Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #21
Ian1932

Default Re: Installing a 32' Roadster Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpm View Post
Hi Ian,

Beautiful prep work and informative instructions here!

I did notice that you have 37-41 spindles I think with an after market "hairpin" steering arm. I had originally planned doing the same. I changed my mind after searching on "bump steer" and whether this arrangement could be a geometry error. I bought kingpins from Richard Lacy and talked to him about the steering arm. He highly suggested using the 32 spindle which I also had.

Glenn
Ok, thanks! I see what your saying...I have some spindles sandblasted in the basement. Maybe ill just change it out...Thanks for the details! Great info. Ill look at some drag links today. Can i shorten one to compensate? Maybe my dad already did that? My fathers memory has kinda gone down hill but at the time he knew what he was doing, he just cant remember. The entire front end that i used was on a driving car just the way that is shown now. My dad was a machine repair man for a steel mill. Their house is full of milling machines and lathes and...I made the bronze shackle bushing that you can kinda see in the photos on the lathe myself. Pretty proud of that...Thanks for all your input!
Ian1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:27 AM   #22
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Given the level of detail and quality of the work that I can see in the photos, I'd complete the chassis before I put the body on. I'd put the engine/transmission in and I'd even complete the exhaust system. There is no reason to do this stuff afterwards, when you can do it now. Also, complete ALL the brake system - as running the lines and getting everything tidy is a lot of work (especially if you don't have a lift). If you don't have a complete brake system, I highly recommend and I'll say that twice . . . I highly recommend the Early V8 Garage and Richard Lacy. There is nobody that makes more complete and awesome brake systems than he does. Yes, it is not cheap, but his parts, craftsmanship and level of completeness is not rivaled by anybody else in the business. Lastly - you have a fantastic project/car . . . very glad to see that you are honoring what your Father wants - that makes me smile!

Thanks for the compliments! Motivation comes from it! Dad tears up when he sees this thing slowly come together. When i started this car i asked him what he was going to do. I wrote in down verbatim and am trying do do as he wanted. My dream is to drive him to a local show and have people oogle over it. Everything was broke down it pcs and brought to bare metal. Im at the point where i just need to put it together. Engine will be ready in march! Going to send out the tranny as i just dont know enough...
Old 11-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #23
glennpm

Good!

Regarding "I have some spindles sandblasted in the basement. Maybe ill just change it out..."; if they're 32 spindles I'd think about putting them on. You will need a spacer ring kit that Richard sells here: http://www.earlyv8garage.net/

Post a picture of your drag link and we'll be able to tell if it looks like it would work.

You are very fortunate to have all your Dad's work behind you and that he is getting to see it come together!

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:18 PM   #24
Ian1932

Soon to be revealed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2546.jpg (31.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2547.jpg (66.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2548.jpg (77.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2549.jpg (22.1 KB, 83 views)
Old 11-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #25
Bored&Stroked

RE: 32-34 front spindles: I would definitely run these - they are just "right" on a car like this (they look right, they fit right, they're designed for the 32 drag link, etc).

BUT - as you have a fairly large drop in your front axle, you will probably NOT be able to just put them on the car. The reason is that the stock tie-rod will most likely hit your stock-styled wish bone arms. This requires that the stock steering arms be heated and correctly bent. Now, it is not that hard to do - if you know WHAT to do and have the proper tools, jigs to do it (starting with an acetylene torch with a big rosebud tip). In addition - the geometry needs to be correct (on the arms) - so everything fits as it should . . . using a stock 32 drag link and tie rod (which look the best). Depending on your front axle width - you'll probably need to shorten your stock tie-rod by about 1 1/4" and re-thread it - or you'll not be able to correctly set the toe-in.

Also, the king pins need to be precisely fitted to the spindles - and you'll need new spindle bushings. I prefer to have my bushings HONED to fit . . . with a very tight fitment.

I would contact Okie Joe Casto - he can do the work on your spindles (he also will magnaflux the results - which is very important to me!). He also correctly fits the king pins - which is very important. I'd suggest you drop him an email and get your spindles setup correctly . . . this is not an area to experiment on.

[email protected]

Good luck!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #26
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Question: In looking at your photos, I spied a couple things in the front-end that are a bit strange.

1) The front axle has been dropped - though it appears to be a later axle - maybe a 33-34, doesn't look like a 32. (No big deal, has nothing to do with safety or use).
2) I saw a couple photos where the driver's side of the front wishbone looks to have a major kink/bend in it?? If what I see is correct, then it should be corrected. Maybe that wishbone was used with some later engine conversion (some big OHV V8) - but it should not be that way for an original flathead and I'd question the geometry of the front end as such. In my mind, this needs to be addressed.

Here is the picture I'm talking about:

Attachment 412753
Dont get me wrong i am happy about, but, i wish i would have found these earlier...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2550.jpg (25.3 KB, 73 views)
Old 11-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #27
NealinCA

A related question. Does the frame welt go front to back all the way on the frame, under the firewall feet, front fenders and gas tank, or just under the body itself.

Thanks,

Neal
NealinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:46 PM   #28
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealinCA View Post
A related question. Does the frame welt go front to back all the way on the frame, under the firewall feet, front fenders and gas tank, or just under the body itself.

Thanks,

Neal
I made a post called "frame webbing" David answered this question with great detail. Check it out! He posted pictures as well...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=frame+webbing
Old 11-18-2019, 12:51 PM   #29
Ian1932

Quote:
Good!

Regarding "I have some spindles sandblasted in the basement. Maybe ill just change it out..."; if they're 32 spindles I'd think about putting them on. You will need a spacer ring kit that Richard sells here: http://www.earlyv8garage.net/

Post a picture of your drag link and we'll be able to tell if it looks like it would work.

You are very fortunate to have all your Dad's work behind you and that he is getting to see it come together!

Glenn
Here are the drag links i could find. There are more but ill have to go back and try to find them...Thanks for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2663.jpg (89.2 KB, 72 views)
Old 11-18-2019, 12:54 PM   #30
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Only the second one from the right will work with you current setup.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:57 PM   #31
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Only the second one from the right will work with you current setup.
Is it because i can adjust the length it seems? Thanks for your help!
Old 11-18-2019, 01:03 PM   #32
JSeery
Member Emeritus

You need the adjustment, but you also need that type of tie-rod end if you use the loop on your spindle. Unless there is some type of adapter for a ball to mount in the loop.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #33
DavidG

Nick,

FYI, the two long ones in your photo of drag links appear to be stock '32s. The one on the far left appears to be a stock '33-'34 drag link and the Pitman arm attached to it the same.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:18 AM   #34
glennpm

Hi Ian,

As JSeery noted, the second one from the right is the only one that could work for you. Make sure that you center the steering wheel, align the front wheels to straight ahead and then adjust the drag link length to just fit into the Pitman and steering arm holes.

Regarding your wishbone, there is a very good chance that the axle is being pulled to the left by the bend in the left arm. When the bend was made, it shortened the left side. The metal could have been stretched to compensate but unlikely. Just like with your 32 spindle, better to replace that stuff now even though more prep and paint will be required, then wish you did it later on.

Glenn
Old 11-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #35
Ian1932

Quote:
Hi Ian,

As JSeery noted, the second one from the right is the only one that could work for you. Make sure that you center the steering wheel, align the front wheels to straight ahead and then adjust the drag link length to just fit into the Pitman and steering arm holes.

Regarding your wishbone, there is a very good chance that the axle is being pulled to the left by the bend in the left arm. When the bend was made, it shortened the left side. The metal could have been stretched to compensate but unlikely. Just like with your 32 spindle, better to replace that stuff now even though more prep and paint will be required, then wish you did it later on.

Glenn
Glenn, my father did the mods so im sure it was done correctly...He is no ding dong and has built several cars from ground up, lol... When i mounted the frame over the spring the ball fit in the socket perfectly. If it was to be pulling i would think i would have really needed to pull on as the spring in kinda trapped in the front cross member channel. This is a totally different frame that the front end can from also. I did find 2 more that were not modified, i should, but really dont want to take that all apart again. The spindle i can change out basically at any time though...Thanks for your input and helping me get this done correctly! It is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 11-19-2019, 11:01 AM   #36
glennpm

Hi Nick, sorry for calling you Ian! I was corrected offline ;-)

Glenn
Old 11-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #37
glennpm

Hi Nick,

You may be okay, just take a couple of measurements for each leg of the wishbone. Better to replace it now than later especially since you have a couple that you could use.

Glenn
Old 11-19-2019, 11:18 AM   #38
Ian1932

Quote:
Hi Nick, sorry for calling you Ian! I was corrected offline ;-)

Glenn
Glenn, my name is Ian, my middle name is Nick. My family started to call me Nick because that was my grandfathers name and they said i was a spitting image of him. It has really stuck. I actually introduce myself as Nick. Most people call me Nick but then most people call me Ian, lol. It doesnt matter, im so used to it now after these years...All my friends and family call me Nick, the people i dont know call me Ian, lol.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #39
DavidG

Ian/Nick,

I'm the guilty party regarding spilling the beans regarding your name. I hope there's no offense, as none was intended.

David/Dave
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #40
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Ian/Nick,

I'm the guilty party regarding spilling the beans regarding your name. I hope there's no offense, as none was intended.

David/Dave
lol, none at all...If you saw me and yelled either, i would look!