Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
davidGR

Default Need some advice

Just installed a new Amco temp gauge from Synders on my car with the goose neck adapter.

I drove some co workers up to a lunch spot a few miles away, and my gauge is in the middle of the steam side.

Little worried to drive it back until it cools a lot more, how hot can these engines get before they crack warp etc?

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
davidGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll
Default Re: Need some advice

As long as there is water in most of the system, it is 212 Deg. where the water is. Keep it near full and take it home. 212 won’t hurt it.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:14 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Remember, antifreeze not only protects the block from freeze cracks, and lubricates the water pump, but it also prevents rust and raises the boiling point of the coolant.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
katy

Just because the gauge is new doesn't mean it's accurate. Compare it's reading w/an infared and see what you get.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

[QUOTE=davidGR;1669733]Just installed a new Amco temp gauge from Synders on my car with the goose neck adapter.

I drove some co workers up to a lunch spot a few miles away, and my gauge is in the middle of the steam side.

Little worried to drive it back until it cools a lot more, how hot can these engines get before they crack warp etc?

Thoughts?

My opinion

Running water - If it is not steaming through the radiator vent hose, or throwing out water via radiator cap, or throwing out water via the radiator vent hose (assuming you have not overfilled the radiator), or making gurgling/boiling sounds in the motor - you are probably OK.

If the above are happening or if you are concerned, lots of info and opinions available on the Barn. Do not know where you are located, unless it is extremely hot, running those temps indicates your car may need some help. from what I have heard here on the Barn, most As that are running well, cooling system clean and in good shape, do not run that hot.

I recently went through running Hot issues, ask if you want my opinion.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
davidGR

Update:

Got it home running the Gav 3/4 turn out, stayed at 190.

Took the radiator off and flushed and let it sit with CLR and vinegar.

My baffle is gone so I can see the tubes going down and I fished some wire down a couple and there all plugged.

It’s off the shop into that is known for Model A radiator repairs to get recored or rodded depending what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
davidGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #7
30 Closed Cab PU

Good news.

Perhaps you already know, but-

If you are going to do the block too. Might as well since the radiator is off . If using CLR and/or vinegar, make sure you flush/back flush well, and then block the bottom cooling inlet on the block and fill with baking soda/water mix let sit, then flush/backflush. Needed so remnants of the CLR/vinegar does not continue to work at the insides. Usually best to remove the water pump and seal the water pump block opening. On cars with original style water pumps/no seal, if pump is left on the car, the packing grease/lead ends up removed and you will most likely half to repack and re-grease.

If you use Evaporust, or Thermo cure, or Rust 911, soda flush and water pump removal not required. Opinions may vary on this. A borescope is handy to partially check out your results.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #8
24ruxstel1339

Using CLR and vinegar should do the trick !! Put it in and run it around for a few miles and get it hot.
Neutralize it as 30 CC says and flush the dickens out of it and try it.
You shouldn't need the radiator shop, the tubes are pretty big inside the core.
You might need a little stop leak afterwards. And I would re pack the pump seal.
24ruxstel1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:17 PM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24ruxstel1339 View Post
Using CLR and vinegar should do the trick !! Put it in and run it around for a few miles and get it hot.
Neutralize it as 30 CC says and flush the dickens out of it and try it.
You shouldn't need the radiator shop, the tubes are pretty big inside the core.
You might need a little stop leak afterwards. And I would re pack the pump seal.
I answered previously taking into consideration he already has the radiator off, needs to install a baffle, etc. Both methods will work.

Either way best to filter the Upper Radiator Hose so he does not clog the radiator again - Yes?

Its a slow day here, raining, mosquitoes on the attack, clouds of them, stuck inside. Rather be outside, Am getting feisty.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #10
24ruxstel1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
I answered previously taking into consideration he already has the radiator off, needs to install a baffle, etc. Both methods will work.

Either way best to filter the Upper Radiator Hose so he does not clog the radiator again - Yes?

Its a slow day here, raining, mosquitoes on the attack, clouds of them, stuck inside. Rather be outside, Am getting feisty.
Agreed, I forgot he said the radiator was off already.

It's hot and humid here...calling for 90s for the whole week.
24ruxstel1339 is offline   Reply With Quote