Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
streetdreams

Location: Howell, Michigan, USA, The Peoples Slightly Overspent Demodependancy of Michigan
Default Ford 391 FT truck engine

Guys, I've got a good core of the above engine. I know the block is great for performance applications, along with the rods and forged crank, which has to be machined front and rear for pass car usage. The heads, intake, front drive, timing cover and distributor are junk as far as I know. Which leads me to my question:
Are the rocker shafts or pedestals any stronger and useful for FE performance?
Are the flywheel and pressure plate useful in performance FE applications ? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by streetdreams; 02-25-2013 at 07:38 PM.
streetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
LOWRIDER

Default Re: Ford 391 FT truck engine

From what I can remember the lifters, push rods & rocker assys. were the same as the car FE's. The 391's I remember had 13in. clutches & 4 finger pressure plates w/flywheels to match. All big truck stuff.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
darrell

i hope it serves you well as a car engine.they were an awful truck engine.i drove them years ago and you changed motors as often as tires.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
streetdreams

Location: Howell, Michigan, USA, The Peoples Slightly Overspent Demodependancy of Michigan

Dan, yeah, that's whats hanging on the back. I think I'm going to keep the block, crank, rods and a few other parts, and send the majority to Michels.
streetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
raceron1120

We used to sell a bunch of those 361s & 391s when I worked at the Milford Ford dealer. We had 2 big school bus fleets that ran them. Would get 6 at a time sometimes. But we rarely sold internals for them.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
craig

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have rebuilt many of the FET series engines, and I can tell you from experience that the oem forged cranks are famous for breaking in the 4th crank pin. If you do use this crank, be sure to have the rotating assembly balanced with your car flywheel. The truck flywheel is counter weighted and the cars are not. The con rods are the same as the C6AE... car rods. The blocks are cast from the same higher nickel content as the '72 and later 360-390 light duty engines. Just remember you will have install a bushing in the block for the smaller distributor shaft of a light duty engine. As previously mentioned, the rocker assemblies are the same as a light duty
craig is offline   Reply With Quote