Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
Texas Tom

Default Rubber for metal track inside top of window frame?

I'm restoring a 1930 Briggs town sedan.

As seen in the photo, there's a metal track along the top of the window frame in the doors (where the top edge of the glass would be when the window is rolled up).

The other photo shows the edge of the rubber seal that comes with the window channel kits sold by vendors. This seal is to be glued to the top of window frame.

Since this rubber seal is not shaped to conform with and fit into the existing metal track, I presume the track must be removed before this rubber seal can be glued into place. Correct?

Does anyone know a source of rubber that's designed to install in the original metal track?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Window seal.jpg (25.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Window seal 2.jpg (42.4 KB, 17 views)
Texas Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: Rubber for metal track inside top of window frame?

I've never seen that configuration. The originals I've seen were more of a flat or nearly flat strap that had the rubber molded over making it one piece. The nice thing about that is the rubber stayed perfectly true over it's entire length instead of conforming to the irregular surface you will find when you remove the channel.

To answer you question, nobody makes a rubber strip you are looking for and the existing channel will need to be removed. I'm assuming it's secured with 4-5 tacks or nails. Please let us know just what was there when you remove it.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Texas Tom

I removed the metal tracks and will use the upper rubber seal that comes with the window channel kits.

The attached photo shows what came off the upper surface of the window openings. From the top down:
- Side of the track that faces downward
- Back side of track
- Material that was between track and wood frame of window
- One of 4-5 nails that secured the track to the wood

Interestingly, it appears that whatever material was originally in the track pushed through many of the holes in the track. From the back side of the track, the material's appearance resembles rubber.

The thin material between the track and the wood seems to be cardboard.

I'm surprised that Marco has never seen tracks like this. I'm quite certain that this car has never before been restored, so I assume these tracks were installed at the factory. Maybe not....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UPPER WINDOW SEAL (Medium).jpg (76.3 KB, 33 views)
Texas Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
SteveB31

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Tom,

I just looked at 40 Briggs and Murray doors, and none had those metal pieces in them, nor have I seen any in any of the Briggs and Murray cars I have taken apart. We currently are working on a one owner 1929 Briggs which still has its original interior and glass and only 43k miles and it does not have them either. My hunch is that they were added on years ago when that rubber seal went bad.

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote