Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-16-2022, 02:12 PM   #1
Feathercraft56

Default Horn button/light switch

Hello to all. I have a 1934 Fordor Deluxe and I'm till having issue with the headlights flickering and or turning off when brake is applied. They stop flickering and or come back on when you let off the brake. The brake pedal is not touching or rubbing anything but working the brake switch like it should. Also changed out brake light switch and no luck. Even wired around brake light switch and no luck.
Changed "all" of the bulbs and sockets and no luck.
Only thing left I can think of is the horn button/light switch rod. Could this cause the problem. If so can you remove without getting a chop saw and cutting the top half of the car off LOL...
Thank you for any help of advise.
Feathercraft56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:22 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: Horn button/light switch

The horn button just grounds the horn via the rod contact with steering shaft. Only two things are hot all the time, horn, and brake light switch. When the headlights act up is the brake light still working? No answer here, just some food for thought. A friend recently had intermittent light problems and found the C clip had fallen off and was shorting in the light switch. good luck
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:44 PM   #3
Feathercraft56

Thanks for your reply. The brake lights work fine all the time. Just the headlights are a problem when brake is applied. Where is the C clip located? I’ve also had an issue with my lights being turned off when I turn the steering wheel to the right. The steering wheel moves the light switch to the off position. Would the C clip cause that. Do you know how to remove horn/light rod?
Feathercraft56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:15 PM   #4
cas3

If the lever on the steering wheel moves when you turn the wheel its because the rod is bent, and dragging inside the steering shaft. They must be straight. To remove one from a closed car, one should ideally drop the steering box down from the frame to get enough room to pull the rod straight out the top. An open car of coarse would not be a problem, but on a closed car some folks think they can cheat and bend it a bit to get it out, which really does not usually work out so good. The C clip is on the very end of the rod, it holds the fork on, check the recent thread about a 34 light switch. I wonder if your headlights, or brake lights, either one, could have a bad ground causing the circuit to ground thru the other? some electric wizards can take it from here
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote