Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2024, 07:32 PM   #9
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: 1937 21 Stud Oil pan front and rear seal and gasket clarification.

When I build a Ford flathead I do not cut the front rope seal flush with the pan and front cover. The way I do it is simply trim the cork gasket around the rope seal that's protruding out of the front cover. By doing it this way the each end of the rope seal is touching the other end of the rope seal now its sealing correctly around the seal surface of the pulley. I never place a cork gasket in between the ends of the rope seal doing this creates a void in the rope seal which is not how a rope seal is designed to work correctly.

At the rear of the block I place the cork gasket into the relief in the main bearing cap and then place the cork seal around the main bearing cap each end pushing onto the ends of the oil pan gasket. The area where the cork on the cap meets the oil pan gasket I put a small amount of sealer in that area.
That's how I do it with perfect results a few hundred times so far. Including at 200 MPH
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote