Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
'31 Patina

Default Door Glass Installation help

I have a '31 coupe and I'm struggling with installing the new door glass I just got. I've spent two hours trying to get it in and no luck. I've even managed to crack the corner of the glass already.

I've followed the Les Andrews book on what needs to be taken apart before putting the glass in. What it doesn't help me with is how you need to position the piece of glass to get in the door. I'm putting it in from the top but it's not that easy apparently. It just doesn't slide down into the door. You must have to angle it just right?

Does anybody have any suggestions? I can't imagine it should be this hard

Thanks.
'31 Patina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Door Glass Installation help

How far down can you get the glass?

I remove the regulator, then push the glass down, engage the arm from the regulator, then reinstall the regulator mounting screws. I've only done a few, but haven't had any problems other than getting the rusted screws out of the door top plate.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
CWPASADENA

I believe the coupe is the same as the Tudor. As stated before,with the side channels all in place, the top plate and regulator removed and the bottom channel attached to the glass, you just slide the glass down into the side channels from above. Have someone help you hold the glass part way up, fit the end of the regulator arm into the bottom channel and re-install the regulator.

You may have some other problem that we are not aware of as this should be a relative easy job. I have done it several times by myself.

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
'31 Patina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
I believe the coupe is the same as the Tudor. As stated before,with the side channels all in place, the top plate and regulator removed and the bottom channel attached to the glass, you just slide the glass down into the side channels from above. Have someone help you hold the glass part way up, fit the end of the regulator arm into the bottom channel and re-install the regulator.

You may have some other problem that we are not aware of as this should be a relative easy job. I have done it several times by myself.

Chris
I'm must be missing something very obvious here. I apologize in advance that I'm not understand something. I took a few pictures to help me explain what's making this so difficult. If there's something anybody sees that's not right please let me know. The top plate is gone and the side channels are all in place. But if I line up the glass to the inner part of the door the glass is wider than the open space to fit the glass into. If I try to put one side of the glass in the side channel then there's no way of getting the other side in the opposite channel. The glass would fit fine if I could get it into both side channels. If I try to insert the bottom of the glass into the top of the door it's impossible. The glass is wider than the opening. There's about half an inch of overhang on each side.

I took a picture of the glass lined up flush to the door. You'll have to look hard to see what I mean by the glass being wider than the window opening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02667.jpg (57.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02668.jpg (57.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02669.jpg (56.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02670.jpg (63.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02672.jpg (54.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02675.jpg (50.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02676.jpg (57.5 KB, 73 views)
Old 05-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
48Ratfink

No reason to apologize This is what the forum is for! Have You removed the very top of the door? the spot the window would roll all the way up to? three screws.Let Me know
48Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
48Ratfink

As long as You have the correct glass, We will get thru this!
48Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
'31 Patina

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Ratfink View Post
No reason to apologize This is what the forum is for! Have You removed the very top of the door? the spot the window would roll all the way up to? three screws.Let Me know
Thanks! I did miss the obvious. I just went back out to the garage to check and I found the three screws on the VERY top of the door. Now it makes sense and looks to be an easy job once I get the top off. I tried getting the three screws out but they won't budge. Any suggestions on getting those out?

Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
Pilotdave

Apply some of your favorite penetrating/rust dissolving stuff every few hours for a day or so. Should loosen up the screws...hopefully there is enough of the heads left for your screwdriver to get a bite. Good luck!
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I've had to use a torch to heat them up. Try to get the screws red hot, then let them cool. Try this a few times and if they don't come out then heat them red hot and dump cold water on the screws.

Try the heat only after trying the penetrating oil and an impact screwdriver with a good bit that is flat and square to the screw slot.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
Bob C

Did you get a window channel Kit? I don't see any in the door.

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
Bill in SoCal

Like the others said - Penetrating oil then heat. It was only six screws and took me two weeks. I cleaned the screws down to bear metal, and soaked them with penetrating oil. Worked each one every day by turning the screwdriver clockwise then counterclockwise for a few minutes. Finally, they all came out. These screws are special - notice how short they are. Do not use longer screws as replacements without cutting them to size (or buy them from a Model A supplier). The longer screws will extend to far, and when you crank the window up they can crack the class. Bill
Bill in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote