Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #1
patrickt

Default Some question/concerns Water pump pulley/fan hub

Hello All !
I posted sometime last year about trying to I.D. weather we had an A with a T body, or vice versa. Anyway, it strongly pointed to an A with a T body. Also, the engine is already with a mechanic who is somewhat familiar with vintage vehicles, so only the Bell housing and Radiator are left in the engine bay.

I just mentioned that to give you a perspective on why certain things may or may not fit properly in the engine compartment. In my case, based on pics i`ve seen of of the original water pump Pulley (as well as some stuff i read on Ford Barn) , the original water pump pulley not working with my A engine compartment, maybe i have a wrong sized water pump too( ?) The 2 bladed fan for 28-31 is integral with all the water pump Pulley-Hubs, right ?

My 4 bladed fan on the other hand can be unbolted from the water pump Pulley. Also, it seems that the distance between the Pulley and the Hub was intentionally modified to be longer on my car to clear the engine. The pic with a ruler show the measurement of the side of the pulley facing the side of the hub (facing the pulley) to be about 1.5" distance (somewhat hard to tell because of the angle the pic was taken). The grotesquely welded portion doesnt seem to be very strong anymore...

I checked out pics of the later water pump pulley-hubs, and like the ones of the A, appear to be too short. Does anyone know of waterpump pulley-hubs that will fit the A water pump shaft properly and yet have the pulley to hub distance measurement i gave, or at least close to it (preferably on the longer side of the measurement).

Given that our A might be wearing a T body, or just plainly not an A body, its of course possible that the radiator is now farther away from the engine, thus necessitating a longer waterpump pulley fan hub measurement (?)

This brings me to request if anybody could please take maybe several measurements from several points from the forward portion of the bell housing, or maybe from some specified point on the firewall until several points on the radiator ? It would be really appreciated. Thank You,
Patrick
p.s. i will see if i still remember how to post pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water pump Pulley 1.jpg (26.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Water pump Pulley 2.jpg (22.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Water pump Pulley 3.jpg (28.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Water pump and hub distance.jpg (15.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Water pump Pulley and Fan.jpg (17.2 KB, 37 views)
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote