Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2019, 10:33 PM   #161
davids2toys

Default Re: 36 Ford drag link orientation question

V8coopman...what a tease!
davids2toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:40 PM   #162
davids2toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-MI View Post
This is an old swap item. I have never done it but I torn down a '46 Ford two years ago for parts that had an 8BA engine in it. It had the early pan for steering clearance. I sold the pan(and pump), a month ago for $50 bucks to a guy who was going to use it on a '35 he was putting a '53 Mercury engine into. They are still out there. A quick check on the web found two (kinda pricey). The part numbers you should look for are: 8CM6675C or 8CM6675D. The oil pump is: 8CM6600B, the oil screen is 8CM6615.

Hope this helps.

Tom
I just did a search on all of the numbers and found nothing at all for sale? Could you post a link?
Old 11-06-2019, 12:51 AM   #163
V8COOPMAN

Can anybody remind me what is the purpose of the angle bracket bolted onto the rear of this '49 Merc pan? It's been so long that I just don't remember. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:58 AM   #164
glennpm

Hi DD,

I think it is to provide additional stiffness and support of the starter plate/flywheel cover, but the starter is well supported anyway with the through bolts. Seems like you could run without the bracket. Maybe a few starts by a helper while you're looking at the starter and plate.

Vanpelts page on this is good:

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...s-adapters.htm

Glenn

Last edited by glennpm; 11-06-2019 at 07:23 AM.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:05 AM   #165
Mart

Extra strengthening brackets like that are often used for "anti beaming". It is to brace the lower edge of the transmission bell to the motor, increasing the beam strength of the whole unit. It is normally to improve NVH qualities. (Noise vibration harshness). Can't say if that was what they were for specifically in this case, but I have seen many applications where they are used.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #166
davids2toys

I ended up purchasing the Lincoln Electric "Port a Torch" oxy acetylene kit. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lincoln-Ele...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
I now need to buy a rosebud tip for this setup I bought. The #1 tip does from 29000-51000 BTU and the #2 tip goes from 44000 -74000BTU. Would anybody know what I would need to buy?
Old 11-13-2019, 10:42 AM   #167
40cpe

I'm not a welding expert, but I have an O/A set up for my use in my shop. I've learned that you can put too large a rosebud on your torch and the acetylene can't produce gas fast enough to fuel the torch. The torch will pop and go out. I read the question and answer section of the link you provided and an answer by Lincoln said "There is not a rosebud heating tip available this this kit."
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:40 AM   #168
davids2toys

Really, I will have to read that. Just read what you read and I think the answer that was given meant there was no rosebud tip included in this kit. I will call and get clarification tomorrow. The tech at Harris today said I need a number one and the tank will handle that fine but not for extended periods. I have been reading a lot of stuff online tonight and it seems you can bend it using the cutting tip but never hitting the cutting lever?? It will take longer to heat but probable a lot safer. I will have to read more
Old 11-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #169
40cpe

It has to do with the size of the acetylene tank. Smaller tanks don't convert the acetone as fast as a larger tank, therefore can't supply enough gas for high consumption tips. Although there is a misprint in Lincoln's answer, I think he meant that there is not a rosebud available that is rated for that size tank. You are on the right track seeking additional information.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:49 AM   #170
davids2toys

As I said, not what they told me yesterday on the phone, but I will call back to get clarification. The reason you are giving is exactly why he was recommending the #1 tip and not a #2. I have been reading some more stuff online and I may try just heating with the cutting tip but never hitting the cutting lever. It will take longer to heat but hopefully will do the job. I have got a lot to learn because I have never operated welding torches before
Old 11-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #171
davids2toys

I called them back and they again recommended the Rosebud tip and tube with the part numbers. They said that post did mean it did not come with the kit and apologized for the misunderstanding. He said with the size of these bottle I wont benefit much with the Rosebud tip vs the cutting tip that comes with the kit. I will give it a try with the cutting tip...and of course I will NOT be hitting the cutting lever...LOL
Old 11-16-2019, 10:40 PM   #172
Tinker

Seems like you are thinking about the issue, very good. Set on a direct. At some point nothing is better then just doing it. Research is crucial. Time to just do it.

I'm a think,think, do guy... not a do,do, think...... I think.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #173
davids2toys

using Oxy/acetylene is serious business from what I am learning. Don't forget, I am totally new to this and I don't want to blow myself up. I ordered a big 6'x8'welding blanket from Amazon last night. I also still need to put the kit together. Very busy at the moment with pre-Winter chore around the house
Old 11-17-2019, 08:13 PM   #174
JSeery
Member Emeritus

A bit of a learning curve, but not that much for non-welding applications. You should be up to speed quickly.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:22 AM   #175
davids2toys

It is more the safety of the whole thing, not getting good at it aspect. I am more worried about what order to shut valves off and turn on stuff, leaks, and stupid mistakes
Old 11-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #176
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I've never had any issue with the equipment itself, more a concern of what is around what you are working on. Grease and other flammable material in the area are what you need to keep an eye on.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #177
cas3

good advise from jseery. years ago i needed a short piece of pipe and the only one i could find was a whole 20' stick. so i drug it into the garage and fired up the torch. while making the cut i heard that familiar "whump" sound that gas makes when lit. the brain remembered it from dad lighting piles of leaves in the fall. anyway, a spark had traveled down the whole length of the pipe and found the tin oil drain pan with some gas in it from cleaning some parts a day or so before. it was outside near the edge of the concrete apron, so i was able to just shove it out on the gravel and tip it over to save my pan. not a crisis, but it very well could have been. keep an eye on where your sparks from a grinder are flyin too, they will always find a rag or paper towel in my mess.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:18 PM   #178
davids2toys

Good advice...thanks
Old 02-19-2020, 12:42 AM   #179
davids2toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Do you have a drop axle also? The weight of the later engine might be lowering things a bit also.

Might think about a drop steering arm. Mods need mods. Drag connects to one spindle (across the car), "tie" rod runs to the other spindle (spindle to spindle). I think most are on board there.

You might have drop spindles for the tie rod. Which why they clear but your steering arm (drag) may not be.

Just a thought.

Is a drop steering arm something you can buy somewhere?
Old 02-19-2020, 02:35 AM   #180
Tinker

or something you can make........ dude figure out what your condition is in. but seriously what are you doing? No doubt we will have another post about oil pans.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-19-2020 at 02:41 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote