Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
'31 Patina

Default Fuel Shut Off Valve

Installed a new (repo) fuel shut off valve on my '31 last spring (inside cab..not late '31 style). I'm making some new fuel lines from the sediment bowl to the carb and noticed that gas is still filling up the bowl even though the valve is shut off. I emptied the bowl on Sunday and this morning it was almost full again.

Do these reproduction valves not last long?
'31 Patina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Fuel Shut Off Valve

I've only used original valves lapped with toothpaste and had good luck.

Did you add the small filter screen to the valve? Every car should have one.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
'31 Patina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I've only used original valves lapped with toothpaste and had good luck.

Did you add the small filter screen to the valve? Every car should have one.
I used the small filter screen.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

hmm never had a problem with an aftermarket...
maybe you got a bad one.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
Purdy Swoft

All of the aftermarket shut off valves that I have ever used leaked or didn't completely shut off the fuel to the carburetor, after a while. I'm using a used original on my roadster and it does cut off the gas to the carbs but will have gas residue on the cut off handle if it sits over time.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

Hi 31,

FWIW: Just one (1) experience:

1. I had the same shut-off valve leaking experience here after (2) years, after:

a) Replacing an old leaking original shutoff valve with a new after market shutoff valve; &,

b) Witnessing hard particles of rust (ferric oxide), mixed with hard sand, (either already in my tank, or inherited from dirty gas station gas at my last refueling), creating uneven wear on the soft brass shutoff valve mating surfaces; &,

c) All coupled with having "no" gas tank screen, part no. A9195-T in my tank.

2. Hard steel rust & hard sand in a gas tank can mar any soft brass on either new or aftermarket shut off valves.

3. The recommendation for a gas tank screen (A 9195-T) in Snyder's catalog, (where they indicate their shutoff valves), is not just an ad to get customers to buy gas tank screens -- their honest & most sound caring advice comes from years of experience in trying their best to advise customers that rust & debris in fuel tanks is what causes leaking shut off valves -- in order to reassure this advice, please call Mr. Snyder, & ask him.

4. After unsuccessfully trying to lap an original 80 year old shut off valve a few years back, I called Master Model A Mechanic "Rainmaker Ron", (Mr. Ron Cloat, then owner of Standard Auto Parts), about his advice on lapping original shut off valves with different lapping materials.

5. His response was that he had collected about 40 original shut off valves over the years at swap meets. He later spent 3-4 days trying to lap old valves whereby he said he was successful with only 3 out of 40 when he submerged them under water & tested them under air pressure all of which was a lot of wasted time.

6. I quit lapping mine, forgot about the repair kit & ordered a new shutoff valve.

7. Many shutoff valves have minor leaks, the carburetor shut off valve leaks & the gas evaporates before it hits the floor in liquid form -- wives with sensitive noses that never smoked cigarettes can always smell it in a garage -- most men don't. LOL

8. I admire your high degree of intelligence & concern about careless fires caused by dripping gas in a garage -- remember it is your Model A, your garage, & your house to do what you want when you want.

Hope this one (1) experience helps.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
Willie Krash

I put a 1/4" Parker valve (Tee Handle) on my gas line, under the hood. When I garage the car I use both the inside valve and under the hood valve. It I'm out playing I will use just the inside valve depending on the drive, heat etc...
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
Muttley

I'm now having problems with a new valve that was installed last Summer. The valve worked perfectly and then last week started becoming very difficult to turn on/off. I tried spraying with WD-40 and PB Blaster but it didn't seem to help at all. Any suggestions short of removing it completely and rebuilding/replacing? Besides the simple fact that it's a PITA I'm worried that it may create a leak if it has to keep going in an coming out.
Muttley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
I'm now having problems with a new valve that was installed last Summer. The valve worked perfectly and then last week started becoming very difficult to turn on/off. I tried spraying with WD-40 and PB Blaster but it didn't seem to help at all. Any suggestions short of removing it completely and rebuilding/replacing? Besides the simple fact that it's a PITA I'm worried that it may create a leak if it has to keep going in an coming out.
sounds like you have debris particles in it.. are you using the standup filter also
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #10
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by '31 Patina View Post
I used the small filter screen.
Me too!! Interesting skin illustrations in your avitar.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #11
Muttley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
sounds like you have debris particles in it.. are you using the standup filter also?
Yes, the car has one of those.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Yes, the car has one of those.
Muttley,
Jist take yo' old valve to the Hardware Purveyor & they have a petcock type valve, that fits perfectly, for about $4.99 (CHEEP!)
Them old valves are about as sophisticated as an old barrel bung valve! (DRIP, DRIP, DRIP!) Why mess with UN-SUCCESS?
Bill W. & Dog
Old 07-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #13
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
All of the aftermarket shut off valves that I have ever used leaked or didn't completely shut off the fuel to the carburetor, after a while. I'm using a used original on my roadster and it does cut off the gas to the carbs but will have gas residue on the cut off handle if it sits over time.
If Purdy, Tom and HL say it, it's got to be true !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #14
Muttley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Muttley,
Jist take yo' old valve to the Hardware Purveyor & they have a petcock type valve, that fits perfectly, for about $4.99 (CHEEP!)
Them old valves are about as sophisticated as an old barrel bung valve! (DRIP, DRIP, DRIP!) Why mess with UN-SUCCESS?
Bill W. & Dog
The car had a hardware store special when Dad bought it two years ago and he hated it. It looked like the one below and how much to open it was anyone's guess. He wanted the 1/4 turn version not so much for originality but for ease of use. Look where that got him. Fixing stuff is one thing but fixing the same stuff over and over is getting tiresome.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #15
Willie Krash

This is what I use. They are very reliable. Now as I stated this is on the fuel line after the filter and before the Carb.

parker.jpg
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #16
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
If Purdy, Tom and HL say it, it's got to be true !
Wayne
Well, Two out of three aint bad !!..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #17
'31 Patina

Quote:
Same thing hapend with mine...it got very difficult to turn on and off. I have the small filter screen but particles/debris must be making it through and wreking the valve.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:09 AM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
The car had a hardware store special when Dad bought it two years ago and he hated it. It looked like the one below and how much to open it was anyone's guess. He wanted the 1/4 turn version not so much for originality but for ease of use. Look where that got him. Fixing stuff is one thing but fixing the same stuff over and over is getting tiresome.

Well, Minerva's petcock only had to be opened only 1 turn, that's only 4 quarter turns, GOD, was I tired by the time I got it turned on! (WHEW!) I saved enough cash by using the CHEEP valve, to buy Dog treats!
Well, I guess you can't have your CAKE & EAT it too. (Whutever thet means??) "Maybe" the Dog can translate it??
Bill W.