Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
Hotrodvideo

Default '32 Hood question

I'm putting a real '32 hood onto a '32 Brookville body and the contour of the hood and cowl doesn't match at the top.

Has anyone seen this problem before or is the Brookville body different than a real '32 body in that area?

The hood hasn't been on a car in 40 years so it might have lost some of it's shape?? Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hood1.jpg (35.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Hood2.jpg (42.4 KB, 55 views)
Hotrodvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Hotrodvideo

Default Re: '32 Hood question

and YES the welting is on the firewall and the grille shell and the hood is latched down on all 4 corners!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
Steve/IL

Does the revel of the hood tops line up with the belt line of the cowl when the hood is latched? Even the original style rigid cowl lacing can become too flat with age allowing the curve of the hood tops to flatten out. If the lacing is too thin at the curve of the firewall, the latches could exert too much force on the hood. I've done a lot of 32s and still haven't found reproduction grille and cowl lacing that works as good as the original stuff. The repro fiber type lacing is usually too thick and the rubber type is too soft to maintain the proper curve of the hood tops to the cowl and alignment of the hood revel to the belt line.

Could someone recommend repro lacing of any type material that works as intended?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
Hotrodvideo

I have some original lacing that was on the grille shell and it looks exactly like the new stuff. The reveal does line up with the belt line.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
DavidG

The original hard-core lacing used to be available from A&L, but their sources dried up (there are some environmental issues associated with its manufacture) and despite being willing to invest a substantial sum to obtain a supply source, Al Lepore could find no takers. The soft-core material available from the various sellers in the hobby will collapse over time from the weight of the hood combined with the downward pressure exerted by the hood latches. Sorry to be unable to offer a positive solution.

I understand that the belt and bottom mouldings on an original hood or on a off-the-shelf Rootleib hood will not line up with their counterpart mouldings on a Brookville roadster body.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
BoxCar Tom

I had the exact same issue on my 32 Ford roadster. The problem was not the body or the hood; it was the hood lace channel on the firewall. I fixed it by pushing (jacking) the channel up until I was satisfied with the hood/body alignment. In order to push the channel up I had to construct 4X4 wooden bridge above the engine so that I could exert pressure on the underside of the channel. Be careful make sure you only push on the front channel. If you lift the entire firewall you could distort the door alignment.
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
earlyv8

Did you use Brookville's firewall? If so, my experience with the original cast aluminum and subsequent flat steel firewall did not elevate the lace channel at the right height. Compare an original firewall and you can see the difference.

Unless Brookville has changed that part of their firewall, I can't see how it can be modified enough.

In my case, I was using an original unmodified 5 window body and the flat Brookville firewall did not fit the cowl on the upper corners either. I finally modified an original firewall.

Best of luck.
earlyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote