Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #41
MrTube

Default Re: a/c in model a ford

I was without A\C in my daily driver for all of 2 months before I snapped and said enough is enough. Sitting in dead stopped traffic every day in central NJ on 90+F days listening to 5+ other peoples music was just too much for me.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #42
Wide Whites

I think Jason has convinced me to put a/c in my roadster!! Can I cut holes in the seat and run vents to the rumble seats? Just kidding Jason! I want to look into a/c if/when I get a fordor!

let me know if you could use an extra hand when you install a/c in the vicki. I'd like to see how it goes so I can do it down the road.
Wide Whites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #43
48Ratfink

Its been bordering 100 here and I also roll down My windows and ride with a big smile!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
BAD Rumer !!.. Would not put one in either of my cars if you gave me one.. P.S. It was 97 here yesterday & very HUMID.. My 28 Coupe & I were just fine with the windows open..
48Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #44
Pilotdave

Been doing some research on power consumption given my concerns (another thread) about poor performance of my Tudor which runs a 6v 30a alternator.

IF (big "if") I have it right, a 6v generator putting out 10a would consume about 0.12 hp [7.2v x 10a, 20% efficiency loss, 746 watts/hp]. A 12v alternator putting out 60a would consume something a tad north of 1.6 hp. [14.2v x 60a, 30% efficiency loss.] A 6v 30a alternator would consume about 0.4 hp. So there is a hp price to pay for switching from Henry's generator to an alternator. What's unclear is whether that price is large enough to matter (to those who would choose to go this route) in terms of performance penalty.

Happy to have someone check my math and theory - this is definitely not my area of expertise! And thanks to those above who posted similar material.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #45
dmaxweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCup View Post
I can imagine that this unit would run you out of a coupe in a heartbeat. My cousin in Melissa, Tx. has one of Ken's units in his Fordor and wouldn't be without it. A smaller blower unit would be a nice touch. These blower units look like the ones I had in my 63 implala.

ditto on a smaller blower unit. can't give up the leg room.
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #46
Jason in TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCup View Post
I can imagine that this unit would run you out of a coupe in a heartbeat. My cousin in Melissa, Tx. has one of Ken's units in his Fordor and wouldn't be without it. A smaller blower unit would be a nice touch. These blower units look like the ones I had in my 63 implala.
I run one in my cabriolet, the same cabin space as a coupe and the biggest struggle with the unit is how insulated you can make your vehicle. You see, the unit is taking the ambient air from around your feet and the firewall, pulling it into the under-dash unit via "squirrel cage motors" blowing that warm air across the evaporator coils (small icy cold radiator inside the blower unit) and out into the car.

If you feed the unit 100 degree air, it has to cross the cold coils and cools the air down to 80. But what is supposed to happen is that now 80 degree ambient air that is in the car passes across the coils agian and cools it down to 70 degree air.

If the car isn't insulated enough, or the toe board or firewall isn't insulated enough, you continue to struggle with cooling really warm air. So the key to comfort is in how well your car can keep the heat out.

Adding the plastic molded firewall insulator that Snyders and Brattons sells is a great idea, or some people go to home depot and purchase outdoor carpet that is almost an exact match to the carpet sold by Lebarron Bonney for our cars. Making a carpeted firewall, with some foil or jute insulation behind it is very helpful. Also the exhaust manifold having the heat shield over it is of additional help.

If you made the motors smaller, or the unit smaller, you are in essence reducing the effectiveness of the unit. And due to the fact that our cars have a gas tank as our dash, this can't be hidden behind it like our modern cars have. Guaranteed that your Honda, Chevy or Ford has a larger evaporator and fan than this hang down unit has. It's actually very small and efficient already. Also, there is plenty of leg room still as well.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #47
MrTube

Jason,
I believe many 1970s-1990s cars had air conditioners that were in the neighborhood of 28,000BTUs. It is not easy to cool a car off as you stated even when they are insulated. Plenty of glass on all sides and on newer cars you must have some fresh air circulation. Obviously 28,000 BTUs is NOT a small unit by any means.

I like the idea of mounting the unit on top of the car in a cylindrical shaped enclosure painted white . Hmmmmm.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #48
Jason in TX

You are on to something!!!

Heck, just remove the top insert and put the monitor top on there instead. Generator on the luggage rack.

You'll have the coldest head and shoulders in town!! Work it right and you could make it snow inside the car during Christmas time!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote