Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Mercury Bearing Number Part ID

I found a couple of small bearings in Mercury packaging. So far by going through the books I have I can not ID them. Part number on the packages is AJ-33770-A. Does anyone have a book that has this part number listed somewhere? I am curious as to what year these fit and where on the car they are used. Thanks Rod
Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: Mercury Bearing Number Part ID

I was told the AJ stands for 56-57 Mercury or Lincoln and it seems to be for something towards the trunk area, retractable top or Continental spare tire possibly. Any more info would be appriciated. Thanks Rod
Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 AM   #3
JeffB2

Just for fun I tried Google it took me here:http://www.lincolnoldparts.com/searchresults.php looks like a long list to look through.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Rowdy
BANNED

Thanks Jeff, I think I will be crosseyed the rest of the day. I spent 25 minutes looking at the list and did not find the number. going to get some construction paper to put over the parts of the monitor other than the parts number. I did not find any AJ prefixed yet, but did see some BAJ prefixes and the closest main body number I seen was 33667 which was for the horn button. I will spend more time at this later today. Rod
Old 02-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
raceron1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Thanks Jeff, I think I will be crosseyed the rest of the day. I spent 25 minutes looking at the list and did not find the number. going to get some construction paper to put over the parts of the monitor other than the parts number. I did not find any AJ prefixed yet, but did see some BAJ prefixes and the closest main body number I seen was 33667 which was for the horn button. I will spend more time at this later today. Rod

Rod, it's not a body number; if so it is incomplete and I don't know of any item that Ford ever printed partial Part #s on their boxes or packages. (QUESTION - Is it a for-sure genuine F-L-M package?) ie. - if it were a body base number, the part number would incorporate the body style for which the part was originally developed.

Example: if it was for a 2door hardtop, body style 65, the Part # might be AJ-6533770-A. If a convertible body 76, it would b AJ-7633770-A. As I think I mentioned earlier it is very likely a steering related item. Chassis numbers - those below 19999 - do not use the body #prefix.

Body #s start a 0xxxx, which is generally cowl or front vent related. But some exceptions and 33770 is very likely one of them. fun stuff, eh?

I sold Ford parts for years and wouldn't begin to think I knew it all back then - or that I do now. It used to be like a second language back when we didn't have computers.

Base # in the book is probably listed as 3-3770 (in the steering section) but I don't have a 50s Mercury parts book to verify it.

re: that parts list? You might try copying and merging it into an Excel spreadsheet, then you can sort it by prefix to make looking for that number a bit easier. Hope this helps. Ron

Last edited by raceron1120; 02-15-2013 at 04:23 PM.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
LOWRIDER

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I knew Ron would shed some light on this.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Rowdy
BANNED

Thanks for the insite Ron. Definately F-L-M envelopes they are in. Pic's later today or some time tommorrow. More fun with some of these numbers than I thought possible, but squeezing every dime out of my investment that I can (so far it is proving to be well worth the money and time spent). Still have several thousand parts to spend time at. Initial sort is done, but lots of book time and computer time left to go. Thanks Rod
Old 02-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Post Re: Mercury Bearing Number Part ID

AJ 33770-A

Basic PN 33770 is a Chassis PN, the 2nd 3 being an expansion PN character (we are used to seeing alpha characters in this position). The prefix AJ identifies the PN as being very early, but also used on later models.

As mentioned, it will be found in the 3000 Group (Steering).

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Red face Re: Mercury Bearing Number Part ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
AJ 33770-A

Basic PN 33770 is a Chassis PN, the 2nd 3 being an expansion PN character (we are used to seeing alpha characters in this position). The prefix AJ identifies the PN as being very early, but also used on later models.

As mentioned, it will be found in the 3000 Group (Steering).
I made a misnomer...

The 1st 3 of the Basic PN 33370 is the expansion character (in this particular numbering system). It should read 3-3370 in the MERC TEXT (which I don't have). This allowed more Basic PN's within a section (3000 in this case).

Maybe the attached will help. FORD-MERC-LINC-EDSEL all had their separate catalogs and differing systems but all began to be combined in 1960.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-1959 LINC MPC.jpg (73.3 KB, 9 views)

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

Old 02-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
Rowdy
BANNED

Thanks for the insight. Rod
Old 02-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
KULTULZ

Post Re: Mercury Bearing Number Part ID

The PN (as used in this instance/time period) must have been unique to MERC as I have not found it in either the 49/59 FORD MPC or the 56/59 LINC MPC.

Is there a chance of getting a photo of the bag?

Old 02-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #12
Rowdy
BANNED

Pic's sometime between now and Saturday afternoon. Have to spend about 4 hrs getting pic's for ebay stuff and listing stuff. Thanks Rod