Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
Nick in Fayetteville

Default lube for trans and rearend

I imagine that this has been covered before, but I am new to the '40 Ford. What lube should I use in the trans and rear end. Also, what is the best weight oil to use in the '51 Ford flathead motor?
Nick in Fayetteville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
ford3

Default Re: lube for trans and rearend

140w in trans and rear end as per motors manual. use any major brand 20-50 detergent oil, now your going to get people saying use 600w oil in trans and rear end, but 600w does not have anti foaming agents, anti acid agents, anti moister agents and anti wear agents, that is an oil that was formulated 100 yrs ago and cannot compare to any modern trans and rear end oil
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
CC33

I went through this last year. The general consensus was for the trans and rear, use 140W. I use Lubriplate 140W from Restoration Supply Co. in Escondido, CA. 800-306-7008. It runs $17 a quart, so don't spill any.
CC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Ken Arms

so 90w is too light? Ken
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
ford3

90w for trans if you live in real cold country, 140w may make trans slow and hard to shift untill the oil has warmed up
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
rotorwrench

SAE 90 GL4 (or GL1 if you can't find GL4) usually works OK if the unit is not overfilled. The old GL3 that was used back in the day has not been available for many years now. If the unit is a leaker, the SAE 140 is most folks choice. Most oil at the auto parts places is GL5 and multi vis and has more high pressure additives than was recommended for trannys with yellow metal bushings & blockers in them. GL5 will work in a pinch and works just fine in a rear axle but I wouldn't recommend leaving it in a tranny for a very long period.

Any lube is better than none.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
KansasV8

I use 600w steam cylinder oil. I got a barrel of mobil 600w years ago from a steam friend of mine who wanted to start using a compound oil in his steam engines. That's the stuff Henry used. I can't believe they are getting over $7 for a quart. When you pour it out I'll bet 1/3 is still in the plastic bottle!
KansasV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
rotorwrench

Ford used 600W up through the model A days but went on to the SAE stuff when the standards got recognition. None of the later manuals or service bulletins mention the 600. There was no standard associated with the 600 but it was likely near the SAE 140 or above.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

600 shouldn't come near a spiral geared trans...for this just look in your owner's manual or a Ford service manual. They specified 90 or 140 based on temperature, and the 140 should likely get the nod if trans is a bit loose with age.
The same numbers Ford called for are still at the car parts stores, and the modern ones are presumably vastly better than those available 70 years ago. Spiral gears and then the even more stressed offset gears brought in all sorts of additives and lube tech and you sure do not want anything that Ford dumped as soon as the formulations for modern gears came out in '32!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote