Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
Daves55Sedan

Default Y-block fuel filter

Currently, I have one of those cheap plastic see-thru inline fuel filters you get at any chain automotive supply. There's 1/4 inch of sediment in the bottom of the fuel bowl in my carb, but no visible sediment in the bottom of the filter. Apparently those filters aren't much good.

I wanna get either a fuel pump with the integral glass bowl filter on the bottom or an outboard inline glass bowl filter like the Thunderbirds used to have back then. Either one of those should provide a better indication of excessive sediment before it gets the chance to clog up my carb.

Anybody know who sells either of those types of arrangements?
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
junkyardjeff

Default Re: Y-block fuel filter

You might want to look at the 60s y blocks as there are a filter that mounts in the area of the road draft tube,the 62 292 I picked up for my 55 has some kind of filter in that area and will probably need some modification to the bracket if a road draft tube is used.
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
Y-Blockhead

I get "stuff" from my tank also that was plugging the smaller filters so I added this "pre-filter" that does a really good job and is much larger. Replacement filters are ~$5.00.

I mounted it down low on the side of the radiator support ~4" above the frame (so I can get the filter apart when needed.

Street Rod Fuel Filter

I still run a glass bowl filter up by the carbs so I can see if I am getting any stuff thru. So far so good.

Just my 1¢ worth...

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 02-21-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
paul2748

I use a 360 ci FE filter (interchangible with a YBlock) out of a Truck. It has the bottom mounted canister filter. 67-69 Pickups
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
Ole Don

Any fuel pump from an FE motor will fit a Y block. I have a pump meant for a 427 FE. It has 3/8 inlet and outlet, and a canister filter on the pump on the bottom. Plenty of room on the 55 to install with no trouble.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Post Re: Y-block fuel filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post

Currently, I have one of those cheap plastic see-thru inline fuel filters you get at any chain automotive supply. There's 1/4 inch of sediment in the bottom of the fuel bowl in my carb, but no visible sediment in the bottom of the filter. Apparently those filters aren't much good.

I wanna get either a fuel pump with the integral glass bowl filter on the bottom or an outboard inline glass bowl filter like the Thunderbirds used to have back then. Either one of those should provide a better indication of excessive sediment before it gets the chance to clog up my carb.

Anybody know who sells either of those types of arrangements?
Try Here-

http://www.tee-bird.com/catalog_prod...d.cfm?id=12755

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
Daves55Sedan

Thank for all your suggestions guys. I opted for the T-Bird fuel filter from Tee Bird Products. Ordered over the phone. They answered all my questions and are very helpful. That filter was exactly what I was looking for. It will be the fastest and easiest installation of all the options and it will allow me to readily see if sediment is piling up in the bottom of the glass bowl just by opening the hood and peeking in.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
GREENBIRD56

This is an AC GF62 - with pipe threads in/out. Uses the same adapter fittings and is the same width as the T-bird AC filter (which I have stored away for now). Uses the same little standoff bracket that came with the 'bird set-up. Flat bar bracket is just left of the filter. You can improve the looks of the canister with a "FOMOCO" decal that several outifts carry.

Drilled out one of the upper mounting screw holes and tapped for a presure guage.
GREENBIRD56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
tdlmomowers

Did your Y Block originally use a vacuum operated heater valve? What controls the valve? Were the heater controls made to operate the valve? Just wondering, I didn't know they used vacuum operated valves that long ago.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
Daves55Sedan

GreenBird, that AC filter you are using would have been a viable option. Had I known that I could get one of those at any of the chain auto parts suppliers, that's what I would have done. Only problem with it is, you need to unscrew the canister to check the amount of sediment. The original T-bird filter has a glass bowl so you can see the condition of the gas without removing anything. Anyway, I already ordered and just recvd the T-bird filter. Next big problem is going to be re-doing the fuel lines to get the T-bird filter installed. I have spring steel stock from which I can make my own bracket exactly like the one you have.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
KULTULZ

Question Re: Y-block fuel filter

Will the attached photos help?

Both are dedicated restore 57 BIRD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1957 BIRD- Correct Engine Dress_1.jpg (87.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 1957 BIRD- Correct Engine Dress_2.jpg (81.2 KB, 21 views)

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
GREENBIRD56

Dave - Little T-bird AC filter didn't have a (big) replaceable element like I wanted for a street driver kind of car. The glass bubble versions have a neat period look but I don't like the original "stone" filter elements. So it went into storage for the "next owner" with a lot of other stuff.....

Did you order up the two adapter fittings for the filter, that allow fitting the 5/16 double-flared fuel lines? If you happen to be running the proper fuel pump that matches - the neat factory inlet pressure line on the picture Kultulz posted is available prefitted. The lower one on my bird was original (also stored away now) and the outlet fitting was a tiny 1/8 pipe thread 90 degree adapter elbow with such a small passageway I could barely blow through it.
GREENBIRD56 is offline   Reply With Quote