Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2023, 04:46 PM   #21
Sunny the Model A

Default Re: Kerosene

Quote:
The guy who invented autocorrect just died.
His funeral is Tomato. May he roast in piss.
Love that!
Old 11-08-2023, 12:58 PM   #22
rotorwrench

The best flush for any gearbox that is not automatic would be a light viscosity motor oil. Run it easy around the block or on stands then drain it out & refill with the recommended amount of an appropriate gear lube.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 08:22 AM   #23
8EL

Flushing with kerosene, or fuel oil will not hurt anything. Probably a good idea if changing from the 600w tar. The model A Ford transmission is not a synchronized box, there are no yellow metal synchronizing rings to be affected by the synthetic lube (post #18).

So tell me you guys using the 85w140 synthetic oils, do you experience oil leaks around the counter gear shaft at the back of the case? I was using conventional 80w90 but had a leaking problem where by I would have to top off the box twice a season. This problem went away with the 600w but shifting is no where near as nice with this oil as it was with the 80w90. I suspect that shifts would be even smoother with the synthetic 85w140 but do not want my leak back either.
8EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 05:38 PM   #24
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

I have a 5 quart jug of 85-190 gear oil. I’m thinking it would work in the trans and differential since it doesn’t get too cold here in inland Southern California except for a few days in winter and we get 90 - 100 degrees in summer.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 11:35 AM   #25
Richard Knight

An interesting post I have watched. There seems to be a lot of lost practical knowledge or what could be called common knowledge in older times. Although this thread wS centered on transmissions there was a time before "detergent" oils that the cure for a sludged up engine was to drain the oil, refill with say 4 quarts of oil and one quart of kerosene. Run the engine in place at a fast idle until thoroughly warmed up. Shut down drain and refill with fresh oil. It is amazing at what crap will come out. No need for the naysayers to respond. Been there done that and works just fine.
Richard Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 11:57 AM   #26
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Knight View Post
An interesting post I have watched. There seems to be a lot of lost practical knowledge or what could be called common knowledge in older times. Although this thread wS centered on transmissions there was a time before "detergent" oils that the cure for a sludged up engine was to drain the oil, refill with say 4 quarts of oil and one quart of kerosene. Run the engine in place at a fast idle until thoroughly warmed up. Shut down drain and refill with fresh oil. It is amazing at what crap will come out. No need for the naysayers to respond. Been there done that and works just fine.
I've got a bottle of Motor Medic 'Motor Flush' at home and I think it's essentially kerosene or similar. That's exactly what you do to use it.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote