if I don't have to. I need it before I can do the wood graining. I have not been able to locate one yet.
Old 03-13-2023, 12:28 PM   #11
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjshaker View Post
Thanks very much to everyone for the suggestions. I was not at all impressed with the videos from Grain-it. Besides the crappy video quality, when he was trying to roll the dash, and it was rocking around, only showed me how unprofessional they were.

I could not find anything from Wood Graining By Estes. Honest Charlie had a nice website with good pictures of some wonderful work. I think I'll give them a call. According to their pricing on the website, dashes start at $1000 and goes up for other trim and extra work. Plus, they use PPG paints and clears, which are the best in my opinion. Thanks very much for that suggestion.

And DavidG, thanks for the color and grain reference. I really wanted to stay away from the 'burl' look because it's just a bit too "rich" for my tastes. The picture you posted looks very authentic and nice. I think I'll go with that, as I want to keep the car as close to original as I can.

BTW, I'm still looking for that '37 specific RH 1/4 window Coupe esutchion if anyone can help. I hate to change to the later 5 screw style if I don't have to. I need it before I can do the wood graining. I have not been able to locate one yet.
I really enjoyed working with Jonathan at Charlie's. He'd also done a set for a '38 Buick I'd restored. He told me it was the biggest challenge he'd ever taken on.
There were four different colors and two different grains. What he'd sent me was nothing short of stunning!
Old 03-13-2023, 12:36 PM   #12
Newc

Caution about shipping those important parts. A member of RG 85 had all his parts for a '32 3 window, shipped to the East Coast for wood graining. The return shipment had 'Speed Shop' stickers/labels on the box and it was Stolen [lost] by USPS!! A full set of wood grained parts for a Dearborn 32 3w GONE!! Investigators tracked it to a Midwest Depot and it disappeared for ever! Max insurance 5K did not properly cover the loss. Early /Late difference. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 12:42 PM   #13
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Caution about shipping those important parts. A member of RG 85 had all his parts for a '32 3 window, shipped to the East Coast for wood graining. The return shipment had 'Speed Shop' stickers/labels on the box and it was Stolen [lost] by USPS!! A full set of wood grained parts for a Dearborn 32 3w GONE!! Investigators tracked it to a Midwest Depot and it disappeared for ever! Max insurance 5K did not properly cover the loss. Early /Late difference. Newc
I will admit to being quite anxious when I'd most recently sent my dash for the '36 roadster out.
Old 03-13-2023, 12:53 PM   #14
Oldbluoval

I’ve not bothered much with Grain-it videos. However, I’ve watched live demo at Hershey several times. The lady doing live demo is very good and professional.
I have a buddy that bought their kit. He uses it marvelously.
I think practice and a bit of just expertise and general skills is necessary.
If you don’t have such, pay the big bucks to have it done. Also, if it’s for one project, the cost and learning curve might not be worth it. It’s not good to go right out of the box
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 01:38 PM   #15
DavidG

My issue with Grain-It is the limited range of offering in terms of grain and base color, which admittedly only matters if you want accurate replication of the original, but then, some do.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 01:39 PM   #16
cjshaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post

That's certainly something that concerns me on expensive purchases, or shipments. Quite fortunately, I will be making a trip fairly soon to South Pittsburg, TN, which is only a stones throw from Honest Charlie, so I can deliver them in person. I would probably request that no labels be used on the shipping box for return. I could even supply the box if they would agree to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
Also, if it’s for one project, the cost and learning curve might not be worth it. It’s not good to go right out of the box

I considered the pricing for all the equipment to do a professional job, and it looked like I'd be into it for over a grand, and since this is a one time job, the expense would not be worth it. Then there's the learning curve. You certainly wouldn't just jump in thinking that you'll get great results on your first attempt, and paint and supplies are not cheap these days! In the end, I would spend as much, if not more, to do it myself.

FYI, when I saw the spray can clear that Grain-It suggested, well, no professional uses spray cans on something of that magnitude. 'Nuff said about that.
Old 03-13-2023, 01:45 PM   #17
cjshaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
My issue with Grain-It is the limited range of offering in terms of grain and base color, which admittedly only matters if you want accurate replication of the original, but then, some do.

David, I thought there were multiple red flags on their videos. Using spray cans on a project like this is certainly not something that I would tolerate, let alone the reasons you mentioned. The clear final coat used is just as important as the rest of the process.
Old 03-13-2023, 01:46 PM   #18
rockfla

Make up your own "return" labels, I always make my own, I use my address as the sender AND as the receiver, that way IF by chance the label gets torn, ripped or whatever it will get return shipped to you any way!!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 01:50 PM   #19
hotcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben38 View Post
Just curious. Why would you not use Grain-it?
Hello, several years ago I needed to have my '40 standard garnish moldings wood grained. I contacted "Grain-it-technologies" ,they supplied me with a sample card, it looked good, so I sent them my moldings. They did not even start the work in the time they promised to have the work completed, so I told them to return my parts.
I looked thru some OLD Hemming's and found a telephone number for "Benny Estes", Benny was "the" guy to wood grain your moldings. Well Benny had passed, but his son in law agreed to do the work. The sample card he sent me and the sample card from "grain-it" was NO comparison! The son in law did the work on time, it was a perfect job, and he charged me less money than "grain-it". The work was done with a template and a roller, it is not artistically applied. Do a Google search for "Woodgrain by Estes", I believe they purchased the equipment from the Benny Estes estate.
Tom

Last edited by hotcoupe; 03-27-2023 at 10:37 AM.
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:35 AM   #20
Oldbluoval

Sometimes it’s the feeling of accomplishment to have done it yourself
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote