Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-16-2020, 12:33 PM   #1
atch

Default reproduction 1931 two door sedan fenders

I've searched high and low for a thread on this, but came up empty. I'm guessing that there are numerous threads but I just am not good enough at searching. I apologize in advance for my shortcomings in this area.

Like a lot of restorations, I've come up with good running boards and splash aprons, but would like to find better fenders (all four) than what I've got for my 1931 two door sedan.

SO THE QUESTION: is there any such thing as reproduction fenders that actually fit without tweaking/fixing/modifying? If so who makes/sells them?

The information I've been able to find on-line is that you buy expensive new reproduction fenders and then spend hours and hours fiddling with them to get them to fit. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination wealthy, but I really suck at metalwork/bodywork. So I'm willing to pay up front for "the good stuff". It probably will be less expensive in the long run.
atch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: reproduction 1931 two door sedan fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by atch View Post
I've searched high and low for a thread on this, but came up empty. I'm guessing that there are numerous threads but I just am not good enough at searching. I apologize in advance for my shortcomings in this area.

Like a lot of restorations, I've come up with good running boards and splash aprons, but would like to find better fenders (all four) than what I've got for my 1931 two door sedan.

SO THE QUESTION: is there any such thing as reproduction fenders that actually fit without tweaking/fixing/modifying? If so who makes/sells them?

The information I've been able to find on-line is that you buy expensive new reproduction fenders and then spend hours and hours fiddling with them to get them to fit. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination wealthy, but I really suck at metalwork/bodywork. So I'm willing to pay up front for "the good stuff". It probably will be less expensive in the long run.

Mike, there are not any reproduction rear fenders presently being manufactured for your Tudor. As for the front fenders, there is only one manufacturer of those, and as you are well aware, Bob's dies have deteriorated. From experience I will tell you that a NOS front fender will generally sell in excess of $2k. Quality metal work takes time and is expensive too. Not an easy decision to make on which is the better way for you.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
JD-OHIO

http://www.gaslightauto.com/search_items.asp Gaslight has front fenders.
JD-OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-OHIO View Post

Do they fit without "tweaking/fixing/modifying" as the original poster asked?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #5
atch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-OHIO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Do they fit without "tweaking/fixing/modifying" as the original poster asked?
Exactly. I've found several vendors who sell them, but haven't ever heard of any that fit "right outta the box", which is the crux of my question.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:47 PM   #6
Stretch Cab

Not to highjack the thread but I have often wondered when I see this question, why doesn't a Model A specific shop like Brents's or some other, buy some of the new front fenders and tweak them to NOS standards and resale them? What am I missing with this business model?
Would the resale price be to expensive? Is there not enough demand?
Just my over active mind running I guess....
Old 03-17-2020, 02:02 AM   #7
ronn

labor rates Stretch- kills it from the go.

always better with a good set of old fenders. pay the price.

plenty of fenderless hot rods being built.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:52 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Cab View Post
Not to highjack the thread but I have often wondered when I see this question, why doesn't a Model A specific shop like Brent's or some other, buy some of the new front fenders and tweak them to NOS standards and resale them? What am I missing with this business model?

Would the resale price be to expensive? Is there not enough demand?
Just my over active mind running I guess....

That is a great question. The issue for us is we just do not have the time. We have nearly a 1 year backlog on full restoration work. That is why we have halted gas tank restoration work, simply because we really don't have time to meet the demand. I suspect other shops are in the same situation as us.

This would make a great cottage industry for someone retired who wants extra golf money. Is there a demand? I think so. Will they be expensive? They will probably cost in the 75%-80% range of what a NOS fender would cost, ...however finding those quality level of fenders is becoming extremely hard these day, -and the available supply is dwindling too. Being able to readily purchase a new front fender that has been pre-fitted to a new body (splash) apron is attractive to some who do not possess those skills.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-18-2020, 08:05 PM   #9
atch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
...to some who do not possess those skills.
This is me.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:20 AM   #10
rocket1

A number of years back a local collector passed away and his wife was selling off the parts.I bought some nos A sheetmetal to resell at Hershey at a reasonable price,went fast.What I'm getting at is if you have parts that you will probably never use put them out on the market someone probably needs them.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:38 PM   #11
l. bacon

I put new fenders on my 1929 pickup a year ago. I was pretty happy with the fit although there was some tweaking involved. The fender braces needed bent a little and the light bar holes needed drilled and fitted. Those were the to major issues. The rest was mainly reaming holes or drilling new ones to mount securley. I think any vehicle that is nearly a hundred years old has been bent tweaked welded and repaired to the point that even good old parts are not going to fit without some modification. no matter how you look at it, it is expensive to bring one back to like new condition.
l. bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by l. bacon View Post
I put new fenders on my 1929 pickup a year ago. I was pretty happy with the fit although there was some tweaking involved. The fender braces needed bent a little and the light bar holes needed drilled and fitted. Those were the to major issues. The rest was mainly reaming holes or drilling new ones to mount securley. I think any vehicle that is nearly a hundred years old has been bent tweaked welded and repaired to the point that even good old parts are not going to fit without some modification. no matter how you look at it, it is expensive to bring one back to like new condition.
Thank you for your input but just so everyone knows, there is Night and Day difference between Coupe/Roadster/PU rear fenders and Sedan/Phaeton rear fenders. The Albrecht made rear fenders for all years are very nice with only minor work needed.

Fortunately the dies for the 28/29 Front Fenders are in much better condition as compared to the 30/31 fender dies (-less 28/29 fenders have been stamped comparatively??). I wish that all the front dies were in better condition. It would likely make the restoration of many cars a lot easier.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #13
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
always better with a good set of old fenders. pay the price.
plenty of fenderless hot rods being built.

That's the route I'd go, seek out a street rodder that doesn't want the sheetmetal. Most seem to be after just the bodies and have no use for the running gear and other sheetmetal parts.

Although, I'm sure this source is drying up too as compared to 30 years ago.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:38 PM   #14
atch

Here's an update just for informational purposes.

A month or two ago I did indeed find someone who was building a hot rod from a complete older restoration '31 2-dr sedan. They only wanted the actual cab.

I bought:

all fenders
both splash aprons
both running boards
all braces for the above
hood
headlights & bar
both bumpers

None of this is N.O.S., but it's all pretty danged nice for being about 90 years old. No broken beads. No dents to speak of. There are a few very minor tweaks that I'll have to fix, but it's pretty close to "scuff-n-paint".

All with shiny black paint.

So the point of this response is that I gave $800 for this and it was 2 hours away.

I'm tickled. Some may say that the price was too high or too low, but I thought that we both got what we wanted. I got parts. He got money. We were both happy.

YMMV

Last edited by atch; 09-01-2020 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:05 PM   #15
jimalabam

The price of anything is the happiness of the buyer and seller !!!
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #16
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by atch View Post
Here's an update just for informational purposes.

A month or two ago I did indeed find someone who was building a hot rod from a complete older restoration '31 2-dr sedan. They only wanted the actual cab.

I bought:

all fenders
both splash aprons
both running boards
all braces for the above
hood
headlights & bar
both bumpers

None of this is N.O.S., but it's all pretty danged nice for being about 90 years old. No broken beads. No dents to speak of. There are a few very minor tweaks that I'll have to fix, but it's pretty close to "scuff-n-paint".

All with shiny black paint.

So the point of this response is that I gave $800 for this and it was 2 hours away.

I'm tickled. Some may say that the price was too high or too low, but I thought that we both got what we wanted. I got parts. He got money. We were both happy.

YMMV
You did a great deal!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:12 PM   #17
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimalabam View Post
The price of anything is the happiness of the buyer and seller !!!
or as a cranky old sales manager told me "it aint dog food till the dog eats it"
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote