Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2021, 04:20 AM   #1
ADB

Default 1928 Phaeton windshield gasket

Good day to all
Am new to the group and am based in South Africa
I own a phaeton 1928 and I would like to replace the rubber seal/gasket of the windshield, the current one is in a very bad shape and I would like to know if there are instruction on how to do it, am assuming than the glass must be removed from the frame, some guidance will be appreciated thank you.

[ATTACH]gasket 28.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1928.jpg (27.4 KB, 56 views)
ADB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:05 AM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: 1928 Phaeton windshield gasket

If I did this again, I would run the lower windshield rubber gasket past the end of the windshield frame, rather than cutting it off like I did. Let the rubber overlap the base of the stanchion an eighth inch or so. You may think, "What's the problem, it's an open car?" If you happen to get caught in a rain storm, water will seep in on those end gaps. If you are replacing the rubber gasket in the stanchion, then you will need to remove the windshield/frame assembly from the car. It's easy on an open car. No need to remove the glass from the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-P1160376.jpg (42.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 2-P1160377.jpg (35.1 KB, 29 views)
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #3
al's28/33

As Mike mentioned, if it is only the bottom flap gasket it runs in a channel along the outside bottom of the frame. A little Vaseline will help guide it all the way. Let the whole thing sit in the warm sun for a bit to soften the rubber and aid with installation. Pull tug push and pull and it will go. Have it extend beyond the edges of the frame for a better looking fit once remounted between the stanchions.
For the interior gasket surrounding the glass---- there are a couple of screws on each side to remove and the top frame section can be pulled out then you can remove the glass and fit the new rubber gasket. Best to check your glass at this point too for any imperfections and make certain it is SAFETY GLASS. It takes lots patience but you will fit everything back together. Good luck!!!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:42 PM   #4
Brentwood Bob

My windshield glass replacement series is for the closed car, but should be helpful if you can sit thru the series.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uW_RxKdCoxs
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:36 AM   #5
ADB

Yes it is the bottom flat gasket than I want to replace, I will check for the channel at the bottom of the frame and follow your instructions, once completed I will up load some pictures, thank you very much for the advice.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:56 PM   #6
ADB

Hi Again
I would like to share my experience replacing the bottom gasket of the windshield of my phaeton 1928.

At the beginning I was looking for the channel access, on the side of the bottom frame, which I never found, am not sure if it is blocked or if it is there.
Inspecting the bottom frame I discover a hole not far from one side of the frame (see picture) and I decided to work from there.

The hole looks like it is original on the frame without any sharp ends. I don’t know the purpose of the hole and I did some research. I didn’t find good information regarding the frame or the guide for the replacement of the gasket.

To remove the old gasket was a tedious job, it brakes easily and some time will not slide into the channel. I was cutting small pieces about 2 inches long and slide it out of the hole. I cleaned the channel and made sure it was free of any rubber, until the gasket was completely removed.

To insert the new gasket was simple. I applied a silicon spray on the channel and on the gasket and started at the access hole from left to right (looking from outside at the front of the car), the gasket ran in easily.

The most complicated part was at the end. For the last part to run, the gasket to the left side of the hole position. There is no room to slide the gasket so I pressed in with a wide screwdriver, making sure not to damage the gasket.

[IMG]https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/picture.php?
albumid=5422&pictureid=43791[/IMG]

Old 05-09-2021, 01:07 PM   #7
wrndln

I have a question about the windshield gasket related to this post. When installing the rubber weatherstrips in the stanchions, is any glue used to keep the rubber strips in the stanchion slots or nothing?
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:52 PM   #8
Brentwood Bob

The metal is crimped to hold the gasket in place.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:14 PM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

In another post I started, I am finding that after the rubber was removed from the Stanchions, the new rubber that I am going to put into them, is just to loose. I don't think it will crimp any more than what it was originaly.

Therefore it is either find some that has a wider "trough section" on the rubber or glue it in.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote