Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
LarryinWA

Default Fan question

Maybe a dumb question but does a 4 blade fan cool better than a 2 blade? I would think so since it is moving more air? I am replacing a 45 year old water pump with 4 blade fan and am thinking of putting on a new 2 blade aluminum one since one of you suggested that. This is not a show car.
LarryinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Fan question

There was a study a while back that indicated the 2 blade moved more air than a 4 blade or the plastic six blade, if I recall correctly.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
28ACoupe

No. The four blade fan does not move more air and is much more prone to breakage than the aftermarket two-blade fans.

Also, they don't look right on these cars. Not as bad as the plastic crap I see on some rigs, but just not right.
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinWA View Post
Maybe a dumb question but does a 4 blade fan cool better than a 2 blade? I would think so since it is moving more air? I am replacing a 45 year old water pump with 4 blade fan and am thinking of putting on a new 2 blade aluminum one since one of you suggested that. This is not a show car.
Actually this not the case.

The original Model A two blade fan was made to be 'aerodynamic.' It has the curves in the right spots to "guide" the air through it in most efficient manner.

The four blade fan was not made so aerodynamic - and the thought has been since and confirmed by testing that the blades are actually getting in their own airstream.

And the truth be known - once the vehicle is above say 20 mph, the fan, any fan, actually impedes airflow through the radiator.

Ford did put 4 blade fans on the later trucks - alongside the thicker radiators. Partly in error since they didn't do a lot of testing - but also because speeds on the roads were not to our present level - the fans might be mostly used below that threshold to where they are advantage?

The riveted 4 blade fans HAVE had some instances of the rivets becoming loose. I have one of these on the Gordon-Smith compressor in my avatar and intend to check this.

I also have a couple of the two blade fans that are made similarly - but these blades bolt to the turned steel hub - so shouldn't be a problem this way.

I think for my driver, I will be getting a new aluminum fan. There are few bad reports on these except some early production having the taper mount made incorrectly - but this has been solved on what is available now.

Joe K
Old 04-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
Purdy Swoft

The original two blade and the repro aluminum fans have more pitch than the old model 46 four blade truck fans. The aluminum repro two blade fan moves more air and is more safe. I agree with Joe K.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Joe,

Minor correction, the four blade fan was used on all 4 cylinder vehicles (trucks and passenger cars) from 1933 to 1934. It was also the replacement fan Ford dealers installed on all 1928 through 1934 vehicles according to the Green Bible.

Charlie Stephens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
Actually this not the case.

The original Model A two blade fan was made to be 'aerodynamic.' It has the curves in the right spots to "guide" the air through it in most efficient manner.

The four blade fan was not made so aerodynamic - and the thought has been since and confirmed by testing that the blades are actually getting in their own airstream.

And the truth be known - once the vehicle is above say 20 mph, the fan, any fan, actually impedes airflow through the radiator.

Ford did put 4 blade fans on the later trucks - alongside the thicker radiators. Partly in error since they didn't do a lot of testing - but also because speeds on the roads were not to our present level - the fans might be mostly used below that threshold to where they are advantage?

The riveted 4 blade fans HAVE had some instances of the rivets becoming loose. I have one of these on the Gordon-Smith compressor in my avatar and intend to check this.

I also have a couple of the two blade fans that are made similarly - but these blades bolt to the turned steel hub - so shouldn't be a problem this way.

I think for my driver, I will be getting a new aluminum fan. There are few bad reports on these except some early production having the taper mount made incorrectly - but this has been solved on what is available now.

Joe K
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post

...The riveted 4 blade fans HAVE had some instances of the rivets becoming loose...
That's what mine did -- cost me a new radiator!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
28ACoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
That's what mine did -- cost me a new radiator!
The four-bladed fans I have seen come apart actually work-hardened and broke at the joint.

Fan+Radiator=Not a pretty picture.
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
CarlG

Last summer we had a rash of 4-blade fan failures. 2 of them broke at the joint and spun the blade off as 28A described. The other 2, the rivets that hold the 4 blades to the hub failed. One was caught before it got into the radiator, unfortunately mine wasn't. Both of the fans with rivet failures were subsequently repaired by replacing the rivets with aircraft grade bolts and lock nuts, and have been working just fine since then.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
rprice

The 2 blade aluminum fan is well made and works extremely well. I've had no problems with overheating since installing this fan.
Rog
rprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
stainless steve

mine had a 4 blade on it and the key way on the water-pump was hogged out from it
stainless steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:57 PM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28ACoupe View Post
No. The four blade fan does not move more air and is much more prone to breakage than the aftermarket two-blade fans.

Also, they don't look right on these cars. Not as bad as the plastic crap I see on some rigs, but just not right.
What an OFFENSIVE thing to say!!! I have a 6 blade, BLACK PLASTIC fan & it looks GREAT & by the way, my car AIN'T no "RIG"!!!
Both my cars have been MAFCA's Cars of The Day, in the past.----Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VERMIN.jpg (93.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg MINERVA CC.jpg (97.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #13
Bill Goddard

Is the aluminum fan available yet? Bill G
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:46 AM   #14
Marshall57

I have been looking into fans and have not been able to find an aluminum fan anywhere, but in the Mac's catalog they have a chart that shows the amount of air moved at different rpms. It seems that at low rpms the four bladed fan is the best and at speed the two bladed fan is the best. It is interesting to note that on the highway the fan is of little use or like JOE K said:
"And the truth be known - once the vehicle is above say 20 mph, the fan, any fan, actually impedes airflow through the radiator."

So it seems to me that unless you are parading the two bladed Aluminum fan is the way to go,,, and I am looking for one for the trip to the Nationals.
I hope they become available soon.
Marshall57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #15
rocket1

I use to run a 4 blade riveted fan that I bought in a flea mkt. in the 60's,it was extremely heavy,took it off the water pump brgs. were wearing prematurely,run a stock fan,hard to find a good one now.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote