Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
Rem

Default '32 Pickup gas tank breather

Hi, I have a '32 pickup with the stock under-seat gas tank. Obviously the filler cap is non-vented, so how does the tank vent?

There is a (brass) plate bolted into the underside of the tank with what were probably three outlets. A previous owner has crimped and blocked these off, so can someone tell me which one should be a breather pipe, and where it should go, please? The one with the threaded fitting is presumably for the gas gauge, but what about the other two?

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dsc_1878s.jpg (72.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Dsc_1880s.jpg (49.9 KB, 28 views)
Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: '32 Pickup gas tank breather

one of the others are for Fuel supple to the motor and the others the vent ,this should go above the fuel level to vent! like between the bed .?maybe

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
jerseyboy

Rem,

The first picture is the bottom of the fuel gauge tank unit. The threaded tube with the connector is for the air line to the gauge. The other two tube are vent tubes.

There should be another spot on the bottom of the tank for the fuel line. this is a picture of what the fuel line connection looks like (without the filter)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuelfilter2.JPG (56.4 KB, 46 views)
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:20 AM   #4
Rem

Thanks, yes, I have the separate supply to the motor - mine has a tap fitted to close off the supply if required. Can you tell from my second photo which is the actual vent line, and if there should be more pipe coming out of the plate?

I'm guessing it would be the straight piece that has been crimped off at top and bottom? Should I just uncrimp the top slightly to allow it to vent, and fit a short extension at the bottom, with a flexible hose out to the back of the bed? I have a motorcycle one-way vent valve that I could put in the line.

The looped pipework all appears to be associated with the gas gauge, but should that also be open to the atmosphere under the tank? I'm guessing that at some time a previous owner was getting some leakage in this area so decided the best thing to do was block everything off! It probably didn't cause the tank to pressurise because the gas cap seal was incomplete, but when I fitted a replacement (to keep fumes out of the cab!), expanding fuel/vapour was pushing gas through the pump.

BTW Jerseyboy, my truck came out of NJ this summer.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
jerseyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem View Post
Thanks, yes, I have the separate supply to the motor - mine has a tap fitted to close off the supply if required. Can you tell from my second photo which is the actual vent line, and if there should be more pipe coming out of the plate?

There are two vent tubes, the two without threads. They both should be open. They do not need to be extended to work, but they do need to be open (unplugged or not crimped)

I'm guessing it would be the straight piece that has been crimped off at top and bottom? Should I just uncrimp the top slightly to allow it to vent, and fit a short extension at the bottom, with a flexible hose out to the back of the bed? I have a motorcycle one-way vent valve that I could put in the line.

I would uncrimp the straight piece. You do not need an extension tube.

The looped pipework all appears to be associated with the gas gauge, but should that also be open to the atmosphere under the tank? I'm guessing that at some time a previous owner was getting some leakage in this area so decided the best thing to do was block everything off! It probably didn't cause the tank to pressurise because the gas cap seal was incomplete, but when I fitted a replacement (to keep fumes out of the cab!), expanding fuel/vapour was pushing gas through the pump.

You might want to make sure all the lines and tubes are clear of obstructions.

The reprinted Ford Service Instructions for V-8 and 4 cylinder of 1932, has a section on the fuel gauge and tank unit.

BTW Jerseyboy, my truck came out of NJ this summer.
Where in Jersey?

Keep V-8ing and 4banging!
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another

Old 09-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
Rem

Thanks for that, excellent. I found the piece in the Service Bulletins, and can see from the picture that the two outlets should both be open, slash-cut ends. I almost understand how the gauge is supposed to work!

The pickup came from Rockaway, via an aquaintance in Morris Plains.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1496s.jpg (83.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Anyone with an advanced degree in Parapsychology can easily explain the '32 gauge to you.
Note that the actual fuel outlet on the pickup tank takes a big shutoff valve very similar to the one used on Model A's. In fact, I just looked, and the early type Model A valve had its number changed to a BB prefix in 1932, so I think the '29-30 type with internal threads for packing nut may be entirely identical.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
jerseyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem View Post
Thanks for that, excellent. I found the piece in the Service Bulletins, and can see from the picture that the two outlets should both be open, slash-cut ends. I almost understand how the gauge is supposed to work!

The pickup came from Rockaway, via an aquaintance in Morris Plains.
Rem,
Nice looking pickup!

Keep V-8ing and 4banging!
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another