Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #21
Jason in TX

Default Re: a/c in model a ford

No problem at all MrTube. I enjoy doing the research and learned more about the system in the process. I actually spoke to Ken today and I joked around with him about posting the info!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #22
azmodela
BANNED

The compressor consumption shown in the chart posted by Jason is measured in kW, which is also a metric horsepower measurement. That's different than the mechanical horsepower that you're trying to compare it to. One metric HP is the equivalent to 1.3 mechanical HP which would put it at 2.6 HP for 2000 compressor rpm and 5.2 at 3000 compressor rpm. A rule of thumb is the compressor turning about half of the engine rpm. That of course varies on systems, pulleys and other things. They can get even lower with some of the systems mentioned, look into the compressor draw on cars like Civics, Prius, and other for 1 to 2 hp draws.
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

Now I get it............it's all these modern cars with air conditioning that is causing global warming!
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #24
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
Air conditioning for me is opening up the front window with the other 2 down Cummon, do you really need AC in a Model A!!?!?!?!?

Me too, I thought the A/C was the open front window. You either open it one notch or all the way. Maybe that is bad for the ladies hair!

All kidding aside, great report on A/C.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #25
Jason in TX

Not going over 72 degrees for the next 10 days in Banks Oregon?
Sounds like beautiful Model A'ing weather!!

Last edited by Jason in TX; 06-22-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #26
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
Not going over 72 degrees for the next 10 days in Banks Oregon?
Sounds like beautiful Model A'ing weather!!
haha and it's suppose to be above 95 for the next seven days here in the dfw metroplex. People just dont understand how hot it really is in an A in texas. Once you add in outside heat, plus heat coming from the engine compartment and exhaust. Inside the car it easy reaches temps breaking 100 degrees and it kills you while sitting in traffic, with no air to blow threw that open front windshield and windows. A/C allows people to tour in their A's all year long in texas and other hotter southern states. Plus you have to add in the health factor, some of the older people in the clubs need the A/C so they can keep driving their cars longer.

If you dont want an A/C in your car, dont put one in it. problem solved. jmho
Old 06-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #27
John Duden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
Jason,

Sorry for being a pain

Looks like that compressor consumes around 4HP at 2000 rpm and as high as 5.3HP at 3000rpm. Not sure what RPM it spins on the A but I guess its moot.

4-5HP is a small price to pay to be comfortable and as I said I love the install.

In response to Fred's comment, QUESTION, what makes you happy when you drive your model A? If its A\C then by all means put it in!. If its a high compression head, high performance cam and overdrive, put it in!.

If its driving a 100% STOCK model A then that is exactly what you should do. Each person has their own opinions and thats how it should be.

I second that, what ever makes you happy, Just go with it. Wether it is putting on a accesory, or cutting the frame or different wheels, Or how much you spend on a part, it is yours and it is to fit your will,

I am installing rear shock asorbers in my early 28 truck, i am going to use two out of a 95 ford f350 so it rides nicer and does not bounce or shake the truck apart
Just my 2 cents
John
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #28
40 Deluxe

If efficient, affordable add-on A/C were available in 1930, there would have been A's lined up for blocks waiting to have it installed! (At least if it weren't for the Depression!)
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #29
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
If efficient, affordable add-on A/C were available in 1930, there would have been A's lined up for blocks waiting to have it installed! (At least if it weren't for the Depression!)
What cost $1000 in 2010 would cost $70.53 in 1931.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #30
MrTube

I have to agree with fordgarage on this one. I drove a 92 chevy c2500HD which had a gross weight of 8600lbs for years and the shocks in the rear were unbelievable. I could never see putting them in any kind of car or even a light truck.

Would they even fit under a model A? They were like 4 or 5 inches in diameter.

One time I had a dumb moment and tried to impress a friend with a burn out. I popped the clutch in 2nd gear and the wheel hop ripped both shocks out of the frame. Never did it again.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #31
John Duden

ours rides really nice, maybe becuase dad made his own bed for the back, and it is really heavy, and they will have more resistance on them
John
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #32
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
QUESTION, What did people do in Texas ... when it got "HOT" back in the day with any Model "A...??...
Look up Air Conditioning on the Sacramento Vintage Ford site:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02949-10460 Air Cond.jpg (52.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #33
azmodela
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
haha and it's suppose to be above 95 for the next seven days here in the dfw metroplex. People just dont understand how hot it really is in an A in texas.
I think I understand. I'll take your "above 95" over our temps any day.
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #34
Fred
BANNED

I guess my POINT is, you have only a little H/P to start with, Then we add A 12v. Alt. extra lights etc. Now we add an A/C unit that WILL use more H/P.. But we still have that little radiator & very small (SO CALLED WATER PUMP).. Can they hold it ?? @ 107 ? What`s next, Lets add Power steering on the other side... Next ?? on Fordbarn will be, I cant understand why I have NO power on hills & it gets HOT real QUICK !!.. How can I fix It ??... Its your car go for it...
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #35
CarlG

One advantage you have here is that the condensor is no where near the radiator, so it's not adding heat there like in a modern car.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #36
Logan

Quote:
I guess my POINT is, you have only a little H/P to start with, Then we add A 12v. Alt. extra lights etc. Now we add an A/C unit that WILL use more H/P.. But we still have that little radiator & very small (SO CALLED WATER PUMP).. Can they hold it ?? @ 107 ? What`s next, Lets add Power steering on the other side... Next ?? on Fordbarn will be, I cant understand why I have NO power on hills & it gets HOT real QUICK !!.. How can I fix It ??... Its your car go for it...
I believe there are over 500 of ken davis' a/c units are in use today all around the world. So he's doing something right. I'm a very close friend of ken's and have watched him make dozens of these units while visiting with him. Yes you have to have a good radiator to be able to use the units, but in texas or anywhere the weather breaks 90 degrees consistantly everybody that drives their cars has a new modern core in their radiators. And the 3 Hp that it takes to run the compressor, you wont feel the difference in the performance. Needless to say i am impressed with kens unit, and everyone that has one loves it. I just ordered mine last week to put in the sedan, and i will be sure to report how it works when it is installed.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #37
TinCup

I can imagine that this unit would run you out of a coupe in a heartbeat. My cousin in Melissa, Tx. has one of Ken's units in his Fordor and wouldn't be without it. A smaller blower unit would be a nice touch. These blower units look like the ones I had in my 63 implala.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #38
48Ratfink

Rumer has it that Fred is going to purchase an a/c unit afterall! I mean why else would He spend so much time on this thread!!!
48Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #39
Fred
BANNED

BAD Rumer !!.. Would not put one in either of my cars if you gave me one.. P.S. It was 97 here yesterday & very HUMID.. My 28 Coupe & I were just fine with the windows open..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #40
Franchise_24

Quote:
BAD Rumer !!.. Would not put one in either of my cars if you gave me one.. P.S. It was 97 here yesterday & very HUMID.. My 28 Coupe & I were just fine with the windows open..
I'll second you on that. But like someone else said, to each their own. I'd never have one, but if someone else wants one, more power to them.
Franchise_24 is offline   Reply With Quote