Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
'31 Patina

Default Proper Brake Rod Adjustment

Can someone direct me to the proper steps on adjusting the brake rods on a '31 coupe? I have the Les Andrews vol. 1 manual and I'm reading through the service adjustment section for brakes but I'm just not fulling understanding the brake rods.

The cross shaft actuating lever on the car isn't in a vertical position like the manual suggest. The actuating lever is at a slight angel when there isn't any pressure on the brake pedal but when you put full pressure on the pedal then the lever is in the vertical position like it should be.

I'm in the process of re-doing the brakes but before I start I want to fully understand how to adjust the brake rods properly.

Also when the brake rod is attached to the front brake actuating arm should the arm be straight up or at the 15 degree forward tilt? Or is the front brake actuating arm supposed to be at a 15 degree forward tilt when the rod is NOT attached to it.

I'm learning as I go and I'm following the manual but sometimes it helps to hear other verbiage so I can understand it better.

Thanks for the help!
'31 Patina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Proper Brake Rod Adjustment

The front brake levers should have forward tilt for mechanical advantage. the rods are adjusted so they only just take up the slop in the lever freeplay. If the rods do not take up freeplay and reside 15% forward you can take up the slack in the backingplate area. I don't have the Les Andrews book so don't know about what he calls for but I have brakes.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
Pa Joe

The way I read it, 15 degrees before the rod is attached. That note above says that angle will be corrected with a new operating pin. And my levers on the cross shaft are not perfectly vertical either. I'll be interested to read the replys you get because I'm not totally satisfied with my brakes after a total rebuild.
Pa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

You need to start inside the brake drum. Make sure the brake shoes are good. The roller tracks, the operating pin, etc. must all be in like new condition. The operating pin is often worn, so the lever won't be 15* forward. Once everything inside the drum is good, including the brake drum, then adjust the wedge so the brakes just have a very slight drag. Do all 4 wheels, then lightly pull the slack out of the linkage and adjust the brake rods so the pin just slips in.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 03-21-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
'31 Patina

Okay so my front brake rods are disconnected from the actuating arm and the arm has a 15 degree forward tilt. How far do I pull the arm back and reconnect the rod? The manual says to pull the arm back to take up free travel. What does "free travel" mean? Am I just taking the extra play out of it?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
J Franklin

Do the brake shoe to drum tightening before attaching the brake rod. the angle is set with the actuating rod or pills to take up slack. the fifteen degrees is ideal but not set in stone as all cars have some different wear and characteristics. the fifteen % are after the slop is taken up, turn the brake rod eye so the pin just slips in. you can lock the rod clevice eye a bit out of plane with the lever eye and take out rod rattle while you are at it.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
J Franklin

free travel is until you feel ANY spring tension
Old 03-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Use your little finger to lightly push the brake lever rearward (should be about 15* forward tilt) and at the same time use your other hand to very lightly pull the brake rod forward. This take out the FREEPLAY and now you can turn the clevis until the pin just slips in.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #9
'31 Patina

Thanks guys for clearing this up and helping me further understand what I need to do and how to do it.

How important is it that the cross shaft actuating lever is in the vertical position? I'm reading this in the Les Andrews manual. It's step #4 of the service brake adjustment.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by '31 Patina View Post
Thanks guys for clearing this up and helping me further understand what I need to do and how to do it.

How important is it that the cross shaft actuating lever is in the vertical position? I'm reading this in the Les Andrews manual. It's step #4 of the service brake adjustment.
You get the maximum leverage when the arms are vertical. How far from vertical are the arms?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #11
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by '31 Patina View Post
I would think he would include an instruction for adjusting the brake pedal to cross shaft rod as that is your starting point. The rear of the pedal to cross shaft rod should have a large 'button" on the end which will operate the stop light switch on '30-31 models. The length of this rod should be adjusted so when the pedal is UP against it's stop, the button at the rear will be 1/32"-1/16" from the inside rear wall of the cross member. This SHOULD place the end levers in the proper position.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #12
'31 Patina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
I would think he would include an instruction for adjusting the brake pedal to cross shaft rod as that is your starting point. The rear of the pedal to cross shaft rod should have a large 'button" on the end which will operate the stop light switch on '30-31 models. The length of this rod should be adjusted so when the pedal is UP against it's stop, the button at the rear will be 1/32"-1/16" from the inside rear wall of the cross member. This SHOULD place the end levers in the proper position.
The Les Andrews book doesn't tell how to adjust the brake pedal to cross shaft rod. After having the shoes relined, drums truned, shoes arched to drums, new rods and other brake parts I made the mistake of putting everything back together without starting with adjusting the brake pedal to the cross shaft.

I followed the Les Andrews instructions on how to adjust the brakes and when I went to use the board with notches cut in it (the tool used to put pressure on the pedal while you adjust the brakes accordingly) I found that my brake pedal was already half way forward but the cross shaft was in the vertical postion. So I assume I need to adjust the brake pedal to the cross shaft? How do you do this? Should I disconnect all the rods and start over?