Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
MAP

Default Ring & pinion question

Hey guys, we have been thru this, but just wanted to make sure before I lay out the mula for the parts. I am working on 31 160B s/w 4dr. I was going to go with the High compression head 6:1 or 5.5:1 not sure which. Would the 3.54 R&P be too low. I had a Tudor a while back and seemed when I would pull a long hill, or down long gradual hill RPM's would be really high with STD 3.78 gear. The Tudor had stock head. Just wondering if the 3.54 would be good for all around driving with the HC head. I have a Ryan Overdrive 23% I believe, but would only use that if I was on the highway. Anybody out there that may have had the experience with these combinations. Any does or don'ts. I always thought that if I got another A I would put in the 3.54 to slow that fan down alittle and put on the HC head to increase the power to climb the hills.
MAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Ring & pinion question

A 3.54 ratio will be fine.

What is the key more than compression is your camshaft. The typical Touring-grind camshaft causing the torque band to be extended up the RPM band, so you need to remember that when spec-ing outour engine combo but if you were to use a very good A or B cam,--or use a Stipe cam, then you will find a 3.54, ...or even a 3.27 gear will be super.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
MAP

Thanks Brent,
Which cam & combo would not make me regret the 3.54. Is the Stipe cam a new one ? Does Snyder's or Bratton's carry the Stipe parts ?
Old 12-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I think I would go with the Stipe IB330.

Yes, you can order one through either of those vendors, --or direct from Bill at Specialty Motor Cams.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Larry Brumfield

Used or reground A cams are one of the main reasons why most Model A's won't run with exactly the same vigor as they did when new. Consequently, a new cam can make a big difference. However, in order to maximize cylinder pressure and get the most horsepower you need a high compression head!
Larry Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
MAP

What would be the best combination with the 3:54 R&P. (head,cam)
Old 12-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
Jim Brierley

If you are going to install the 23% Ryan, I would recommend a 3.78 R&P. Too high of a final drive will result in lugging the motor and poor fuel mileage. A final ratio on around 2.9:1 or 3:1 is ideal for most Model A's, regardless of compression or cam.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
Tom Endy

I agree with Jim Brierley. My Vic has a 23% Ryan with a 378 R&P. It also has a Snyder head and a B cam. I like the combination. I definately would not want a 354 R&P in it. I previously had a 33% Ryan in the car, and the combination is too high and limits when you can use the overdrive.

I put the 33% Ryan in my 29 coupe and have been trying to locate the two Ryan 23% gears with no luck. I would change them out if I could locate them. The coupe also has a 378 R&P with a high compression head.

Tom Endy

Last edited by Tom Endy; 12-23-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
Larry Brumfield

MAP, all this really depends on your personal power needs and speed requirement.

Over the years I had a multitude of customers running the 3.54 and a Brumfield Head and that's all. They were completely satisfied. Previously, they complained that the 3.54 lost out but the power increase from the head made enough difference for their personal requirement.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
MAP

Thanks guys. great feed back.
Larry, which head were they running, your 5.9 of the 6.0 or 6.0+. Did they also have a .330 cam ?
Old 12-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
Larry Brumfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP View Post
Thanks guys. great feed back.
Larry, which head were they running, your 5.9 of the 6.0 or 6.0+. Did they also have a .330 cam ?

The biggest percentage run the Regular B-F Head 5.9 but some run the B-F Super Heads in various ratios; 6.5, 6.85, 7 and 7.5 to 1.

Most did not change the cam. That's why I used the words "and that's all" in my post above. However, many did change the cam and when they did the biggest percentage changed to a B cam. Then of course quite a few went to larger valves, downdraft manifold/carb and so on and so forth.

Speed mods and improvements depend on how fast you want to go ... personally. Not some rigid guideline where you have to automatically add every improvement known.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #12
MAP

Thanks Larry
I like to drive my Car. I've driven A's & T's for years. I had a Tudor and sold it a few years back. Now I have the 31 S/W that I'm re doing. We have hills, long gradual hills, country roads, occasional highway driving. Not looking for speed. As with all A's your driving along, you hit the long gradual hill and you start to crawl. Going down the other side the fan is racing, going 40-45 fan is racing. You all know the rest. Just looking for confident, all around comfortable, enjoyable driving. (occasional highway included).
Old 12-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #13
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP View Post
Thanks Larry
I like to drive my Car. I've driven A's & T's for years. I had a Tudor and sold it a few years back. Now I have the 31 S/W that I'm re doing. We have hills, long gradual hills, country roads, occasional highway driving. Not looking for speed. As with all A's your driving along, you hit the long gradual hill and you start to crawl. Going down the other side the fan is racing, going 40-45 fan is racing. You all know the rest. Just looking for confident, all around comfortable, enjoyable driving. (occasional highway included).
Map...'fan is racing'.....
Change pulley size to reduce pump/pulley speed..is also another consideration. Sold by most vendors..I believe including Stipe.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Map, exactly which fan do you have on your pump?

A stock two-blade fan, --or even a four-blade fan really is NOT spinning too fast (racing) when the vehicle is traveling 40-45 mph. These vehicles were designed to travel speeds of 55-60 in a safe and reliable manner when they were new and equipped with a 3.78 gear ratio. If you are having issues or concerns at 45 mph, is it possible you have a damaged fan, ...or one that is defective (out of balance) that is causing you concern? Any thoughts???

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com