Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2021, 02:46 PM   #1
o2bnkc

Default running rough

Hey guys, I just got a 40 Deluxe Convertible a couple of weeks ago and I need some advice. It's got the original flathead and Holley carb. When I bought it I replaced the battery and inline fuel filter. It was running great until yesterday. Coming back from a short trip it started cutting out and surging like it was starving for fuel. Today I replaced the fuel filter again, but I still have the same problem when I get up to speed. The fuel bowl is full. It starts fine and idles fine, but cuts out when I'm around 25-35 mph. I ordered a rebuild kit, but I'm thinking that may not be the problem. I welcome all suggestions. This is my first flathead. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:09 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: running rough

If you have a glass bowl fuel pump, check the cork gasket to make sure it is tight and check for cracks in the gasket.
If it is sucking air, the symptoms will be similar.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
o2bnkc

Thanks. I will check it out.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:46 PM   #4
tubman

Also, remember that the coils and condensers on these cars are very susceptible to heat.

Remember the old saying : "90% of carburetor problems are caused by the ignition system and 90% of ignition problems are caused by the fuel system.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:23 PM   #5
o2bnkc

I have an update on my cutting out and surging problem. My distributor has an adapter plate and a remote coil. I replaced the remote coil and condenser. It still wouldn't start. I then replaced the plugs, which were all sooty and black. It then fired up and idled nicely. I took it out for a spin, but about 15 minutes later it started cutting out and would die. I would start it up again and the same thing would happen. I finally had my friend tow me home. When I finally got it started again, I had to keep the choke fully pulled out to keep it running. I usually don't even need the choke to start it. This morning I pulled one of the plugs to see if I was getting a good spark (It was) and the plug was awful black and sooty for just going a couple of miles. I bought the car in Los Angeles, but I live at 5500 ft. Carb?

Last edited by o2bnkc; 04-05-2021 at 01:09 PM.
o2bnkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:24 PM   #6
o2bnkc

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
If you have a glass bowl fuel pump, check the cork gasket to make sure it is tight and check for cracks in the gasket.
If it is sucking air, the symptoms will be similar.
Seems to be ok.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:36 PM   #7
Ggmac

Check if another fuel filter . If not remove the line from the fuel pump and take compressed air to the line (15 to 30 lbs ) with the gas cap removed , you should hear bubbles, if you only hear air it could be low on gas . Have you checked it running without the gas cap ? A non vented cap could play havoc.
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:11 PM   #8
o2bnkc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggmac View Post
Check if another fuel filter . If not remove the line from the fuel pump and take compressed air to the line (15 to 30 lbs ) with the gas cap removed , you should hear bubbles, if you only hear air it could be low on gas . Have you checked it running without the gas cap ? A non vented cap could play havoc.
I took the inline filter out when I made this last aborted trip. It has a full tank. I haven't tried without the fuel cap.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:48 PM   #9
drolston

Symptoms are confusing.
- If the car ran right near sea level and you take it to 5500 feet it is going to run too rich and need jet size reduced about two sizes. That could get you sooty plugs. If the plugs get too fouled the engine could die. Makes sense so far.
- But the part about having to pull the choke out to keep running contradicts that diagnosis. Sounds more like fuel starvation.

Couple of things to try:
- Do a cold crank in the morning. Disconnect the fuel line from the carb; put a cup under it to catch some of the gas. With the ignition OFF, crank the engine; it should spurt pretty strong, about a tablespoon of gas with each stroke of the pump. If weak, rebuild the pump, or install an electric fuel pump back near the gas tank.
- If that looks okay, drive it until it dies and repeat the test. Even if it seems to be pumping okay, pull the top off of the carb and pretty sure you will find the fuel bowl quite low. So why would the pump work when cold but not when hot.
- Vapor lock. I big problem with early Fords, even at sea level, because of the high volatility of the alcohol in modern gas. At 5,500 ft altitude you are probably going to need that electric fuel pump. You can keep the mechanical pump. If you get the right electric pump it will push fuel and vapor right through the mechanical pump, and not block flow from the mechanical pump if the electric pump is off.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote