Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2021, 03:00 PM   #21
38bill

Default Re: Lathe set up help for my shop

Collets are used to hold small round parts instead of using the chuck. The drawbar holds the collets in the head stock arbor. I purchased a set when I bought my lathe and have yet to use them. If your chuck isnt great you may want collets. I do use expanding arbors a lot to hold things like bushings so I can turn the outside. Ebay has some arbors made in the US that look pretty good and are priced ok. The cheaper Chinese sets are pretty bad. Get a free catalog from CDCO and one from Shars. You can learn a lot just looking through them.

You may want to get a quick change AXA tool holder set up. Makes it much easier to change the cutting tools.

I work with a guy who just bought the new Grizzle version of your lathe. Yours looks much more heavy duty. Have fun and wear eye protection.

Last edited by 38bill; 06-15-2021 at 03:07 PM.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:03 PM   #22
rotorwrench

Some folks like the collet type chucks with the release lever set up. I use a pretty good 6-jaw and have a 4-jaw independent chuck if I need it plus a multitude of dog chucks and all sorts of old stuff for turning off center. I seldom use any of that stuff and seldom need the taper attachment but they are nice to have if needed.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:20 PM   #23
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Some folks like the collet type chucks with the release lever set up. I use a pretty good 6-jaw and have a 4-jaw independent chuck if I need it plus a multitude of dog chucks and all sorts of old stuff for turning off center. I seldom use any of that stuff and seldom need the taper attachment but they are nice to have if needed.
Thanks 38Bill
I already have a quick change post coming. That was the first thing my two friends advised me to get and my one friend is making me a new feed screw and nut so I will replace the tool post then!!! One of them is giving me a 4 jaw chuck as he has a few SO he's passing one along. I look at the collet's and suggested catalog and I have been youtubing different lathe operations trying to learn and observe.
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:01 PM   #24
cas3

Yup, a quick change tool post is the way to go. Most likely, you will find you're 3 jaw chuck is not accurate, few are. Only good if you will be making the entire part, inside and outside cuts, then it doesnt matter. The 4 jaw chuck is as accurate as you want to make it, by perfect adjustment. I mostly only use the 4, and have a dial indicator mounted on a magnet that I slam up on the tool post to dial in the part. Seems a hassle at first, but you get good at it
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:07 PM   #25
JWL
Member Emeritus

With 5 lathes in my shop I feel less than rookie status but still learning. Mine range from 12" X 36" to 26" X 10 feet. Most of the work has required less than 12" from chuck face to tailstock. Your pictures show a reasonably rigid little machine which should give you much satisfaction to turn out good parts. Many suggestions have been put forth and many are good, especially those which recommend a very solid, stable, mounting. I suggest you buy a PRECISION level which measures .0002(2/10000) per foot and learn how to use it to level you machine. I have 3 machines with taper attachments which have been used VERY little. One has collets and almost never gets used. So, unless you specifically have jobs aligned do not waste money or time acquiring such options. Have fun.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:10 PM   #26
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Okay 19FOrty

Collets and drawbar??? Educate me on the use and need???
Here's some info. on collets. A drawbar slides thru the spindle and holds the collet in place in the spindle and also tightens the collet around your work. JWL is correct. Collets are a bonus and not used a lot but nice to have if you are machining standard size small dia. stock.
https://www.google.com/search?q=lath...client=gws-wiz
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:45 AM   #27
rockfla

JWL
I have used a machinist level in the past, I used to sell Mitutoyo at a Mill & Industrial Supply Co years ago. I sold a digital readout system to local heavy equipment manufacturer of Forrest fire implements, they had a boring mill for center boring front end loader rakes and plows and I had to install it!!! Took me 9 hours to get 12' runs of the digital readout mirrors .002 level over a 12' run for both A & B axis!!! I have a piece of 1/4" plate steel I plan on mounting the lathe to before I put it on my bench and plan on using diameters of washers as shims to level the plate on my bench?? Good? Bad???

Thanks again 19Forty!!!!

CAS3 Right now I have a mag base and dial indicator to set up and run on my work piece to see IF the material is straight and true in the chuck before I start any work BUT as mention previous One of my machinist friends is digging out an extra 4 jaw chuck he has to give me.....Until then my other machinist friend showed me the mag base/dial indicator routine to make sure the part is running true in the chuck!!!

Last edited by rockfla; 06-16-2021 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #28
JWL
Member Emeritus

My suggestion would be to mount the 1/4" plate securely to the bench top at several points, and then cut appropriate shim stock to level the lathe on the plate/top.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:35 PM   #29
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
My suggestion would be to mount the 1/4" plate securely to the bench top at several points, and then cut appropriate shim stock to level the lathe on the plate/top.

Level from the lathe bed ways? I've got my 1/4 plate and am drilling the holes today!!! Then I will countersink the flat head socket cap screws so it will be flush on the one side!! Then I can go about mounting the lathe to the bench and leveling it!!
Old 06-18-2021, 04:51 PM   #30
19Fordy

rockfl: I'm jealous!!!! But, happy for you. Enjoy.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:17 PM   #31
cas3

When you get it up and running, you will find little projects like this to solve problems. Trying to rebuild the fuel pump for my M38 jeep, the first issue was the tiny gaskets for the check valve that came in the kit had shrunk so they would not fit around the valve without distorting. So, the long rusty cutter on the right, was made to cut the precise size hole for a new gasket, then cut the outer diameter free hand. worked good...I thought. Put it together and it doesn't work! I decided the surface that the gaskets sit on are too corroded and ruff to seat proper, so I made some tools to clean up the surface. The rusty one on the left cuts out a precise size sandpaper disk, and the shiny one in the center will hold the disk with some 3M disk adhesive. A little hand work and I hope to win this time ! again, every growing boy should have a lathe ! And, yes thats an old ford steering shaft used to make the parts. When you have a lathe, you save EVERYTHING thats round !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0841.JPG (89.0 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by cas3; 06-18-2021 at 05:44 PM. Reason: to add
Old 06-18-2021, 05:27 PM   #32
19Fordy

cas3 hit a homerun. When you have a lathe you never throw away bar stock of any shape.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:41 PM   #33
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
rockfl: I'm jealous!!!! But, happy for you. Enjoy.
19Forty
Just a little back story, years ago one of my customers sold me his Logan 1957 lathe for $400. Decent lathe to start and had all kinds of extras, kick change tool post, 3 & 4 jaw chucks, lots of tooling, Chip pan, stand, he set me up and all for $400!!! I had no shop at that time but got it and kept it at work “till” the day. Well, the “day” came and I got a couple of furniture dollys to put it on so another one of my customers with a lift gate truck could roll by and pick it up for me and deliver it to my house. So I got one of my employees to lift it up with the fork lift and set it on the dolly’s and he dropped it, tumping it over busting the feed/speed levers, cracking the gear housing, busting the gear cover etc etc, effectively ruining the lathe!!! I didn’t get mad or yell so maybe this deal was Karma paying me back!!!!

Also as an aside, the guy I got the lathe from had a triple sweet deal on a tremendous Enco geared mill, I just couldn’t swing the $1700 this go round…..too many family “needs” BUT a mill is next In line when the next “deal” comes along!!! Hopefully Karma will remember my sacrifice on this one some point in the future!

Last edited by rockfla; 06-18-2021 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:03 AM   #34
cas3

My first lathe was a big Lodge & Shiply that had been tipped over in a move. It had crude welding on all the levers, but was made to work before I got it. Big, 16 x 6' bed, line shaft driven, babbet bearings wore out, but at 150 bucks in 1982 or so, it was dream come true to a peasant like me at the time. I made a lot, learned a lot, never came close to regretting what most folks, or should I say machinists would consider buying. Lost it in the fire in 2010, and replaced it with a very nice Clausing 14 x48 bought at a school silent auction for 600 bucks. when I picked it up they told me I was the only bidder!!!! Spoiled now, gotta have a lathe. Sometimes it sits for months, sometimes I use it every day, dont matter, gotta have it
Old 06-19-2021, 10:10 AM   #35
19Fordy

rockfla; After reading your 'karma" tale, you definitely are in line for better times ahead.

You definitely have made the right decision by keeping your eyes open for a mill. If you can, find one with automatic table feed, a nice big vise and a rotary table.

I wish you all the best.
The good old days below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1359 (Small).jpg (33.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9357b.jpg (64.1 KB, 72 views)
Old 06-19-2021, 10:33 AM   #36
Mart

I did a quick job on my lathe this morning.
I needed to adapt a 1/4" fuel line to a 5/16" outlet from a pump.
I just turned a piece of brass to 5/16 one end, 1/4" the other, a lump on each end to stop the hose slipping off and a lump in the middle. Then a hole up the middle and job done.
Just an example of the sort of job you can knock out on a lathe at a moment's notice.
It's the one on the top. the first attempt failed when the drill broke out the side.
Mart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14516adaptor.jpg (58.5 KB, 54 views)
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:36 AM   #37
cas3

Nice "free hand " work making those lumps Mart !
Old 06-19-2021, 12:49 PM   #38
19Fordy

Here's my little show and tell. It's not car related but, let's pretend it's a hood ornament,. Made on a South bend 10 in lathe when I was teaching high school metal shop. Even had a few students make a smaller version with an 8 in. barrel.

When you have a lathe the rule is you have to make a brass cannon that fires. Barrel is 17 3/8 in. long with 1/2 in. bore. Carriage is walnut made on the milling machine. Made in 1976 to celebrate 1776. Still have it. OK rockfl, hurry up and get your lathe set up for July 4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4503b.jpg (60.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4500.JPG (146.5 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4504b.jpg (59.9 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 06-19-2021 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:32 AM   #39
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Here's my little show and tell. It's not car related but, let's pretend it's a hood ornament,. Made on a South bend 10 in lathe when I was teaching high school metal shop. Even had a few students make a smaller version with an 8 in. barrel.

Well, ain't that slick! That's NICE, Jim. I didn't see this the first time around. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:15 AM   #40
Karl

I have an old Myford Super 7 with a screw cutting gearbox and also a Myford Rodney Milling attachment as well as taper cutting attachment and dividing head etc . Its old but has been used little in its life .has been well looked after and works well - Its limitations are determined by the operator (ie me) rather than the lathe -its a very useful thing to have in the shop.