Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2019, 09:17 AM   #1
AnthonyG

Default Attaching pics

All my pics r taken w my iPhone 6. 75% of the time no problem attaching to posts. The rest of the time a struggle? Site keeps saying down load failed? Weird thing is when it’s giving me issues even pics I’ve previously sent gives same failed to load message. Is there a Attach Pics 101 I can read & figure this out?
Old 11-14-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Attaching pics

It is almost always the file size. What are the file sizes of the photos you are trying to upload? The size limits are listed on the pup-up. I use an android phone, but I know most photos I take with my phone are in the 1 to 2 Mb range and must be reduced to post. Whenever someone sends my a photo to post for them it is a size issue 99.9% of the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo upload.jpg (37.0 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 11-14-2019 at 09:43 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:49 AM   #3
Charlie Stephens

The problem is probably that the pictures are too large and you need to reduce their size. iPhone and most other photo systems store photos in a JPEG format. When pictures are saved in JPEG the software reduces their size by comparing pixels that are next to each other and combining them into one if they are close. Because of this pictures taken by the same camera will come out different sizes based on the complexity/detail in the image. Sometimes the result is small enough post, sometimes not.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #4
RalphM

Exactly! Same thing with my phone Charlie. A pic of my car in the garage loads all day, but take it outside on a bright day and no joy.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #5
AnthonyG

How do u send pics w/o going advanced? In Post Quick Reply always asks for URL? Do u need to have s website w ur pics stored there? Always thought I was relatively electronically / computer savvy, guess I’m getting the Old Man Brain Syndrome��! I’ll go on the internet & figure out how to reduce file sizes on pics on iPhones. Seems like a real PIA, just getting old & grouchy I guess.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
How do u send pics w/o going advanced? In Post Quick Reply always asks for URL? Do u need to have s website w ur pics stored there? Always thought I was relatively electronically / computer savvy, guess I’m getting the Old Man Brain Syndrome��! I’ll go on the internet & figure out how to reduce file sizes on pics on iPhones. Seems like a real PIA, just getting old & grouchy I guess.
The pop-up window allows a lot of different types of files to be uploaded. URL is not used when loading a photo file from your computer. Just a thought, but are you selecting the proper Upload? The one next to the URL section only works with URL files which has to do with online sites. Are you downloading your photos to your computer and then selecting them to upload to the Barn or are you uploading directly from your phone?
Old 11-14-2019, 10:31 AM   #7
AnthonyG

I always go to advanced & select the plain paper clip. Sometimes works sometimes not. Definitely s file size issue. No easy way to change size of file. I sent file to my notes & saved in notes back to pic app & it worked. Notes must auto change size to fit? Anyway got the pic to down load finally!
Old 11-14-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
AnthonyG

Thx
Old 11-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Many ways to get there as you found out! I downloaded an apt on my phone to do it directly, but much prefer working on my computer.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #10
Ian1932

Quote:
All my pics r taken w my iPhone 6. 75% of the time no problem attaching to posts. The rest of the time a struggle? Site keeps saying down load failed? Weird thing is when it’s giving me issues even pics I’ve previously sent gives same failed to load message. Is there a Attach Pics 101 I can read & figure this out?

Email them from your iphone to yourself. Select medium when propted. Then use those. Or download "Pixresizer" a free software that is easy,only if the files are already on your computer. Images straight from an iphone are too large...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image-1.jpg (8.1 KB, 13 views)
Ian1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
I went to the Apple store and asked about file size on phones. On some models there is a way to change it (I was asking the question to be sure mine was set at the highest resolution). I don't think that reducing the size on the phone is the answer. My advice would be to keep the file size as high as possible on the phone and reduce it afterwards. In my case I load the photos to "Photos" on my MAC and reduce the size when I export them to my desktop or just drag them there. What kind of computer hardware are you using?

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 11-14-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:36 PM   #12
mercman from oz

In my case, my secret weapon is a second Screen. I open up all my pictures on my second screen (right side) where they are all filed in my External Hard Drive. From there, I chose the picture that I want to attach, click onto it (or them), depending on how many pictures you want to attach. I then click onto "email". A window will pop up, similar to the one shown in Post 10. I chose the one down from the top, (not the top one as they are too large). After I have chosen the size, I hit attach, and these pictures will appear as an Attachment in an email ready to send. I don't sent it, but merely drag the Attachments (photos) to the "Manage Attachments" file. All this can be achieved with a single screen, but it is not as easy. This method works for me. Give it a try.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #13
jimTN

would be a lot easier if the forum soft ware automatically downsized pics that are too large to post. Many of us are just not savy to all this.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:13 PM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
would be a lot easier if the forum soft ware automatically downsized pics that are too large to post. Many of us are just not savy to all this.
Think that is how the HAMB works, but a lot of the posters here are not fans of the HAMB format. It is fairly easy to resize photos once you learn how, but there is a bit of a learning curve.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #15
cas3

i prefer to use my digital camera, with the pixel count set low. no need for resizing then on any forum i've been on
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #16
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
i prefer to use my digital camera, with the pixel count set low. no need for resizing then on any forum i've been on
I always use my DSLR with the camera set at the highest resolution and reduce them later. If I constantly changed the resolution I know that sooner or later I would forget and take a lot of important pictures at a low resolution. I would hate to end up with 500 low resolution pictures of Yellowstone Park.

Charlie Stephens
Old 11-17-2019, 12:09 AM   #17
Tinker

It's interesting but phone picture sizes are many times the size of this forum.

Us computer users have the tools to make an image any size. Some sites convert.

Desktops have been systematically discontinued on the openmarket. user only or phones. Content is made from desktops. Well real content.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I much prefer using my desktop when working with photos, but that is not always possible. I downloaded an app on my photo to edit photos (including resizing). Not my favorite way to do it, but it works!