Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default 2 trannies and a hood

Got a call yesterday from a buddy 2 miles down the road. He knows I'm looking for a 42-'50 3 speed truck transmission. He recalled that a mutual friend had dumped a couple of them under some ford tin in my buddie's lower field. Well, they turned out to be for enclosed driveline. I hear they can be switched over, but not in a huge hurry so I'm hoping one will show up on CL. I was told to help myself to any ford sheet metal as this guy is die-hard chevy. Took a '40 hood, which wasn't too horrible. Can you guys tell me what transmissions these are? Thanks, GB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturday transmissions 006.jpg (49.7 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg saturday transmissions 009.jpg (94.7 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg saturday transmissions 051.jpg (70.1 KB, 99 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:33 PM   #2
RalphM

Default Re: 2 trannies and a hood

One on left is prob late 30's , one on right 40's. But look up the serial #'s on Van Pelts website for exact years.
Too bad your so far away as I have a spare open drive tranny, but I think I'm saving it for my next project, a 42-47 pickup, only problem is it's the only part I have to start with!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
skidmarks

that's a 41 pu hood. worth between $350-$1000. if you were closer to the east cost I would be a buyer for that hood. shipping is just really high
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
Graeme / New Zealand

GB your thread title conjures up an interesting picture.....I was expecting something about a couple of "lady men" and some "greaser" with a slicked back hair do.

Graeme

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
GB SISSON

I was wondering when that would come up! I first started this post by saying this wasn't about a couple of cross dressers and a juvenile delinquent, but decided to erase, in my continuing effort to try to stick to the subject. Great to know the hood is valuable. If someone local wants it I get to Seattle quite often. Do these transmissions have some value as is? And what needs to be changed to run the top loader one in my '47 pu (woodie)?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 02-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
One on left is prob late 30's , one on right 40's. But look up the serial #'s on Van Pelts website for exact years.
Too bad your so far away as I have a spare open drive tranny, but I think I'm saving it for my next project, a 42-47 pickup, only problem is it's the only part I have to start with!
The North pole isn't that far away, but I don't think I can wait til Dec 25th for delivery. Doesn't the polar express have a freight car?
Old 02-28-2016, 02:49 PM   #7
Mart

The trannys have value. The 1st is a straight top with a single detent. Not great but the toploader case is good. The second may have a great set of late gears that could be swapped into the other case. If you can to find an open drive box with the right top even if the gears aren't great the second box may give up good parts to make it good.

Plus there is a UJ, clutch release shafts and forks etc, all good parts.

The second box looks like it has an aftermarket shifter kit on it, that might be of interest to someone.

As said the pu hood is a 41. (wide trim) nice piece for someone.

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
GB your thread title conjures up an interesting picture.....I was expecting something about a couple of "lady men" and some "greaser" with a slicked back hair do.

Graeme
That was my initial thought as well. Ya know like the start of a joke "These two trannies and a hood walk in to a bar..."
Old 02-28-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
GB SISSON

The hood orders a -------

I have been offered a 3 speed from a '52 f1 with the whole column shift set up. Sounds pretty cool for the woodie, but I think I heard here on the barn that I needed one from a '42-'50. Did something change in '51? Horse walks into a bar... Bartender says "why the long face?"
Old 02-28-2016, 09:54 PM   #10
Graeme / New Zealand

........Woody with rocks? Staying on the subject I have only ever seen one F1 with a column shift not sure what year it was but it had a bonus front on it.

Graeme

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:12 PM   #11
alanwoodieman

look on rear of top load case ,just under the shafts--look for 78-0000 which is the best case for a top load and if it has those numbers, you can put the later gears in the case quite easily, with a little work you can use the shift top, but I would look for a double detent shifter/top cover
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:38 PM   #12
willowbilly3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
that's a 41 pu hood. worth between $350-$1000. if you were closer to the east cost I would be a buyer for that hood. shipping is just really high
I bet you could ship it on the bus for $100.
Interesting, I just saw a 49 with 3 speed on the column today. 63 year old lady owned it and had swapped out a 4 speed because she didn't like the double clutching.

Last edited by willowbilly3; 02-28-2016 at 10:44 PM.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:54 PM   #13
Bob G/Spanaway

Guy walks into a bar and says.....Bob Peters here?
Barber says...nope, just a shave and a haircut.
Bob G/Spanaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:59 AM   #14
GB SISSON

Termite walks into bar and says "Is the bar tender?" I have never gotten familiar with what's inside of transmissions. Just the engines. I have collected and repaired ford trucks from the AA's to the early '50s for 43 years. They have always had 4 speed crash box trannies. They always worked fine. Some made more noise than others but I've yet to have one fail. I have never owned or driven a half ton pickup or a car powered by a flathead. This is new territory and I'm up to my ears in building a woodie and an engine for it when I'm not running my small business or dealing with my family. I will continue on my path of working on the wood body and the v8 engine until I find the correct transmission and also a driveshaft. I have a nice '47 half ton in a shed with everything I need but I just can't bear to start pulling parts off such a complete truck. It will help to crawl under it to see just what I need. This 1/2 ton has a stuck 59 ab in it, original paint and interior and I hope to get it up and going next. Could stand some better rear fenders, but these will do for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2835.jpg (84.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2672.jpg (44.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-29-2016, 02:37 AM   #15
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

I have one that I removed from my 51 F-1. It is open drive shaft and column shift.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #16
deuce5wndw

You can use the internals and rear open drive out of the 51 side shift and swap them into the top loader case you have now but you would still need the shifter. You need to order Mac Van Pelt's transmission book! For a guy that can do the woodwork you do a transmission would be a walk in the park!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:30 AM   #17
Firepower flyer

I agree on doing the transmission yourself. I tackled my 50 F1 last winter, complete tear down and rebuild it with parts from Van Pelts. Van Pelts was great to deal with. Just get a nice clean bench and pull it apart, theres diagrams on how it goes back together, not a big deal. Up until then I never had a trans apart in my life.
Firepower flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #18
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce5wndw View Post
You can use the internals and rear open drive out of the 51 side shift and swap them into the top loader case you have now but you would still need the shifter. You need to order Mac Van Pelt's transmission book! For a guy that can do the woodwork you do a transmission would be a walk in the park!
Thanks for the compliment but the sideshift trans in in Montana, owned by a friend on FTE who pulled it for a swap. I would have to buy it and ship it almost 1000 miles, so if I'm gonna do all that I might as well wait for one that just bolts in. I suppose I could borrow the trans and driveshaft out of my '47 half ton. I will need to pull the engine anyway. That gives me a perfect bolt in situation and gives me a year or two to come up with a replacement. It's also 200' away. Not really what I want to do though. I would do a tear down and gear swap if that '51 or '52 side shift was close by and inexpensive. The '51 is in Tennesee. Hoping to get to the huge Portland swap meet in April. Haven't been in 25 years. I'm thinking that should yield something. Thanks for all the help so far.