Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
Tiny

Default Ignition Options

I'm looking at upgrading the ignition system on my car.
Here are the options I'm looking at, what are your thoughts, experiences, opinions, prejudices?

1. Leave it alone!! I currently have a stock distributor and coil with "modern points" and a Snyders "B" distributor cam. I know, I know, the points set up was free and it works.

2. Petronix 6v coil #40011 and a Bill Stipe distributor Cam. Keep the manual advance

3. Convert a stock distributer to an FS set up. Still manual advance

4. Buy a "B" distributor and perform one of the above options to it.

5. Bubba's ignition Mallory. I like the looks, I like points and it advances itself.

6. Buy and rebuild a vintage dual point Mallory

7. A modern Mallory Single points with a red cap

8. FS distributor. The benefits of electronic ignition and centrifugal advance in one package.

I plan to add a high compression head also at some point if that affects your opinion.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Tiny; 02-14-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: Ignition Options

I'd go with #2 (just 'cause that's what I did). I have the NuRex cintrifugal advance, but haven't put it in yet. My friend down the street has this same set-up with the NuRex unit in his 29 Tudor and loves it.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
Pete

There are several other options you didn't mention. Was that because of cost?
RotoFaze.
Jacobs.
MSD.
Accel.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
bill44

I have both FS ignitions. I had to have the Zipper modified to a lower advance, and it works well. I also have the manual advance and it also works well. I always carry a spare distributer incase the module goes bad. (it hasn't in 4 years) You must be sure to hit the starter as soon as you turn on the key so you don't burn out the module. So far this has not been a problem. I would not have any other.
bill44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
There are several other options you didn't mention. Was that because of cost?
RotoFaze.
Jacobs.
MSD.
Accel.
Yes cost is a factor. If it wasn't I would probably call Joe Hunt and have him build me one. I don't know Jacobs or RotoFaze. could you enlighten me?
Also looks is a factor. That's why the FS unit and the modern Mallory are at the bottom of the list
Old 02-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
RobertB

I thought I posted this reply, but it never showed up...

I've been into British cars for a while and have had excellent luck installing the MSD (CD) kit. It saves the points...they never burn out. It has incresed the driveability and accelleration in the 4 cars I have installed it on.

Wouldn't his work on a Model A? You's probably want to hide or disguise the bright red module.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill44 View Post
. I always carry a spare distributer incase the module goes bad. (it hasn't in 4 years) You must be sure to hit the starter as soon as you turn on the key so you don't burn out the module. So far this has not been a problem. .
This is what scares me about electronic ingition

Last edited by Tiny; 02-14-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
Kevin in NJ

What do you define as upgrade?

Do you want a car that runs 65 MPH, gets in the low 20's for MPG and is dependable for the next 4 or 5 decades with minimal maintenance?

That is what my brothers car has for a history. Stock head, used B cam, used points, burnout proof condenser, and a wire stolen from a dist on an engine out behind a garage (he was a 15 year old with no morals!). Other then the burn out proof condenser it is untouched from the day he rebuilt it.

Going to electronic stuff may make you immune from loose parts in the distributor giving you uneven dwell but it opens you up to voltage sensitivities. In other words, the electronic system will fix a worn distributor system or poor parts.
The downsides.. A marginal battery means a tow home. Poor connections are going to be a problem.

Paying attention to details and keeping original is your most reliable and robust system.

Going too high in compression you will need to push the ignition system harder and electronics help.

As far as better pep and power. Never experienced a switch to eletronics so I do not know. I do know my brother has had people complain he runs to fast and I had the same problem when driving my crappy looking 30 fordor. Keep in mind the people complaining were driving in cars newer then 1950.

Most of you guys baby your A's too much and think you need modern to move along. Rebuild em right back to factory and thrash the heck out of them for the next 50 years.
Remember the pedal on the right makes them go, do not be afraid to press it! Run em hard and put em away wet. They love that kind of abuse.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
Yes cost is a factor. If it wasn't I would probably call Joe Hunt and have him build me one. I don't know Jacobs or RotoFaze. could you enlighten me?
Also looks is a factor. That's why the FS unit and the modern Mallory are at the bottom of the list
On any of those names, your search engine will turn up their websites.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #10
Tiny

Kevin your funny!!!!!!!!
Not very helpful but funny
Old 02-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #11
modelacarman

Restore it to original.
modelacarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #12
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelacarman View Post
Restore it to original.
That's where I'm currently at. I forgot to mention that I did restore the one currently living in my car, but its a Model A it must be fiddled with and upgraded! Right?
Old 02-14-2014, 10:20 PM   #13
PC/SR

Well, no, it really does not have to fiddled with and upgraded, but lots of folks like to fiddle with it and upgrade it anyway, but that's a personal problem, not a mechanical problem. The stock ignition is adequate for what it does and will work fine with an HC head too, although you will learn to use the advance lever better. The HC head is less forgiving, but the stock ignition can handle it. I actually got to like using and learning the manual advance at different settings with an HC head. (Different story if you want to go for high performance stuff with cams, carbs, porting, etc. See Jim Brierely's book if you are going that route.)
FWIW, when I started fiddling and upgrading, and started down the performance road, I put in the electronic and auto advance FS ignition and it works fine. And I get to keep fiddling with and upgrading the advance curve. Sort of like using the advance lever, but more complicated to do and get right.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:23 PM   #14
Tiny

I am not looking for a top speed per se. What I am looking more is a little more umph. Ultimately I'd like too not totally dread hills. I wish I could build an all out banger motor but right now I would just a bit more seat of the pants feel. I think I'm leaning mostly at a B distributor, hot coil and Bill Stipe distributor cam with the extra dwell built in. I'm not unhappy with the stock setup I have. I rebuilt it myself and it performs well. I just what more. I can't help but think a rework of the ignition will be a good place to start.

Last edited by Tiny; 02-15-2014 at 01:59 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #15
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
I am not looking for a top speed per se. What I am looking more is a little more umph. . . I can't help but think a rework of the ignition will be a good place to start.
I think you're starting in the wrong place. The only seat-of-the-pants feeling a hot ignition system will give is a lighter wallet. With everything else stock, the biggest HP gain will be from a higher compression head. The Snyder 6.0 comp head will give you that uphill boost and run fine with a stock Kettering (points) ignition system. In the 60's even hot 400 HP V8's with 10:1 compression ran on points ignition systems with standard coils.

Unless you're looking to cross that magic 1 horsepower per cubic inch threshold or exceed 5000 rpm or trying to run an engine with a damp & wet ignition, some of the over-the-top systems mentioned achieve little more than bragging rights.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:43 AM   #16
larrys40

Well said Mike and Kevin!
Larry S.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:18 AM   #17
1932tub

Honda City electronic ignition 30 bucks at the wreckers

A few minutes in the lathe

Turned up a jack shaft and away we went

1932tub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:48 AM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with Mike and would install the Snyder's high compression head. Best bang for the buck.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #19
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Thank you Mike X2.

The one thing that always makes me wonder in circumstances like this is; ...is the original system truly under-performing? New correctly gapped spark plugs will tell a lot after a 5-mile drive. Rebuilding the distributor may not do a thing if the coil is weak or the polarity reversed. The same might be said if the timing is off, and/or if the carburetor is not performing correctly. If the camshaft is worn under specs, then naturally the entire engine will be down on power and again, switching to an aftermarket distributor will not do anything except make your wallet thinner IMHO.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #20
Kevin in NJ

Going through the mountains of PA in my brothers 31 coupe we were passing modern cars on the uphill side.

That was a stock engine with a used B cam.

I was very serious with my comments earlier. A worn out A a was thrashed daily by kids into the 60's. A properly rebuilt A can take quite a bit hard driving and live a very long life. They were not designed to be babied.

A thrown together out of balanced engine will never have the power that it should have.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #21
Rex_A_Lott

Does it misfire under load? Does it misfire at higher engine speeds?
Unless you are having problems, any "upgrade" is going to gain you very little, if any at all, increase in performance.
People here cuss the modern points, but they were actually sufficient back in the day for way more RPM than that stock A motor will turn.
What you have is probably not whats holding you back.
Good Luck!

Last edited by Rex_A_Lott; 02-15-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #22
Tiny

Ok guys lots of good points. Haha I Made a pun!! The engine doesn't miss fire. The carb is fine and the timing is spot on. There is nothing really wrong to solve. I was looking for your opinions/experiences of the ignition systems listed. I've gotten little response to that question. Although other questions I didn't have yet have now been answered. An HC head is on the short list and I know the head I want. I just need to find one. Ignition is another upgrade I was going to make. Maybe I should have posed the question different. I don't know. So far a few people have said they like stock and others have said they like FS. No one has really commented on the other options. A hotter spark and a more precise timing device will give better performance as well as quicker starts. I know from my V dub days that this is true. I know the stock setup is fine and maybe I shouldn't mess with it. Don't worry too much as my wallet hasn't opened yet
Old 02-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #23
John LaVoy

High compression head is probably the most bang for the buck. We have Zipper's on a couple of cars and the more modern appearing unit on another. We have bench tested the Nu Rex advance unit that is hidden in the valve chamber and in testing it worked very smoothly, but as of yet not installed it in a car. We have tested the Stipe distributor cam and they are really nice.

Good luck and hope to see you along the Model A touring highway soon.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #24
dnbenterprises

Check out this tool to set the points on model A's
They only do paypal on this site
Click: dbenterprises.co
dnbenterprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #25
john in illinois

X1 That tool does look useless. John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #26
Hicktick

Unless you have a weak coil or points with the wrong gap , then a spark is a spark .

Points were replaced by electronics because people will leave the switch on and it ruins the points .

Two problems with points , switch left on and dry cam wears block down .

I fixed many cars towed in with burnt points , drive in theater was a points killer .

I had a girlfriend that would switch on the radio if I left her in the car , she got mine many times .
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #27
jm29henry

Just remember you have to stop that pretty car .No matter how much zip you have you have to be able to STOP ! with an 80 year old breaking system??
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #28
aojo

I've seen Roto Faze dist in the V8 world and the say they make them for Model As but I have never seen one at any events. If their equipment is used in space programs it certainly should be reliable in our cars. I think their distributor is somewhere north of $500?
aojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #29
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by aojo View Post
I've seen Roto Faze dist in the V8 world and the say they make them for Model As but I have never seen one at any events. If their equipment is used in space programs it certainly should be reliable in our cars. I think their distributor is somewhere north of $500?
Here's a couple pics of one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Riverside engine.jpg (87.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg RotoFaze distributor.jpg (15.7 KB, 25 views)