Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
thom

Default different points in my distributor

I opened the distributor on our '28, that appears to be a stock A distributor, and found points and condenser that are not Model A. The points look familiar, like some I have sold as a parts counterman over the past 35+ years so I guess I'll go to the NAPA store where I recently retired from and match them up with something. Is this common practice with A's? I wonder what I would need to do to convert back to stock A parts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190928_101016.jpg (27.7 KB, 152 views)
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: different points in my distributor

Looks like a modern point set up to me. They are Ford points from 54-75 V8’s if I remember the years right.

Mike
Old 09-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
Tacoma Bob

No biggie. "Modern point" conversions are done everyday. Any of the Model "A" Parts house carry original style or this style.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:47 AM   #4
marty in Ohio

I have modern guts in my distributor and the only problem I've ever had has been the condenser. I found that Echlin condenser (part number FA-82) works the best. I found it at NAPA. You should be able to find that quickly given your past.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
Purdy Swoft

The so called modern points haven't been used on modern cars in forty four years , -(If you stop to think about this , its not likely that most parts houses will have them in stock . Most of the so called modern points are foreign made and usually not nearly as dependable as the fifty four to seventy five Ford points or as dependable as the twenty eight through thirty one points . The original style points are more user friendly as in easy to adjust .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
thom

Thanks, I did some research and I value the opinions on here. I now know a little more about the "modern" conversions. My car is running good although the points look like they are burned and the are the copper colored ones, Blue Streak brand, maybe? Not the best quality , if I remember correctly. I believe Echlin from NAPA are probably better. I'm pretty sure the local store I worked at still stocks V8 Ford tune up parts. They/we even still stock the Model A points, but I think they fit some tractor applications too. I might go ahead and replace mine with the "modern" ones for now.

Last edited by thom; 09-28-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:00 PM   #7
thom

I bought a set this evening at the local O'Reilley's because it was convenient. They set I bought would barely open up enough to set to the proper gap. If the slot was any shorter they would not have worked at all. But I got 'em in and it runs fine.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:29 PM   #8
DannL

Mine came from the previous owner with a Nu-Rex distributor plate and 1970'sish points and condenser. I swapped back and forth between original (old parts), original (new parts) and Nu-Rex conversion and I am satisfied that the Nu-Rex plus modern points runs much smoother. One very important part was the "B" cam that came with the Nu-Rex conversion. It made a huge difference.
DannL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:58 AM   #9
Patrick L.

Yep, Ford V8 points [any year]. Problem is quality, hard to find good ones. Of course the good ones, including condensers, are the expensive ones.

I was always told the 'modern' conversions were junk. So I had to try it. Its been working for at least 10 years with no issues. The wireless units seem to have problems though. The original has been rattling around in the rumble seat [just in case] for so long the last time I looked at it it was getting pretty rusty.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:25 AM   #10
Purdy Swoft

I've used the V eight points and the main problem is adjustment !!!!!!! With original points I can hold the feeler gauge in one hand while I adjust the adjustable point with a screw driver in my other hand I avoid the modern points setup completely . . I can make the so called modern points run but you need three hands to get a perfect adjustment with them . The modern condensers that most sell are foreign made and sometimes fail to work , right out of the box .
Old 09-29-2019, 12:34 PM   #11
thom

We drove ours to church this morning and to lunch afterward and I now believe that I wasn't able to get quite enough point gap after all. I suppose I will take them back out and use a tiny file, or a drill bit to make the slot longer so the points will move a little more or maybe try a different brand of points. I should have waited and went to NAPA for some Echlin points anyway.
I might pick up a stock distributor or a plate at the swap meet next weekend too, since I already have new stock A points and condenser.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:38 PM   #12
rocket1

If you buy the Echlin points you will find out they are not made right the contacts will not line up!
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #13
Purdy Swoft

That's what I was afraid of !!!
Old 09-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #14
30 Closed Cab PU

I believe teh Brattons machined point block will solve the points not lining up.

https://www.brattons.com/machined-di...int-block.html
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #15
thom

Actually, I was talking about buying Echlin brand late model V8 points because I don't have a stock Model A mounting plate since my distributor has been converted. If I pick up a stock plate at the upcoming swap meet, I already have a set of stock Echlin A points and condenser. I bought them, and a rotor button before I discovered that mine had been converted.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:15 PM   #16
Purdy Swoft

Snyders offers a new original style USA made upper distributor plate for $8.50 part number A-12151-P .