Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2016, 09:57 PM   #1
coupe1942

Default Question on removal of ignition trim ring on instrument panel

I had my instrument panel off recently and was trying to clean it up. I used a vinegar and water solution and let it sit in the hot Ok. sun in a bucket for a couple of days. Unfortunately, it didn't really clean up anywhere near as well as I had hoped for. There is still some rust in the back areas and the face plate is pretty yellowed and discolored. I'll likely keep it, but replace it with a repop unit in the near future or perhaps powder coat it for better appearance sake.

Any rate, I have a question on the right way to remove that ring for the ignition switch in the instrument panel on the back side. I wasn't for sure how to remove it and I didn't want to ruin it in trying to bend it. Everything else seems to have small tabs, but the black face on this instrument panel at the front is bubbly and rusty so I need to remove it and paint it or replace it. That round ring in the back was what I didn't want to bugger up in trying to get it off. Does it simply pry out with a flat blade screwdriver or is there more to it than that, such as it being pressed in or such? What is the trick to removal with no damage?

Replating probably costs more than a repop unit does. It is not so much that everything on my truck needs to be stock, but I just happen to like keeping it as close as I can in most areas.

Here are some photos. I have to replace the ammeter anyway, due to burnt wires and such.

Thanks for any info and tips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 423.jpg (115.5 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 426.jpg (111.7 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 427.jpg (123.6 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by coupe1942; 07-18-2016 at 05:27 PM.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #2
coupe1942

Default Re: Question on removal of ignition switch ring on instrument panel

Corrections made to above post header.

I meant to be addressing the round chrome plate to the ignition switch hole in the dash instrument panel and not the ammeter plate. Sorry for the mistake above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 277.jpg (78.3 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by coupe1942; 07-18-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:33 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Question on removal of ammeter ring on instrument panel

That part should have 4 small tabs that can be bent easily.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:40 PM   #4
coupe1942

Yes, I found them just a bit ago and got the round chrome piece and black piece off. My question now is how to remove the housing to the back that has the split ring showing? Maybe the split is actually a broken piece of metal, but it looks like a split ring instead of a pressed in part. Hard to describe, but it is shown in photo one on first post.

Is there a better way to clean up this instrument panel than using a vinegar bath? Will it buff out better than this method?

Thanks.

Last edited by coupe1942; 07-18-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:51 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
I'll likely keep it, but replace it with a repop unit in the near future..
Keep in mind that the bottom two screws will most likely not fit to screw it into the tank with the repro.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:20 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

I sandblasted the plating off my 28 and 29 instrument panels, then sanded the. It was a lot of work and took a long time, then cost me $75 to get them plated 15 years ago.

30-1 panels would be worse to restore because of all the grooves.

That split ring on the rear can't be removed, as it's crimped to the panel.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:07 AM   #7
coupe1942

Thanks for the info. I have not checked into any plating shops locally, yet.

I thought about simply powder coating it, but I have learned to not trust powder coaters all that much as I have had some parts ruined in the past by someone who didn't know how to do things correctly. I am not so sure I want to purchase a unit at Harbor Freight or not at this time. That actually may be the best route to go on this piece though, as the truck is a daily driver and not a true restoration project.

Yeah, that part looked crimped on. I think I have some aircraft rust remover and I may shoot that onto the back to remove the rust there. I no longer have my sandblast unit and my wife loves that fact, for sure. :-)

Last edited by coupe1942; 07-18-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:44 AM   #8
Bob C

You might check the swap section for a restored instrument panel.
Don Turley has some nice restored brass ones occasionally.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129705

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #9
coupe1942

On mine, it allows a magnet to stick, no matter where it is placed upon it.

Last edited by coupe1942; 07-18-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:47 PM   #10
coupe1942

I wish I had not goofed up the title in this thread. I don't see how to edit it, so perhaps a moderator can. It is about the instrument panel and the ignition switch on that panel and not the ammeter area. Leaving it as is would make a search difficult, I believe. Hopefully my error in the header can be corrected.

Last edited by coupe1942; 07-18-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #11
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
I wish I had not goofed up the title in this thread. I don't see how to edit it, so perhaps a moderator can. It is about the instrument panel and the ignition switch on that panel and not the ammeter area. Leaving it as is would make a search difficult, I believe. Hopefully my error in the header can be corrected.
You can edit the title::

Go to edit then go advanced.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:38 PM   #12
coupe1942

Default Re: Question on removal of ignition trim ring on instrument panel

Thanks for the insight as to how to correct it. I went to the advanced and edited it on all of my posts. I hope that straightens it all out. :-)

I am always intrigued by things such as owning my own pc unit as the one from HF. However, I am working hard to set up my garage and I am just not so sure there is any available space for an electric oven out there. The garage is in a mess right now, as I am trying to put things onto a table and sort them out before putting them away into organized shelf spaces or cabinets. It is a challenge and may not look like much is happening to make a dent in things, but slowly it is getting done. If I could just find a place for the oven, I may well go that route after all and pc the instrument panel.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:15 PM   #13
Sunnybrook Farm

There was an episode of Counting Cars where they experimented with a spray on chrome, like it was paint. There may be someone around who has one of those units. It might work good if you can get the metal prepped smooth.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:47 PM   #14
phonconn

Your instrument panel is most probably a Scoval(spelling may not be correct) steel panel and will have to be renickel plated to look good. It can be replated to original for around $125 and from looking at it I think it will be a good candidate for a plating and a super nice finish as I see no match strikes on it. The vinegar is a good way to strip the nickel but it will take a long time as the vinegar you buy is about 2-4% ascetic acid. We use pure acetic acid to strip and it takes a few hours and a nice brush afterwards to clean things up.
I would caution if you don't know what you are doing to not force anything and it would be ashame to ruin a nice 30 instrument panel by doing anything but replating it and the Model A would stand tall once it was installed, but that is my take on it.
I have been plating ampmeter bezels, ignition bezels and instrument panels for many years and have had great success with good instrument panels coming out great.
The other posts were right as once the ignition bezel and plate are removed you are done with the disassembly.
Good luck with your project.
Dan Bixby
phonconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:27 PM   #15
coupe1942

There is a local plating shop in town and I hope to get by there soon to see what it would cost to re-plate it vs anything else being done. I have a couple of different issues on this pickup, so I have to prioritize them as to what to redo first and which project can wait.

Wed. is my payday and I have a speedometer to be sent off for a rebuild before I can get back to the instrument panel. My replacement of burned wiring is also higher up on the list of things to get the most attention, first.

A new nickle plated instrument panel would go well though, so I'll see what the cost runs locally at least and go from there.

Thanks for the info and ideas to ponder.