Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2016, 07:40 PM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Cleaning Up the Oil Pan for Paint

After finding out how well oven cleaner worked on my block I used it on my oil pan. I sprayed the pan and dipper tray inside and out, then stuck them into a large garbage bag and twisted the end closed. I left them in for a couple weeks, then today I spray them again with a light coat of oven cleaner and brushed it around. I then rinsed them in hot water and dried them off. I then used my orange grit brush in my electric drill to finish cleaning the pan. The oven cleaner did most of the work.

Once I got a shine on the pan all the small bumps really stood out, so I used a hammer and punch to flatten them. For some reason one part of the pan had a lot of rust, and some pits that I'll have to sandblast. Normally you can find at least a few acid pits inside the pan, but this one was nice inside. There are two deep pits that I'll have to use my wire welder on. They don't go all the way through, but they are too deep for comfort.

There are two spots of brass on the inside corner of the lip where a broken rod hit the pan years ago, and someone brazed the small holes shut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil Pan 1.jpg (80.8 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Pan 2.jpg (43.7 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Pan 3.jpg (46.0 KB, 127 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:07 PM   #2
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Default Re: Cleaning Up the Oil Pan for Paint

that sure is nice and clean, Tom.
I always re-solder my drain hole bungs 'cause you never really know how good they are until it is too late. Unless this was already on a running car

careful on sandblasting....i hate to do it on a pan.......can you ever be sure you got all the grit out?
I'd use some OsPho (phosphoric acid) on a wire wheel chucked into a drill, that will force the OsPho into the pits and neutralize the rust. Do it, then wipe with a white rag and keep doing it until no more rust color shows on the rag.....
Old 08-26-2016, 10:35 PM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Heh Tom. Wouldn't a power washer have accomplished in 5 minutes what the oven cleaner took two weeks to do ? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:37 PM   #4
marc silva

Nice work Tom!
I like the drill motor! How old is that? Is that a 1/4 inch drill? I have one similar I like to use for cleaner wheels because of the high RPM so I don't have to fire up the compressor and anger the boss while I am working in the shop late at night after she has gone to bed!
marc silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:54 PM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc silva View Post
Nice work Tom!
I like the drill motor! How old is that? Is that a 1/4 inch drill? I have one similar I like to use for cleaner wheels because of the high RPM so I don't have to fire up the compressor and anger the boss while I am working in the shop late at night after she has gone to bed!
The boss, you have to be kidding, are we talking men or mice ! Wow. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:54 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Marc, my dad had the identical drill motor that he bought from Montgomery Wards, probably in the late 40's or early 50's. He had it for as long as I can remember, and my brother got it, so I bought this one at a swap meet a couple months ago for $3. Wards used to sell some quality tools, and even Penny's sold some good tools at one time.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:41 AM   #7
Dollar Bill

As Tbird mentioned, check the bung for leaks with gas. I failed to do this when I had my pan off to later find that it leaks ��.

Good looking job you did. Lye (oven cleaner) takes no prisoners!
Old 08-27-2016, 07:47 AM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar Bill View Post
As Tbird mentioned, check the bung for leaks with gas. I failed to do this when I had my pan off to later find that it leaks ��.

Good looking job you did. Lye (oven cleaner) takes no prisoners!
Chief & I once stripped my '34 Chev 5 Window with LYE, swabbed on with Old Brooms. It took multiple coats of OLD crackled paint, down to the metal. It also "renewed" the rubber weather strips & they looked "new". We neutralized it with SODA & water.
Mix the LYE & WATER in a METAL bucket, it gets REALLY HOT
Don't use it on the lawn area, it'll KILL it & your FUNERAL will be pending! !
Bill W.